Dissonant resonance

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by benjamintele, Jan 28, 2020.

1. benjamintele

benjamintele TDPRI Member

Hi all, first post, long time tele player.
    I normally find my way through these problems but I'm stumped on this one.

I've got a 2006 USA G&L ASAT Classic, but I'm getting a weird resonant metallic sounding resonance going on with certain notes. The MFD pickups seem to amplify it further when its plugged in, which then sounds like a distorted speaker rather than a clean note. I have a tribute version of the same model which doesn't have this issue...

So far I've tried:-
    Changing strings,
    Ensure all screws are type incl the tuners.
    Removed the bridge plate and removed the bridge pickup to verify it wasn't the pick up.
    Removed control plate.
    Removed scratch plate.

Acoustically, it definitely sounds like its coming from the bridge plate area, a resonance that actually decays slower than the actual plucked note. Worse still, this resonance is flatter than the note in question so it sounds not pretty.

Any ideas anyone?

The neck on this thing is lovely, and I feel it has the potential to a great guitar, which it should be with the price tag, but I feel like I'm going mad trying to hunt down this issue!

Cheers!

2. richbike

richbike TDPRI Member

On all, some or just one string?

3. benjamintele

Any string if it's around a G, Ab, or A note.

4. Carcinogen

Carcinogen TDPRI Member

Could it be the dreaded 14th fret hump causing the strings to vibrate against the upper frets? I had a Dano that would always buzz on the 2nd/3rd fret on the b string, just needed a truss rod adjustment.

Modman68 likes this.
  5. eallen

eallen Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Sounds like fret buzz. Check your neck relief. It should have about a business card under the 9th fret when a string is fretted at 1 and 21. if good. Raise the saddle on the offending string 1/2 turn at a time until it stops. You may have some high frets that need to be lowered if you have to raise it too high.

Eric

Carcinogen likes this.
  6. darkwaters

darkwaters Tele-Afflicted

Might also be your truss rod vibrating. Make sure it's not loose.

7. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

I recently went through a similar thing with my strat. I like my pickups on the low side and one was a little loose in the pickguard. It was an easy fix; just use a longer spring or piece of surgical tubing on the height adjustment screws to tighten it up. To check, just use the screws to raise your pickups and see if the vibration goes away.

8. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Hard to answer without the guitar.
    Maybe a loose spring on the bridge.
    Could be loose truss rod too but you say t comes from the bridge.

Wally likes this.
  9. benjamintele

Thanks for the suggestions so far everyone! Some good ideas to try. Will have another go at it tonight!

boris bubbanov likes this.
  10. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I thought this was a poll for a new band name..

Si G X and telemnemonics like this.
  11. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dissonant resonance and the buzzwords

Jlwctn likes this.
  12. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

I had the same problem with the same year ASAT. If it has the same six saddle bridge with two height adjustment screws for each saddle, it's the same. Mine was rattling,vibrating etc. due to one or more of the height screws working slightly loose. Try messing/tightening them. If you get it to stop, maybe apply some loctite or a dab of silicone adhesive to the threads.
    I got frustrated with the guitar and it's been sleeping in the case for years.

13. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Tele-Afflicted

I always use clear nail polish to seal saddle screws. Not gunky and easy to break loose when you want to.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  14. benjamintele

Thanks for all the replies. And yeah I may save 'Dissonant Resonance' for a future Slayer cover band ;)

So back to the guitar, completely stripped it last night, the only thing to mention was springs under the neck pickup which I've replaced with rubber tubing. Re-assembled, and it's still making a noise from somewhere!!

It has a 6 saddle bridge and I've noticed the strings are offset and touch the spring barrels as they go over the saddle. I wonder if this is the problem?
    I'm going to replace it with a 3 saddle bridge and see if that resolves the issue!

15. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Afflicted

One lose height screw on a six saddle bridge is the problem I encoutered the most.
    Next is a pickup height screw.

Before replacing it, try to locate the problem. Check every screwn, touch the different parts while playing, and for what you said: insert a piece of cardboard between the string and the spring...

But you said it was amplified by amp, so I would look more closely at the parts that actually produce the sound: strings, pickup, bridge saddles. I had one guitar that was buzzing (sitar like) and all it needed was a good polishing of the saddles (where the strings lay).

Does it come similarly from the two pickups?

16. benjamintele

I tried the paper between the saddles but no joy unfortunately, so I went ahead and replaced the bridge with a three saddle version.

The guitar definitely sounds better for it, especially sustain but the problem is still there, if not more-so.

At this point I’m thinking truss rod. Anyone have experience of a rattling truss rod?

17. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Afflicted

I encountered another buzz that bothered me for a while until I discovered that it was the clip-on tuner on the headstock... Don’t loose hope. ;)

It seems you did a good job troubleshooting. And you replaced the bridge which was the main suspect. Let’s see this again.

The important part of your description is that the sound is both acoustic, and amplified by the pickup. Three possibilities:

-it comes from the strings (bridge, nut or fret buzz). You said it the resonnance is produced by any G, Ab, or A, I guess this eliminates nut and frets problems. Are you sure it is not a sympathetic vibration (you play one note and another string starts vibrating on a different pitch), it would disappear if you mute the other strings.

-it comes from the pickup, a loose part in the pickup, or another metallic part very close to the pickup that is vibrating. You said you tested that, but did you test both pickup? Does the unwanted sound comes through both pickups?

-it comes from anywhere, but the vibration is strong enough to be transmitted through the pickup in a microphonic way. It leaves the trussrod sure, it’s the worst case scenario, or things you didn’t think about: electronic parts ( big tone cap on long legs rattling, control pots, a wire...), lose strap button...

Trussrod? Have you checked the trussrod adjustment screw and tweaked it, and does it work properly?

18. benjamintele

Thanks for your reply, I’ve had a good few hours on it today but still unable to find the issue.

Regarding the strings, I had some pyramid round core strings on the guitar so I changed them today to some normal Ernie Ball strings just in case but same issue.

I removed both pickups and the control plate and tightened anything that had a screw!

Lastly, I raised the action on all the strings so they clear all subsequent frets when fretted and I noticed if I pluck the string with my thumb so it makes a more muted thumping sound, the rattle is more prominent. I’m really leaning towards the truss rod at this point mainly because there isn’t anywhere else to look. I did give the truss rod a few turns to see if it helped but unfortunately it was the same issue.

I think at this point it will have to go to a luthier for further investigation.

Ironic that my cheaper G&L Tribute ASAT plays perfectly!

19. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Afflicted

A single turns to the trussrod should have a huge effect on the action/neck relief. Maybe your trussrod is broken? I heard about non broken trussrod making a sound too...

20. benjamintele

Yeah it definitely had an effect on the neck so I’ve turned it back now. But yeah this problem really has me stumped. I mean this should be a great guitar but it’s difficult to hear past the noise. I’ll book it in with a luthier and update here when I know more. Thanks for your help so far!

LowCaster likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.