1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Ditched the Boss board and went multi-fx...Boss ME-50

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by naveed211, Feb 25, 2021.

1. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

33ABA048-255C-448F-8EE8-724AD9718DFE.jpeg
    In a recent thread I was considering going with an all-Boss board. Got three pedals into it and then found a good deal on an ME-50 at Chicago Music Exchange so I snatched it up.

Ive had one of these before and I remember why it’s my favorite multi effect. So simple to use and sounds good. I can get it to sound exactly like the pedals I was using, though the settings aren’t exactly the same.

Usually like to keep things simple so I’ll be parked on a Blues Driver, reverb, and light delay and compression setting probably for 75% of the time I play, but good to have options when my inspiration leads me in another direction without having to fork over a couple hundred more bucks for individual pedals.

Feeling really good about my simple little rig.

2. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Love the ME-50. Had a couple of them. It could use some tweaks (switchable reverb, replace the atrocious 'spring' setting with something better), but all in all a solid pedal.

naveed211 likes this.
  3. naveed211

Yup, back when I had it before years ago I was in a pretty bare bones rock band, liked a bit of reverb for cleans but not when I switched to amp overdrive, so that was a frustrating compromise.

But these days I play with reverb always on, and I’m using the on board drives so I’m using patches instead of just single settings.

4. fjblair

fjblair Tele-Holic

Well done OP. I really, really like my ME-80.

That Cal Webway and naveed211 like this.
  5. marshman

marshman Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I have the bass version. When I played in a funk band, I needed some of the patches and found it to be a great unit, but now I'm playing classic rock and I don't really need it.

I used it as a practice tool for years. I bought a second one with a busted treadle, and plugged my bass and my computer in and headphones out and I could listen/play at the desk in my mancave for hours. I don't NEED another one since that one finally died, but I would definitely consider buying another if the price was right.

Enjoy it, tone joy is rarely so easy.

naveed211 likes this.
  6. Seasicksailor

Seasicksailor Friend of Leo's

I can only imagine how good the ME-50 is, considering I was very happy for years with my ME-20 (which is still around here somewhere).

joe_cpwe likes this.
  7. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I was almost always in patch mode. For me back then, the audio dropout between patches was annoying and why I chased other things eventually. Not a big deal nowadays.

naveed211 likes this.
  8. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Tele-Meister

I had that pedal for awhile. Good utility pedal. The me 70 is a step up in every way. Adds the preamp section where you can add gain to even the clean channels. Much more versatile, but the ME 50 is still good for some additional effects, for sure.

It's because of pedals like this, that I have no desire for individual pedals.

joe_cpwe likes this.
  9. naveed211

You know, I tried the newer stuff and didn’t think it was any better than the 50 (the 25 is actually more complicated, and I think the 50 sounds as good as the 70 and 80), and compared to the GTs I’ve had in the past, the 50 is such a relief from menu scrolling and deep editing.

It’s the perfect Goldilocks zone multi-effect for my purposes.

Seasicksailor likes this.
  10. naveed211

I hear you there. For me I don’t love the modeling Boss does for preamps personally, at least not more than just adding a BD-2, so I didn’t really care to have that in subsequent models after the 50. The 50 is my sweet spot for features, ease of use, and sound.

Jakedog and nickmsmith like this.
  11. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

I have the 80. I use it as a headphone amp at home. It’s decent for that. Keeps me from getting totally bored since there are no gigs.

I only use it in manual mode. I turn on the “crunch” model set to a low gain edge of breakup sound and then use the rest of it as a standard pedal board.

It’s plenty adequate for that application. Gives me a lot of stuff to play with. More than I’d ever need. Saves many hundreds of dollars in pedals it wouldn’t be worth it to buy to just dink around with at home. Likewise I think these units are an excellent way for people just getting their feet wet to be able to try a LOT of different types of effects and find out what they like and will use without dropping obscene amounts of money on pedal experimentation.

I took it to rehearsal a few weeks ago and tried it in front of my amps. I thought it was “ok”. I think the mods and delays sound great! I like my stand alone comp and boost pedals better, and I like my SD1 better for overdrive. I couldn’t get the ME80 to cut through and punch like my pedals in a band mix. It didn’t suck, and would totally get me through a gig in a pinch. But it wasn’t as good.

Major pluses are the built in volume and wah. It’s a damned decent volume pedal, and the wah is fantastic.

12. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Afflicted

I used a ME-20 for a period of time at church. I didn't like the dirt at all, but used it for the tuner & volume pedal, then had patches with compressor, modulation and reverb or delay.

I still use it for at home, headphone practice mostly. I keep it loaded with the AA batteries so it's a good sounding, portable station.

The ME-50 and ME-80 I got my hands on were better, especially the dirt sounds. I'd grab a 50, 70, 80 at the right price for sure.

pedal board 1.jpg

JuneauMike and Seasicksailor like this.
  13. naveed211

I just did some more experimenting, and have it setup as like a two channel right now in pedal mode. Analog delay, compression (low comp, higher volume for a bit of boost) and reverb (mod) always on. Really shimmery clean sound that will grind a bit if you hit it hard.

And I have the drive setup as a Rat. And I’ve had a Rat before and liked it okay. I think the model does a pretty good emulation, but the secret is bringing in a bit of the Bottom control. Makes it sound like a roaring Marshall...even more than the Guvnor setting, actually.

Jakedog likes this.
  14. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

ME-70 owner here. Use it mainly in manual mode as a multi-pedal stomp box

Jakedog, naveed211 and nickmsmith like this.
  15. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

Yep. I bought the ME-20 as sort of a "sample platter" to see what kind of pedals I'd end up using the most. Eventually I bought pretty much one (or three) of every effect that it offered as a standalone pedal. Even the volume pedal was handy enough to buy one of my own.

Jakedog likes this.
  16. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Friend of Leo's

It’s fun to explore the multi-world :)

17. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Been there and back to guitar plugged straight into and amp and then a stupidly massive individual pedal board and back to multi-effects again. The ME series is great and doesn’t get enough love. I had a GT-3 that I loved at one time too. I think the earlier Boss stuff sounded way better than the early line 6 stuff. Right now it’s an HX Effects and a Tech 21 Flyrig - simple and extremely powerful combo.

18. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Afflicted

Oh, wait until you have tried the newer GT series into an FRFR cab!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.