Distortion pedal with powerful intuitive EQ?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by waparker4, Apr 19, 2016.

1. tremolo3

tremolo3 Tele-Meister

Another vote for Talons.
    Underrated dirt pedal, you can get it for around $100 in used condition.

2. gwjensen

gwjensen Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

That worked for me, but this works better, IMO.

humbucker_2273_224746330_large.jpeg

3. Fred Rogers

Fred Rogers Tele-Afflicted

Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret has a great 3 band EQ and it sounds awesome with Fender amps.

4. 782369

782369 Tele-Meister

Check out Hardwire SC-2.

5. hwestman

hwestman Tele-Holic

Radial Tonebone Classic distortion/Trimode has INSANE eq!

There are several ways to control treble, mids and bass. Treble can be controlled at the input, there is a high treble control to take out unwanted fizz (it works with a JBL equipped Twin Reverb which says a lot) and there is a treble control which gives definition without being overly sharp. The two band bass/treble eq lets you set the bass-mid-treble balance and there are two additional mid boost functions.

6. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I love the distortion and EQ on my Radial Tonebone Trimode. It's also tube-driven, has three distortion 'ranges' (overdrive-typical distortion-melt your face), and you can switch between rhythm and lead tones with a stomp. Expensive, but I've had mine forever and it'll probably stay that way, so for me it was worth it.

7. SweetClyde99

SweetClyde99 Tele-Holic

My vote would be something from Blackstar's HT line--probably the Dist or Dual based on your description. I'm also enjoying my Monte Allums modded Boss Metal Zone. The mod actually turned it into a very usable, flexible distortion pedal.

8. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Haven't tried one but that new DOD Looking Glass looks well thought out. Treble roll off and active bass pre-clipping, then active treble after clipping stage. Use pre-EQ's to shape pu/tone hitting clipping circuit, post treble to control bite and relationship to od.

I'll also throw in with how superb the EQ is on AYA Drivesta.

I'm still amazed by EQ and buffers in these boxes 20 years later. Start with them rolled left and think of it like a fender amp and you'll find a usable sound or a few.

[​IMG]

9. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'm looking at the bogner uberschall right now.. Doesn't seem as high gain as the ad copy would have you believe which is good. I want pure saturated tone and clarity with EQ flexibility and ability to drop out of mix or ascend above the mix with some compression but retaining clarity and having plenty of sustain. Faith No More is about my max level of gain I'm looking for

10. filmix2

filmix2 Tele-Holic

11. waparker4

Thanks for the input. Interesting thread. I like that MXR and I also like the Il Torino..

Uberschall may venture too far for me..

12. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

The Talons sure sounds good in the YT demos. I did some reading on FSB. Looks like it might have some Guv'nor in it's DNA. BTW, I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the old black-box Marshall pedals; Guv'nor, DriveMaster, ShredMaster, etc.

13. waparker4

I got an MXR Super Badass Distortion and so far I like it alot but still honeymooning. Running the distortion around noon, it saturates nicely.. trimming back both the bass and treble. Even cleans up pretty well.

14. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

Congrats!

15. waparker4

And I bought a tube screamer mini off ruger9, hopefully that will be a good kick in the pants for this pedal, or my Xotic SL drive to make a great teeny tiny dirt combo.

16. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

Congrats on the new pedals. Now that I've spent some time with my Barber Small Fry, I figured I'd add it to the list. With it's three EQ trimpots and Zendrive style variable HP filter, there's plenty to tweak on the EQ front. What I'm most impressed with is the variety of tones I can get just using the topside controls; volume, gain, tone, and dynamics. I'm alternating between three guitars and two amps so EQ is pretty much set in the default positions with the HP parked where it sounds good to me. Anyone interested should pull up the manual and check out the sample settings to get some idea. I'm mostly using it as a medium OD but there's plenty of gain for heavier stuff.

Apparently, players liked the SF as a Dumble sim when it first came out. Pretty cool but that's not all it can do. A lot of pedals are great for one drive or distortion sound but if someone is looking for versatility, the SF could be a contender.

BTW, +1 on the SL Drive. Fresh Cream in a can!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.