distortion pedal recommemdations?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by mlove3, Feb 20, 2009.

1. loopy reed

loopy reed Friend of Leo's

MXR Distortion +.

The older ones aren't true bypass, but they sound the best. The newer reissues are pretty good. You could expect to spend up to 70 on a newer used one. Brand new ones aren't much more expensive. Vintage Dist +'s could get up to 100, but I just got another one for about thirty bucks.

It's a good pedal, sounds like what you're looking for.

2. SackvilleDan

SackvilleDan Tele-Holic

+1 for the Jackhammer. I love mine, I use it for AC/DC to Pantera. The OD mode is still quite high gain, the DIST mode is a lot smoother (think Steve Vai type leads)... I use OD mode all the time. And they're pretty cheap!

3. Pinball_Wizard

Pinball_Wizard Tele-Holic

I'd say the boss DS-1, or the cool cat distortion for different reasons

if you'd get the boss I'd say do the mij mod; it's simple, it'll sound fantastic. If you just want to get great distortion and not open the inside, get the Cool Cat.

DS-1 has always had great buffer bypass, cool cat is true byass. pretty much same price.

4. Rena Rune

Rena Rune Banned

Get a RAT. Turbo Rat preferably.

5. thwdude

thwdude TDPRI Member

Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi (NYC made ones). The new ones are true bypass.

6. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Another vote for the Boss DS-1. No true bypass, but it's never been a problem for me. My wah and Whammy are much worse in that regard.

P.S. check out the Keeley DS-1. I sent my stock DS-1 in to get modded. I used to like it, now I'm crazy about it.

7. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

I have a DF-2 super distortion/feedbacker pedal(don't use the feedbacker function). It's a great all around distortion pedal, but I don't think they make it anymore. I've heard the distortion circuit is basically the same as the DS-1. Of course, mine is MIJ, and I don't know the differences between that and the current version(wherever they're made), but the DS-1 has been used by so many for so long that it is the sound of rock music, IMO. If I were looking for a do it all pedal for rock, I'd start with the DS-1. I imagine just about any store that sells Boss would have it available to try out.

8. Guns1rose

Guns1rose Tele-Meister

please do yourself a favor and dont buy boss pedals. If you can fork out the $$, buy either the satchurator, or the Fulltone OCD. I have both, and They both kick major as*! Especially the Ocd. It's the best Overdrive/Distortion pedal ive ever heard!!!

9. Tibbonds

Tibbonds Tele-Meister

I'm sorry, but that's a pretty daft comment. I'm not saying Boss are the best in the world, but on the whole they're good pedals - sturdy, easy to come by second hand (IE cheap deals), and about 80% of them sound great right out of the box.

Professionals all over the world have been using them with great results for decades - it's only this last 10 years or so that people have been able to get hold of 'boutique' pedals, many of which are clones of Boss pedals themselves.

10. mlove3

mlove3 Tele-Afflicted

thanks for the suggestions, I'll check em out

11. Verne Bunsen

Verne Bunsen Tele-Afflicted

For nice overdriven crunchyness, check out the Boss SD-1. Cheap and sounds great. Sounds great-er if you remove the cap at C6. For bigger gain I've had good luck with the Metal Muff, although it took some serious tweaking to find the "sweet spot" in the settings.

If you find the one you like and it's not true-bypass, don't let that dissuade you. If true-bypass is a must for your rig, you can make any pedal true-bypass with one of these switches from Keeley:

http://www.robertkeeley.com/product.php?id=23

Good luck on this one man, I've been trying to find the distortion pedal that gives me the "sound I'm looking for" for 10 years. One day I'll break down and realize I'm actually looking for the right amp...

12. badmelonfarmer

badmelonfarmer Tele-Meister

+1 on the Keeley Mod DS-1. it gives a great crunchy tone.

I was never really keen on the stock DS-1, but the keeley mod version is just great.

I love the Big Muff with Tonewicker, but I would not say it is as flexible as others, but if you love that muff sound ... only a real muff will do.

Cheers

BMF

13. yanick

yanick TDPRI Member

14. Guns1rose

Guns1rose Tele-Meister

Sorry Dude, Didnt mean to sound to harsh:(! I should have been more specific. I will say i hate all of the boss overdrive/distortion, but the effects are great for the money. Thats just my opinion.

15. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

BBE Green Screamer

There are many good demos on youtube.

16. JJFlash

JJFlash TDPRI Member

I would recommend the Fulltone OCD. I just picked one up last week and all I can say is, I wish I had done that a long time ago. Best pedal I have ever used, hands down. I love it.

17. TeleJelly

TeleJelly Tele-Meister

+1 on Fulltone OCD

and if on super tight budget...

+1 on DS1 nice mid gain tone and for over the top run a boost in front of it

18. InknI

InknI TDPRI Member

another vote for the OCD. You can get them new for around $140, which is cheap for being boutique.

19. Pinball_Wizard

Pinball_Wizard Tele-Holic

In the case of the fulltone OCD, apparently the Cool Cat Drive is a clone of it.
    The Cool Cat Fuzz is a clone of the frantone peach fuzz
    The distortion is along the lines of a DS-1/Guv'nor, but I haven't heard anything of it being a clone persay.

The thing is if you're looking into the OCD. the Cool Cat drive is TB and easy on the wallet.

20. Astro1176

Astro1176 Tele-Holic

I have a reasonable collection of distortions and overdrives which I use with humbucking guitars, including a modified TS-9 tubscreamer, Metalzone, Sansamp GT-1 and a US Big Muff. Wanting something like that AC-DC rock tone out of my Baja through a clean amp, none of these pedals came remotely close for me. I ended up getting a Rat Deucetone (kinda a vinatge rat, dirty rat and turbo rat rolled into 1); this pedal does it for me.

However, since the original poster already tried a Rat, I guess it's not going to help.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.