DIY Desk ideas? Examples?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by jsnwhite619, Dec 29, 2019.

1. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Friend of Leo's

We moved to a new house this past summer, and we're still gradually swapping old and new furniture as we get settled in. I need a new desk for my office/music room and consider myself handy enough that I hate the idea of paying retail for what a good, solid desk costs. Anyone here who's got some DIY desk/workbench that they want to show off?

24 track likes this.
  2. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

one of the fine people on site here made a desk using this frame he gave me permission to try this out for a friends console he is building but could be adapted to any thing really

wi0SYXS.jpg

this was the console I built for my usage , a little more elaborate but it works

IMG_0020.JPG

MattyK-USA, Torren61 and jsnwhite619 like this.
  3. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Craigslist or a used office furniture store may be a good place to look

24 track and Torren61 like this.
  4. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

I've been using two short filing cabinets and a blank door since about 1985. Works for me.

5. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I made this out of mahogany and paduak. 24" mahogany center with 9" paduak wings. I had a guy in town here build me a steel square tube frame. I have $450 in the frame, $100 in materials like screws, inserts, keyboard tray, polyurethane, sandpaper and about $400 in the wood. I also have about 20 hours of my labor.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

I buy used stuff from local thrift stores, Goodwill, garage/estate sales, storage unit auctions and office/hotel used furniture liquidators. Sure, they usually have some dings and wear but that way you don't have to worry about ruining them with a stray soldering iron or hobby knife. I typically pay between $5 to $25 for them. If I find something better than what I have, the old goes to a local charity thrift store.

Hint: when you buy at a garage sale where the items have been stored in an outbuilding for a while, make sure you check for stinging or biting pests before grabbing it and trying to move the furniture. I got a good set of wasp stings from one desk I bought.

7. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

I also find old furniture at recycle/thrift/goodwill stores. Well built solid furniture from say about 1970 and older. $50 netted me a very good desk with plenty of storage and a big flat surface. Plenty of drawers and solid wood. No engineered wood products such as particle board. No dumb fasteners that blow out in time.

24 track, rangercaster and bgmacaw like this.
  8. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

+1 This worked for a decade. Salvaged hollow core door (free) and a pair of scrounged two drawer filing cabinets (free). A fantastically huge work surface.

I'm currently using a small kitchenette 3x5ft rectangular table that was left in the house by the prior owners who had gotten it cheap to 'stage' the house, probably IKEA or something.

In another room I have an antique oak lab/class bench with four horizontal pull-out drawers and two ink wells I bought at a garage sale for ten dollars or so. They had used it in their garage and needed one of the leg posts re-constructed where it had gotten wet and rotted.

Look up youtube videos of 'workbench' or 'desk' builds.

24 track and rangercaster like this.
  9. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

This was made from 1x pine boards, including the top. Less than $100 for the lumber. IMG_2274.jpeg

24 track and MattyK-USA like this.
  10. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

WOW good job looks really good

11. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    I think the word for that solution is “expedient”

It is what I used for over 20 years.

I forgot what is was until I took it apart during a move

12. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

Your time has value as well, so figure than in. You might be able to find one on amazon, craigslist, or monoprice cheap enough and adequate enough that it is not worth going all out to build a desk. Your time might be better spent building something more useful, like a kitchen table, picnic table or a guitar.

24 track and rangercaster like this.
  13. 61fury

61fury Friend of Leo's

That's mine except I have two multi drawer tool chests.

24 track likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.