Ditching the Mustang. Need a 15 watt tube amp. Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Southpaw Tele, Mar 5, 2017.

1. cm3ohana

cm3ohana TDPRI Member

+1 I think it's great to get input from folks here which may narrow down your choices but, in the end, it's your ears that will and should make the final call. Everyone's choice of "the sound" they hear in their heads translates a bit differently depending upon the amp, guitar, pedals, etc. that they use. The suggestions provided by everyone is pretty universal for the 15 wattish segment - AC15, Blues Jr, DRRI, Princeton, Egnator Tweaker - all great amps with a proven history....so this gets you in the ballpark. The fact that you will definitely be using a PA puts you in a category where maybe even a 5 watt amp might work since you'll be using it more as a monitor than filling the house. Of course, "it depends" - how big is the worship team, how loud do they play, etc. We have a similar setup at church and my son likes using a Les Paul through the clean channel of a modified Fender Super Champ XD with a Rajin Cajun speaker. I use a tele or Gretsch through a Vox AC4 that I put into a 12" cab with a Celestion Blue speaker and that does it for me. The congregation hears mostly the PA so didn't have a need for a powerful amp. Another fair point is the amount of clean headroom you'll need. That may be a deciding factor for your ears as well. Good luck. It's fun to shop for gear and with the "go ahead" from your wife, seems like it'll be a lot of fun.

2. Eddie Bray

Eddie Bray Tele-Meister

I recently got a Laney 15R Combo amp to use instead of my Mustang 4 Mk2, I really like it and the <1 watt input is great for playing at home. Reverb is digital but still sounds good. I also bought the 2x 12 Cub Extension Cab and paid less for both than I would have another make alone.

Now, I remember seeing a thread either on here or on Strat-talk about a US Supplier who were selling rebadged Laney 15R Combo amps at a silly price, and if they are still available I would certainly be in the market for one of those.

Okay, found it, it is a Monoprice and at $180 it is little more than a good night out might cost.

https://www.monoprice.com/Product?c...tm_medium=11051853&utm_term=Skimlinks-2617611

Pity it looks like it is out of stock until May, not really a surprise at those prices, and I have just found out that it has a spring reverb rather than the digital one my Laney has. Wow.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
  3. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

I was going to mention these too.

4. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

OK, I gotta get outta this thread before I start spending my Race Shop Limited Domane SLR money.

I want this amp now, thanks! My Red Fang is sitting out of amps right now and it would have a nice home for it in that!!

5. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I've noticed the hype over the Mustang III has died down significantly. A couple of years ago it was like it contained a cure for cancer here on TDPRI. Not that it's not a great amp, but I think people are now finding it does have a few shortcomings.

Durberville likes this.
  6. The Blood

The Blood Tele-Meister

Well, the use of the word "ditching" would suggest significant disappointment, where "upgrading" could have been used as easily. I have a vintage Princeton and recently got a used mustang III at a tempting price. They're different animals with way different price tags, but there are times when I forget which one I'm on at the moment...

Jim Dep likes this.
  7. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, I've noticed the prices on used Mustang IIIs have dropped to under $200 on my local CL. I'm thinking I'll probably end up grabbing one if they continue going down. Kinda like a Peavey Bandit - might as well have one in the stable, just because. My bandmate uses one as his main amp, and it holds up against my more expensive tube amps just fine.

viccortes285 likes this.
  8. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The Princeton recording amps had a bad reputation of having heat issues due to the built in attenuater. You could probably get one cheap as a result and just not use that feature, but it does have a bad rep. right or wrong.

9. BlueCollarBoy

BlueCollarBoy Tele-Meister

I already Had Orange OR15 typed out, then I glaced up and saw this. Yeah I have been drooling over one for a while now.

10. BlueCollarBoy

It's always a matter of preference. but I would NEVER run direct unless it was in emergency backup situation. So much of your tone comes from you guitar speaker.

Milspec and MadJack like this.
  11. guitaradelic

guitaradelic Tele-Meister

Silverface Deluxe Reverb, all you will ever need. Not that expensive, can even be had for less than a reissue with some prudent shopping.

Milspec likes this.
  12. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Tele-Afflicted

I own one of these as well. If you can find one in that price range, its a killer deal. On-board reverb is digital and starts swimming way too early, but other than that, its a great amp.

Think Marshall meets Deluxe Reverb, at 18 watts. Some great sounds in here.

13. JCW308

JCW308 Tele-Meister

Mustang III v2 would be my next suggestion. Seriously

14. sonofiam

sonofiam Tele-Meister

It's definitely a keeper for me, it is capable of a broad range of tones and gain. Over the years my wife has developed an ear for what I like when it comes to tone and the OR15 is one of the amps she's actually been impressed with. The amps in my signature are what she's helped me decide on keeping.

BlueCollarBoy likes this.
  15. BlueCollarBoy

I gig thru an EVH 5150 III 50 watt head mostly, but sometimes 50 watts is just too much. I had a Dual Terror a while back, but it was a one trick pony with no FX loop. I have tried the OR 15, and ilke it much better. I plan on having one soon.

sonofiam likes this.
  16. Opyron

Opyron TDPRI Member

Carvin vintage 16 would be my choice.

viccortes285 likes this.
  17. Loganzr

Loganzr Tele-Meister

viccortes285 likes this.
  18. keeffan

keeffan Tele-Holic

If weight is not an issue consider a used Kustom Coupe 36. Small form factor, master volume, 6l6 tone, line out, spring reverb and made in USA. Can be had used for a song. Bright switch on both channels gets you in blackface, tweed and Marshall camps pretty convincingly.

19. MadJack

MadJack Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Another AC15C1 fanatic here. After the Swart Atomic Space Tone, it's the best sounding amp I've ever played. Of course the AST is three times the price! With the Mod Reverb tank, tubes and speaker to taste the AC15 is marvelous. Even the speaker isn't necessary, as the Greenback is a good speaker. It just wasn't as Vox-y to me, my favorite flavor is the Alnico Blue (or copies there of). I use a Weber Alnico Blue Dog and the GB went into a 2 X 12 (w/ WGS Green Beret) I use with my Marshall 5 watt home build. There's a reason the AC15 is one of the most popular amps in the P&W scene and that's because of it's sweet tones and versatility. I use mine mainly with an ABY switch, so I can go from Normal Channel to the Top Boost Channel to both bridged for what is essentially three channels. They can be finicky about OD, Boost or distortion pedals, but once you find the pedals for you, it's marvelous. Some of the more popular ones are the RAT, Soul-Food, Timmy, RangeMaster type boost, Crowther Hot Cake, OCD, Morning Glory and many more. You wouldn't think that a brightly voiced amp would like a treble boost or a brite OD, but the AC15 does! Something about how they drive these amps past overly bright/glassy or ice-picky into sweat creamy driven tones.

If you have to go cheap, the Monoprice 15 Watt Tube Amp is a great deal. It is a Laney CUB12R, but with a different wardrobe and a real spring reverb. The Speaker is a Celestion Seventy 80, which once broken in is alright. The Accutron Blue (plastic) reverb leaves A LOT to be desired! the newer metal reverb tank is supposed to be a little better, but the MOD tank (same as the AC15's) is marvelous in this amp. If you (or someone you know) can solder, the tank mod is very easy and worthwhile. It does have an effects loop, the reverb is foot-switchable (not included) and there's a 8Ω/16Ω external speaker jack, if you want to use it as a head. It is much lighter and smaller than the AC15, but, to me, the AC15 has better tones (Not that the MP15 is bad!). Many swap the speaker (simple job, mainly turning screws). I am using a WGS Reaper 30 (Celestion G12H-30 Anniversary copy) and others favor the Vintage 30 (or copies there of).

If you read the MonoPrice 15 thread, you'll find for the very slightly dirty to moderate gain, they like the MP 15 over the BJ III, but the BJ III has the better cleans. As for taking pedals, it seems to be a toss up. I do like the BJ III Tweed w/ the Jensen. I don't really care for either the standard amp or Jensen RIs separately, but together they seem to play nicely, but I haven't cranked one yet, only played it clean.

Do get out and play these amps, preferably with you own guitar. Maybe a local shop has a Laney CUB12R or someone local to you has a MonoPrice 15 they'll let you try.

Find what you like and go for that. All anyone here can do is give you their opinions. You know what they say about opinions, they are like.....

20. Southpaw Tele

Southpaw Tele Friend of Leo's

I should mention I predominately play a partscaster Jazzmaster with '65 AVRI pickups.

viccortes285 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.