Dispiriting experience taking my Squier to a local guitar tech

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by NeilMcG, Sep 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. teleforumnoob

teleforumnoob Friend of Leo's

Sounds like he wants to sell expensive guitars worse than work on guitars.
    Its up to you to decide the worth of the instrument to you, and likewise the value of any work done to it.
    If he thinks himself too good to work on a Squier, I darn sure would not bring my Custom Shop to that idiot.
    Find someone who will do the work you ask for a fair price without degrading you choice of instrument. Those people do exist. They may be harder to find because they don't need to advertise, but they are out there. And usually they have nothing to do with a store.

2. coughzilla

coughzilla TDPRI Member

Sometimes it's best to learn some minor fixes to your guitars rather than spend a ton of money on a tech that does a mediocre job. I've had my fender ultimate chorus fixed 2 or 3 times in it's lifespan, and every time I get it back it lasts a week and then stops working. Weird right? Each time is 80 bucks or so, so I could have just bought another amp instead. Well, after dealing with this problem off and on for 3 years or so, I did just that, and bought a Fender 212r, which is pretty much the same thing as what I had before.

I also went through a few pawn shop amps in between getting this new amp and was always kind of bummed that my ultimate chorus was unreliable.

Long story short, I took it apart last tuesday and found that the filter cap had a bad solder joint on the board. I desoldered/soldered the joint, put it all back together the same way I took it apart, and it's working like a charm now.

I could have spent the money on a tech that was unreliable, but saved myself 80 bucks and I know how to fix it if it ever happens again. However, you have to do your research and be safe about what you're doing. When it's a major issue i'm not comfortable with i'll take it took a tech, but only as a last resort.

If you got a dirty pot, open it up, spray in some tuner control and wiggle those knobs. Want new pickups in your guitar, start small w/ just 1 pickup, vol. knob, and jack. 5-way selector switch doesn't work in certain settings, see if a wire is loose inside or a bad solder.

There are a lot of things you can save money on if you just take the plunge. If I spent my money on all these little things, I'd be broke as a joke.

The ladies also like it when you can fix their ipods, cellphones, dishwashers, etc...

mystichands likes this.
  3. rockymtnguitar

rockymtnguitar Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

So I've run into this negativity about Squiers as well. I'm new to guitars, so I don't know a lot of history, etc. Where does this perception come from?

When I got my CV, I showed it to my guitar teacher, he was fairly diplomatic about it, but just didn't take it very seriously. A guitar buddy of mine was openly dismissive ("it's only a Squier" kind of attitude, followed with "here, look at my real Fender strat"). The local guitar tech that did the set up on my CV was also mostly dismissive. No one was insulting, they just didn't see it as a serious instrument.

I know that'll raise hackles in here, and honestly, I'm not trying to. I believe any instrument that makes you want to play is "real" enough. My main question is this: did Squier have a poor quality reputation in the past? Or did they truly put out lousy instruments at some point? Or is this just the perception that "you get what you pay for"?

FWIW, I love my CV and it's my go-to guitar for my lessons, practices, the tiny bit of recording I mess with, etc. Just curious.

4. Gautfrid

Gautfrid Banned

Some people can't get past the name on the headstock. Label snobbery.

I currently own a MIA Tele, a MIC Fender acoustic, a MII Squier Strat, a MIC Squier Jagmaster and a MIC Ibanez AS73. They all do what they're supposed to do - make music.

If I had to pick a favourite it would be the Ibby, with the Jagmaster a close second. Go figure.

5. Pointmonger

Pointmonger Tele-Afflicted

Every instrument has an intrinsic value specific to its owner, and any tech that makes a judgement on that value based on his experiences is not worth handing money over to. If he didn't respect your guitar, he didn't respect you and I wouldn't trust him not to steal your money.

He should have done everything he could to make the thing play the best it possibly could and been honest about what it would set you back so you could make an informed decision. Instead, he decided to insult you.

6. moonman2

moonman2 Tele-Meister

BS!

That tech is talking out of his A hole.

To be fair, ALL wood moves (even so called "superior" types).

"Seasoned my a**"

7. guitar2005

guitar2005 Tele-Holic

If the neck was going to be twisted, depending on how old the guitar is, you'd see signs of the twisting starting to happen. There's not a lot of ways to predict it but things like the cut of wood can give you some ideas.

I think every guitar is worth fixing is you like it, even if the economics don't necessarily make sense... but when you think about it, even an expensive guitar needs tweaks and work done to have it stay 100% playable condition.

Regardless of the guitar's price, make, brand, price, unless it was built exactly for you to your specs, when buying a guitar, the first thing you need to do is have it setup to the way you like it. Also, even the best new guitars can need some fret work as everything settles in.

In saying that, I did come accross a 50's re-issue that was so twisted, the neck could not be reasonably salvaged. It does happen but IMO, should be covered under warranty.

8. GigsbyBoyUK

GigsbyBoyUK Friend of Leo's

Yes that's the chap. He is usually in his shop Saturday mornings so no need to take a day off.

9. howlin

howlin Tele-Afflicted

Label & Vintage Snobs

What's really amusing to me when I read these types of threads is how some people are willing to put what I consider a false value on a label or the idea that something is vintage. Having been there when most of these vintage instruments were new I can't see how being 40-years older has made them any better.

I run into so many young guys that think that spending 5 - 6000 bucks on a guitar is just the way it is. It must be nice to have that kind of money but I'd rather spend far less on an instrument built by Bob Logan or Rob DiStefano or the guy that built my bass.

Just my 2¢ . . . ;)

mystichands likes this.
  10. zook

zook Friend of Leo's

Ah, Stevenage, where the mighty Vincent came from

11. mystichands

mystichands TDPRI Member

You’re exactly right! The only tech in my town is a “fender certified technician “, and he went to Fender University, whatever that’s supposed to mean. He told me that I “turd polishing “ an old Epiphone that I brought in for a setup years ago. I have a lot of guitars. After that turd remark, I decided to learn how to do my own setups. He’s a Fender and Taylor dealer so he’s always talking people into buying the most expensive guitars, and bashes on you if bring in anything “cheap “.

12. mystichands

mystichands TDPRI Member

I agree with you about the money these new young guys throw around so easily. It’s the more it costs, the better it must be, train of thought. I’m old enough to remember seeing the Beatles on the Ed Sullivan Show. I’ve had more guitars than I can remember, and amps, pedals, etc. I learned that playing and practicing do a lot more for your sound than your gear. Yeah, I need a new Rickenbacker 330, I’ve never had one. But I don’t have two grand to spend on one, so I am fine with that.

13. mystichands

mystichands TDPRI Member

Great comment. I’ve seen that attitude about Squiers before. I’ve had it myself, before I got a CV 50s Tele. Then I quickly realized that it is a good guitar. Period. Yes I put a fatter Fender neck on it. But I didn’t have to, it was fine, I just had some extra money. If you’re just learning to play, don’t let it bother you. It’s good enough. You’re seeing that the guitar community is still pretty prejudiced, snobby, and it seems to me that they all have good jobs and lots of money. How else can guys drop a couple grand on a new guitar?

rockymtnguitar likes this.
  14. gip111

gip111 Tele-Meister

I've been doing fret work for years with the most primitive tools you'll ever seen. Point is I feel one should learn their guitar inside out and doesn't take much but patience. Confidence will build in time and at some point you'll wonder why you ever took your guitar to a tech.

guitarist232345 likes this.
  15. guitarist232345

guitarist232345 Tele-Meister

It's like bike maintenance or basic car maintenance. It pays to know a thing or two rather than nothing at all.

gip111 likes this.
  16. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

Nearly got sucked into an 8 year old thread there lol.

17. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

Nearly?

bls82261 and Fendereedo like this.
  18. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

Ok, I did lol.

19. guitar_paul1

guitar_paul1 Tele-Holic

Yep. Me too.

I love cheap/interesting instruments (David Lindlay anyone?) and I especially like the fact that if I mess up my homemade repairs I'm not out a lot of money.

I've experienced lots of that label snobbery, so I finally quit taking guitars to techs.

Additionally, I've seen "techs" charge for a complete setup where they quite frankly didn't do squat.

bls82261 likes this.
  20. crowhaven2000

crowhaven2000 Tele-Meister

Me too But this is my only post. I didn't realize it for quite a while because I started on page 1..lol

Fendereedo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.