1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

DIY cab wiring question: don't underestimate how much I don't know....

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Jupiter, Sep 11, 2010.

1. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

Hi,

I've been almost finished with a DIY cabinet for a couple of weeks now.:neutral:

I've never built, or even owned, a separate head and cabinet before, but after buying a Tweaker head, I decided to just build the cab and save money. Maybe you can guess how that part's working out....

Anyway, the box is built and 3/4 finished (a long story), the G12H30's mounted on the baffle, and now it's time to wire it to the jack.

I've found plenty of info about which lead connects to what, and anyway with a single speaker that's pretty simple, but what I haven't totally sorted yet is what exactly to do about the wire from the speaker to the jack. I have some nice PRO CO Power Plus 16-2 cable that I got from AES--like 4 feet of it. What I'm wondering, specifically, is this: should I secure the wire along the side of the box to the jack (like with staples), or run it straight and short across the open space? Is there any point in leaving the wire long enough to remove the baffle without disconnecting the leads? If I do leave some extra and maybe coil it up inside and with twist ties or something, will I have signal degradation issues?

Seems like nobody ever talks about, or bothers to show, stuff like this; maybe it's just too basic. I had a similar question about the brackets for my circular grill last week. I confused a lot of people over on the Peavey forum because none of them could understand what I meant when I said I couldn't understand how the brackets were supposed to be oriented on the face of the baffle.:oops: It took a few photos and MSPaint sketches to clear that one up....

Thanks!

2. dragonfly66

dragonfly66 Friend of Leo's

I didn't build my own cab, I gutted an old 4x10 and put in speakers and a speaker cable jack. Here are my photo. The amp had a hole for a jack in the back so I wired the jack and put it through the hole and put a nut on it to hold in place. The extra wire was secured with a clip on the inside wall of cabinet. I did leave extra cable, but not with the intent of making it easy to remove the speakers without disconnecting the leads.

The photo says, "I think", because it was a photo I used to ask the question if I wired everything right. Everything is right in the photo. The black wires at the top are the wires that go to the input jack. It is wired series/parallel.

Attached Files:

3. Jupiter

Thanks! If I may ask, though, why DID you leave extra cable?

4. celeste

celeste Friend of Leo's

Pretty much just make sure the wiring will not rattle on anything. Also if it is to loose and to heavy, it can swing, and after a while, will break

5. Ronsonic

Ronsonic Tele-Afflicted

The balance is between leaving enough to make assembly and any future work convenient and not having it rattle against anything. Usually not too tough to work out. Use your instincts here.

6. rainedave

rainedave Tele-Holic

If I wanted enough cable to be able to remove the baffle, but also didn't want slack cable flopping around in the cabinet, I would make a loop in the cable - and secure it with a zip-tie - so that the cable ran straight to the jack without any slack. Then, if I wanted to remove the baffle without disconnecting the cable from the speaker terminals, I would snip the zip-tie and Voila! I'd have several extra inches of cable to work with.

7. Jupiter

Done!

Thanks everybody. It's done. It's a little bit on the long side, but this is pretty thick wire, and the two leads are housed together in a sleeve, so it's quite thick and stiff. Right now it's braced against the side of the cab by it's own stiffness, but I have the zip ties and if it rattles I'll loop it. Right now I'm having too much fun breaking in the driver!:D

I'm no judge of tone, and this is my first tube amp, but it sounds GREAT to me. I could just sit here on the floor strumming open chords all day--and maybe I will!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.