DIY 3 button foot switch for Crate FXT65 amp

dmendaroosky

NEW MEMBER!
I'm new to this forum and was hoping to find specific info on the Crate 3 button foot switch (Cfs3 May be the model number). I did some forum searching and turned up nothing. The Crate FXT65 amp has the dsp/reverb and multiple channel selection features with the switch. I'm considering building my own. From what I've read about foot switches is they use either the 1/4" TPS or 1/4" mono plug. The Crate 3 button switch needs the TPS jacks.

Does anyone know if the three buttons are momentary?

Any chance someone knows how the foot switch is wired?

Attached is a PDF document showing the pedal, amp back, and cables required and explaines what each switch does.

Thank you,

Attachments

• CFS_OM.pdf
    250.5 KB · Views: 13

bebopbrain

Tele-Holic
The jacks are TRS (tip, ring, sleeve), also known as stereo.

Maybe you can reverse engineer this. Get two TRS plugs and plug them in.
Most likely the switches are momentary, the "ring" terminal (on the outside) is ground, the other two terminals connect to the ring to make something happen.
By using a wire to short the tip and sleeve to the ring, maybe you can control the function of the amp and figure out where to connect the switches.

By the time you buy the enclosure, the switches, the jacks, feet, battery clips, LEDs, etc., not sure it makes sense to DIY.

Looking on Reverb, here is the whole amp with the foot switch and cables for $79 (local pickup).

This looks like the foot switch:

2L man

Tele-Afflicted
Definitely install relays to signal chain channel switching and same time a relay for reverb too although it can operate using only footswitch and cable circuit because it is not in signal chain.

Momentary switches reguire a logig circuit. It should be cheap but I can't give any better info how to implement it.

Latching footswitches are often cheaper than momentary FS and when there flow DC coil current thru cable it does not cause noise. Relays cost few dollars and you can use Veroboard to build circuit board.

Kit which contain relay pair, circuitboard and possible rectifier and electrolyt should be less than 15 and some already have a stereo jack for FS connection. Just a hole for jack is strong enough mounting for two relay circuit board when jack legs are bent before soldering them. Signsl relays are small and light so installation comes neat.

I think filament output can be used for relays DC supply although it is elevated when relay circuit does not need to use the Common ground. Yes there techically is perhaps 70V in FS box and cable but it is secondary voltage and comes flom filament elevate circuit so it is not safety issue but I can't say what the "electric law" says.

Last edited:

dmendaroosky

NEW MEMBER!
Thanks for your ideas. Although I like doing DIY, alot of times the cost is too close to just purchasing and moving on...

Now I got something to think about.
Thanks again,

wildschwein

Friend of Leo's
These guys look like they will make you most things:

1669864035454.png