DIY 2 ohm attenuator

Discussion in 'Burnt Fingers DIY Effects' started by Willatr, Jan 29, 2020.

1. Willatr

Willatr NEW MEMBER!

Hi all
    I want to build a 2 ohm reactive attenuator. Does anyone know of a schematic ?
    i already built the switchbox 8 ohm attenuator and wonder if this can be modified to become 2 ohm ?
    Any thoughts ??

2. drneilmb

drneilmb Tele-Meister

3. Urshurak776

Urshurak776 Tele-Holic

I think most of the DIY designs out there can be modified. Like @drneilmb said, just use the proper power rating on the resistors.

4. johnDH

johnDH Tele-Meister

a few weeks late with reply, but yes it could. Use the values for resistors and inductors for the 8 ohm versions and divide by 4. Resistor power ratings stays the same. Post 1 has all you need to know, but if it looks suitable, skip to page 27 for an update. Post 1 covers the design that most guys have tested (design M), page 27 has an update (design M2) with the same performance, but only one coil, so simpler build.

But here's the watch-it:

Obviously, 2 ohms is not a common spec, but its all ok in theory. But take account of the fact that at 2 ohms, you are dealing with twice the current as an 8 ohm version for a given power.
    eg 50W into a 2 ohm system is 5A current. You need switches and jacks rated for at least twice that, and Id also go with thicker wire like 14ga instead of 18ga for the hook up and also the wire used for winding the air-cored inductor(s).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.