Dishwasher repair

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheGoodTexan, Mar 26, 2020.

1. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    How much time/money would you spend trying to repair a 15 year old budget dishwasher, when a new budget dishwasher is $299?

It’s not draining all the water. I pulled it from the counter and nothing is clogged. Seems to be a bad pump motor.

2. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

Only thing I can say is that a service call is about 250 minimum if you cannot fix yourself

Depends how much you like your washer and it may last another 15 years once fixed while the new budget model will probably be lucky to get 5 or so

TheGoodTexan and String Tree like this.
  3. trxx

trxx Tele-Holic

If was sure it is the pump and a new pump is available for a reasonable price, I would replace it personally.

Are you sure it is the pump? Is the drain line clear? Does it have a drain valve?

Buzzgrowl and TheGoodTexan like this.
  4. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

I’d replace it with a decent dishwasher. Diminishing returns is a real thing

IF our kitchen rehab ever gets going I’ll feel good about replacing a bargain range with a $2,000.00 twin oven, five burner, high end range. Add to that a $450.00 Italian sink and we’re good appliance wise for a while

TheGoodTexan and rangercaster like this.
  5. guitarsophist

guitarsophist Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

We replaced a 10-year-old dishwasher for the same reason. But when they delivered the new one, and we explained to the the installer why were were getting a new one, the guy pulled the drain vent on the sink out and sure enough there was a bunch of junk clogging it. That was why it wasn't draining. We replaced it anyway, but if I had known what the problem was before we ordered the new one, I wouldn't have done it.

6. TeleTucson

TeleTucson Tele-Afflicted

I would not pay someone else to do this for a major part - as others have said, it'll quickly approach the cost of a new unit.

However, online parts and manual downloads make self-repairs easier than ever, but you do need to troubleshoot so you don't go on a wild goose chase buying/installing things unnecessarily. Sometimes its a contact on a controller, etc., rather than a pump.

My philosophy is that (1) new products fail just like old ones, so self-repairing is usually worth it unless the part is really expensive just because its in scarce supply, and (2) I also prefer this not because of saving $$ but because I hate scheduling repair and deliveries at home with the arrival times usually being so wildly unreliable.

7. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Depends on what you expect from your dish washer Washer.jpg

radiocaster and Geo like this.
  8. TheGoodTexan

Admin Post
    Funny thing... the exact model is still available as a replacement. Its a Frigidaire... nothing special at all.

It's not an item that I care to splurge on. I have been in friends' homes that have really nice appliances, and that's cool. But it's not a concern for me. Its just me and my wife... light duty. As long as the dishes get clean, that's all I care about. We run it about twice a week.

Fretting out likes this.
  9. TheGoodTexan

Admin Post
    I'm 80% sure it's the pump.

The very first thing I did was assume that there was a clog, so I poured a half bottle of Liquid Draino in the bottle. Fifteen minutes later there nothing had moved. So I had to shop-vac all of that out. That's when I pulled it from the counter and checked all of the drainage tubes and such. Nothing kinked. And there is zero water in the line.

I turned it on the part of the cycle that drains... and the pump clicked (or maybe it was a relay)... but didn't pump.

10. TheGoodTexan

Admin Post
    I do cook a lot. And I spend a lot of time in the kitchen. But its just me and my wife, so the dishwasher only gets run (ran?) once or twice a week. We have a nice house. Kitchen is modest, but works well for us. Not a gourmet kitchen by any means (not at all). A high end dishwasher would look absolutely ridiculous in our kitchen, unless we replaced all appliances with high end stuff (which I'm not going to do).

11. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

Lose it.
    For all of the work you have to do, just to get it out, may as well put a new one in its place.

TheGoodTexan and rangercaster like this.
  12. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

7-12 year lifespan average for a dishwasher ... time to whip out the old checkbook ... I guarantee the new one will be quieter, clean better, and use less water and energy ...

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  13. TheGoodTexan

Admin Post
    Drain vent on the sink?

I need to look for that.

14. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

There is a rubber check valve in the drain hose to stop backflow. It could be that. It probably doesn't have a separate pump from the spray pump, so if one works the other should too.

Buzzgrowl and TheGoodTexan like this.
  15. TheGoodTexan

Admin Post
    Nothing to do with the current situation, but I'm at home basically 24/7 right now anyway.

But yeah, I hear ya.

16. MarkieMark

MarkieMark Tele-Holic

Mine is at least 35yrs old, and I have been known to throw a few parts at it every decade or so.... It doesnt get used much these days. Its far easier IMO to just hand wash when its just for two of us. Sometimes its simply used as a dryer rack...
    But with home resale considerations on the horizon, and thoughts that newer should be potentially more efficient and all, I am looking to upgrade.

Want the old one? I could notify you when its out on the curb... ;)

(Free clothes dryer included!)

17. TheGoodTexan

Admin Post
    The vent for my under sink system is there on the left. The hose running into the disposal is coming directly from the dishwasher. There are no valves anywhere. And there is no water in that hose at all... not even at the valley point.

That’s what makes me think it’s the pump.

A75783CD-CECF-4DFA-94E2-901779D10CC0.jpeg

18. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

We cook a lot. Our kitchen is modest but needs upgrading. Countertops, drawer/door faces, sink, faucet, range (because we cook a lot) are all new (hopefully since they aren’t working right now) and needed

Next are the bathrooms but that’s a whole another story

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  19. trxx

trxx Tele-Holic

Don't discount how annoying newer appliance interfaces are becoming.

The dishwasher wants it's Start button pressed twice. I know that now, but if someone else is here and doesn't know that then the thing never starts. It doesn't given a good indication of not being pressed twice. The microwave beeps endlessly when finishing. The beep can be turned off altogether, which isn't so good, but every time the power goes out I have to go menu diving to find that feature. If someone is visiting and uses the washer and drier, they can never figure out how to use them, even after multiple uses. There are too many buttons involved to do simple things, where it used to be easy to grok dials. The refrigerator door doesn't get fully closed half of the time because of the way it is designed and beeps endlessly until it is closed completely. Again, visitors who don't know this often don't get the door closed completely and don't know where the beeping is coming from. Too bad we can't try out appliances before buying them. Maybe I'm just getting old, but I have no major issues with using most modern technologies. I think newer appliance interfaces are just being badly done in some cases.

Jlwctn likes this.
  20. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

I love cheater vents. They cause sink backups because they have a short life. Add a disposal and it’s job security for me.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.