1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Distortion/Fuzz mess wanted

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by 52BIGSBY, Nov 14, 2020.

1. 52BIGSBY

52BIGSBY Tele-Meister

Hello All from the UK.
    Current main set up: Gordon Smith set on single coils - RYRA Klone - Boss TU3 - Boss DD20 Giga delay - '64 AC30.
    This gives lovely cleans, and great impersonation of pushed amp on lower volumes, and also pushed amp and MORE pushed amp on higher volumes. I have a very tolerant neighbour and can enjoy the vibration of tone at these levels.
    I have decided that I need to put a pedal first in line to provide a complete meltdown tone that cannot be reached with what I have. So far I have tried a RAT, a Germanium Fuzz Face clone, and a cranked BD2. Oddly the RAT looses some top end which I want (but not in a shrill way), the FF loose umph and has no attack, and the BD2 is too controlled. More demanding I know, but it would be good to find a pedal that gives the distorted/fuzzed note at its outset, but then, as the note sustains, collapses into sonic (but tuneful) chaos.
    Research has led only to the Catalinbread Karma Suture, or the JHS cheese thing.
    I hope that I have explained this properly, and look forward to any suggestions.
    Thank you,
    Richard.

DeepDangler likes this.
  2. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

If the Fuzz Face isn't getting it done, look into Tonebender variants. I loved my Retro Channel The Fuzz...

3. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Holic

Have you tried EHX Hot Tubes? If you crank it to about 4 o'clock (it starts getting fuzzy around 1 o'clock) on the distortion knob. It has the punch you are looking for, as well as the sustain characteristics you seem to be describing. Anything before 1 O'clock is more like a '70's Lynyrd Skynyrd overdrive tone.

There is also the double overdrive version with the EHX Crayon on the other side. set one side to fuzz and the other to a boost-ish overdrive.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2020
  4. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I assume you've worked with that FIlter knob? The Rat is very touchy, a tiny adjustment can make a big difference

5. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

Stack your pedals. Sometimes two pedals at half gain give better results than one pedal at full gain.

SbS likes this.
  6. 52BIGSBY

52BIGSBY Tele-Meister

Thanks all, tending towards a Tonebender style as it seems to "do something" to the note trail.
    The Rat is stacked into the RYRA. and it is very good like so, filling out a bit with less shrill treble, however at high gain levels I feel that the compression entails the loss of top and bottom end. I know that this is guitar and amp relative. Thanks for the useful suggestions so far and for any more.
    Richard.

7. W.L.Weller

W.L.Weller Tele-Holic

The switchable feedback loop sort of does what you're looking for.

You also might consider a fuzz with a built-in voltage starve feature, those can get pretty spitty and broken-sounding. But usually when you set them like that, you don't get the initial note clarity you're looking for.

8. SbS

SbS Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Pigtronix Disnortion Micro (OD/Fuzz) is capable of going from gentle push to thicker but controlled Santana tones or into a full mayhem.

Lots of options, Fuzz and OD circuit can be driven in series or parallel, you get gain, tone and vol controls plus 6 dfferent fuzz shapes / EQ presets too. Very versatile.

9. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

Fuzz Face will play better in just about every way if the amp is cooking already. Alternatively, stack it with a low gain pedal after it. My personal favorite for that purpose is a Timmy.

10. Wildeman

Wildeman Tele-Meister

My current faves are a Fuzzrite clone and a Lovepedal MK lll (Tonebender 1.5), excellent tone mutilation devices. I think a Fuzzrite might be for you, think Ron Asheton/Stooges tone.

drmordo likes this.
  11. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

A Foxx Tone Machine might be a good call. The octave switch gives you another place to go on top of a good basic fuzz sound. I also like the Jordan Boss Tone and Colorsound Overdriver for different things.

drmordo likes this.
  12. bftfender

bftfender Poster Extraordinaire

Karma Suture plays well with amps gain & with other pedals. Consider it a mellow type fuzz but with very controllable parameters, Sometimes in my el84 amps its that & Belle Epoch together for a bunch of tones. Karma also gets used at edge of breakup but not fr fuzz but just as a nudge effect.

13. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Reading comprehension tells me your need for high end preservation is a specific goal that I also have.

Try a civil war era russian muff, but crank the gain/ sustain knob to keep the treble up and bass down.
    Mids is technically upper frequencies but in guitar speak it applies to a lower frequency range, while the upper version of mids is the stuff that cuts without sounding like a hive of bees in a steel trash can.
    Running the gain/sustain knob turned down as if it was just another OD/ distortion pedal boosts bass and scoops mids.
    Better still get a SUF Civil Uprising, the masterfully designed mids knob is better than any of the mids switches I've tried.

For Tone Benders I find the Prescription Electronics Yardbox rules due to the unique tone control that at one end cuts bass and boosts treble, so you can really control that eq balance.

When yo hit an amps input hard, sending too much bass just mashes the signal too much to retain articulation.
    If you like that though, try the XVex Fuzzolo!

cousinpaul likes this.
  14. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Holic

The Fuzz Face is high gain and so has a more distortion-like quality than many other fuzzes.

If you want a more nasty fuzz sound than a Fuzz Face, I suggest an octave fuzz. The Ampeg Scrambler and Foxx Tone Machine are my go-to octave fuzzes.

You might also try a more 60s style fuzz like a Fuzzrite or FZ-1/FZ-1A.

15. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

The Japanese muffs like the Ibanez OD 850 or Maxon D&S use a different kind of tone control for a less scooped sound.

telemnemonics likes this.
  16. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Yeah I have a Maxon D&S which sounds a lot like a Russian Muff, which is also less scooped than some Muffs.
    From the Civil war era Muff circuit I hear more rasp/ buzz/ grind/ fizz/ fuzz though, rather than a smoother sound.
    So that can sound more fuzzy to me.
    Gotta buy & try!

17. DeepDangler

DeepDangler Tele-Meister

You need a Boss DF2 Super Feedbacker & Distortion. It's discontinued but you can find used examples on Ebay from 100-150 dollars USD.

18. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Afflicted

Been eyeing this superfuzz clone for balls out. Behringer makes a clone of the clone (sf300, for like 30 bucks). Has separate bass and treble, and scooped/non-scooped settings. Wish I had known about the superfuzz branch of fuzzes before wasting all that time stacking stuff for extreme tones/semi-octave-up. I have used the non tone stack variants, and while they are less articulate than an FF for leads, they are generally more articulate than a muff. However with a little bass cut beforehand, they become a distortion pedal and can get you into 80s thrash territory.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
    Doomguy likes this.
  19. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Afflicted

Look at the Lovepedal 200lbs of tone. It's like a fuzz mixed with overdrive/distortion.

20. 52BIGSBY

52BIGSBY Tele-Meister

Thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up deciding on the mk2 bender route, and weirdly almost immediately came up with a used Retro Channel fuzz.
    This works really well, and has a good tight tone with the RYRA after it.
    Result.

DeepDangler and ruger9 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.