DIY Drum Sander...need help to get flat bed

guitarbuilder

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I'd imagine your drum should be running against your feed direction so that doesn't shoot the wood through. I can't remember what my homemade one did, but I think it opposed it.

goodchicken

Tele-Meister
I'd imagine your drum should be running against your feed direction so that doesn't shoot the wood through. I can't remember what my homemade one did, but I think it opposed it.

It is. But the drum tries to lift up light weight pieces as they go through. Basically it just seems that if the board is not very sturdy going through, then the drum will beat the snot out of it. Those light pieces weighted down though, it's working well.

Davecam48

Poster Extraordinaire
So I've almost got a diy drum sander built, similar to many you've probably already seen before, but I have an issue with the bed (part that the wood rides on...there's no conveyor, I'll just push the wood through).

So the was flat...and now it's not lol. I built it with 2 pieces, piece A = .75" particle board, piece B = 1/4" MDF. I glued it up on a flat surface with Titebond 1, and it remained flat for a week as it sat indoors.

Then I left it out in the shop overnight with the hurricane IDA storms rolling through. I'm guessing humidity got to it and now it is bowed ever so slightly.

Any suggestions about trying to fix this? Or maybe building a sturdier bed?

If you use the man made counter top ( mine was called Caesar Stone) material for the top of the drum sander and calibrate the threaded rod to get a perfectly matched amount of movement of the drum either side of it and lock those up with opposing nuts.

I have not needed to "calibrate " my drum since I built it years ago. If you haven't already read this,( https://www.tdpri.com/threads/diy-drum-sander.355171/) do so as my sander still after all this time will flatten a body width piece of timber to a fraction of a millimeter side to side which I'm told by a friend (who owns a hardware store selling all manner of wood working machinery) that even the very expensive machines he sells are mostly unable to produce those results.

Good luck with it all, but the man-made counter "stuff" is really the "Bee's Knees!"

DC