Ditto looper vs Akai headrush

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by MrHamburger, Apr 24, 2015.

1. MrHamburger

MrHamburger Tele-Holic

I got a $10 fleabay coupon so thought I would pick up a looper pedal. I found both these pedals on the bay for the same price.

I have owned the Ditto before and wished i had never parted with it as it is a great tool for practicing leads.

But I am considering the Akai Headrush E2 as it has the loop function in addition to delay effects. I believe the loop time on this unit is limited to 23 sec.

I just use the loop function for basic practice so not sure I need more than 23sec of loop time as I usually am good with just a measure.

Any feedback from somebody that has used both would be great. I need to use my coupon tonight so I look to yall for assisting me in this urgent matter, haha

Also the Akai listed would be new in the box vs a used ditto if that matters. I am curious about the Akai's tape delay simulator as Im a big fan of that sound.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2015
  2. tpaul

tpaul Poster Extraordinaire

Check out the online reviews. As I recall the Akai is a great unit when it works. QC is somewhat lacking if numerous reviewers are to be believed.

3. MrHamburger

MrHamburger Tele-Holic

Price went down on the Akai unit. $52 shipped, NIB, cant beat it, for loop & delay.

4. Lacking Talent

Lacking Talent Tele-Holic

Can't speak to the Ditto but have had a Headrush and think you'd not only find it practical, but fun. Check out vids of what KT Tunstall does with one...

5. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Never used the Ditto, but I used to have the Headrush and it is a really nice pedal.

6. xjazzy

xjazzy Friend of Leo's

Had the Headrush and now have the Ditto.
    Loved the delay on the Headrush but it was short on the looper and mine had a bit of noise.
    That and the Flint are the only pedals I wish I could have kept.

7. Daddy Hojo

Daddy Hojo Friend of Leo's

Love my headrush but for some reason, mine can quit unexpectedly during complicated loops. My hat would suck in a live show....

8. allthatjazz

allthatjazz Tele-Meister

I owned the Akai and now own and use a Ditto x2. My suggestion would be to spring for the Ditto. I found the delay side of the Akai to be 'just okay', and I had problems with the loop side. Just my take, of course.

9. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

If you want a looper for practicing and composing get the Ditto. What good is a delay in such purpose? The Ditto is so simple and easy to use, it's hard to beat. It does what's it supposed to do.

10. MrHamburger

MrHamburger Tele-Holic

I went for the Akai as I was able to pick it up brand new for half the price of the Ditto. It'll be here next week. will report back with review. As I have owned both the Ditto and a vintage DOD delay I should have a good point of reference. Worst case scenario I hate it and put it up for sale on craigslist. Heck I could probably sell it for more than what I paid.

11. Del Pickup

Del Pickup Poster Extraordinaire

I've got the Akai looper and, yes, the loop time is a bit short but, with careful planning, it can be used for live shows. It does occasionally seem to have a glitch and stop halfway through a loop but only very occasionally.

And I think the analog tape delay is pretty good. Sounds way better than the digital delay. It sounds warmer than my old Boss DD2 which is supposedly one of the better digital delays.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.