DIY 4x8 cab?

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by freatles, Jul 26, 2017.

1. freatles

freatles TDPRI Member

I was listening to amp comparisons, and found that 4x10"s give recorded guitar massive quality - in one recording I thought I could hear the other speakers add this massive 3D-quality to the sound from the one with the mic in front of it.

Help me out with the design? :cool: I think it should be closed back, no idea which speaker-elements.

So, now I have a gas for 4xNN guitar speaker cab.

I often have the weirdest gas... ermm yeah, one of these threads :D I guess I'm just susceptible to toys and marketing. Now I'm fighting the urge to buy russian tube amps (Yerasov, Novik...) and toys with lot of small metal boxes (Boss Katana, Two Fingers...). It's as if I was still 17!

I decided I need to cut this guitar-combo-and-fad-effect-box-GASsing part of me out! ( before it hatches, grows into my brain and turns me into a sorry ass guitar product consumer - as opposed to practicing music as means of expression and art =)

Soo, my logic is to get an inexpensive power amp, that I can use for guitar, bass, lyrics etc. I have a 12" bass cab, a 2x8" too. The 12" bass cab is excellent for guitar, but not for recording. Strangely, I find 4x10" cabs record great (because the 3 other speakers multiply the signal at the 1).

I'm a good enough carpenter. I might be able to pull a cabinet build off, and solder the leads to connectors but my cab designer skills are minimal.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  2. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

I have a 4X6 cab that I use in conjunction with my Vibro Champ and the 4X6 cab sounds great (I have used it by itself) I recommend mixing Alnico magnet speakers with Ceramic because both bring something to the final tone. A 4X8 cab would be cool. Choose your speakers wisely for either open back or closed.

freatles likes this.
  3. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Not sure if you're looking for 4-8 or 4-10 design, but here's a 4-10 design from a company you may have heard of; (4-12 design thrown in as a bonus)

https://www.18watt.com/storage/1960A-Slant-Cab_rev1.pdf

If you don't like or want the slant feature, it would be easy to mod it out of the design.

4. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

5. kaludjerko

kaludjerko Tele-Meister

Sounds like a great idea. Paired with lower efficiency speakers, might be nice option for home use.
    Looking forward to see how it progresses.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.