Disguising a filled headstock hole

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Tony Ounsworth, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Tony Ounsworth

Tony Ounsworth Tele-Meister

So I guess this is what's called a "Schoolboy Error".

Bought a Mighty Mite Telecaster neck, really pleased with it. Came to drill the tuner holes, was ultra careful, masked off the drill bit, did nearly all the holes perfect, then...you guessed it - the masking tape slipped, and I went through to the other side.

I've managed to fill the hole very smoothly using some tinted wood filler. You can't feel the join with your finger at all. But as you can see, it's slightly darker and just doesn't match the gloss vintage lacquer.

[​IMG]

All my friends are telling me to forget it, but I think it can be improved. My idea was to paint it to match, then lacquer over. I'm pretty handy with painting in miniature, but the question is - what paint to use? I don't want something that will react with the lacquer, and I want a colour that matches as closely as possible.

All suggestions gratefully received.

2. madcaprym

madcaprym Tele-Meister

It doesn't look that bad IMO , I just got done shaping my own tele neck, I tinted it vintage amber and then put 8 clear coats. I screwed up with a run on the headstock and I scraped it off, big mistake now it's a diff shade but looks a little better after the clear.
    I would start by finding out if its poly u, I was told u could use nitro over it, maybe even stew Mac touch up pens? I would try to match up a paint that looks good and just cover it up.

3. Tony Ounsworth

It'll be Poly I think.

I saw the Stewmac pens, but they won't ship overseas (I guess because it's a liquid).

I think I can find the right shade of paint, my question is more what type to use. Would acrylic be ok? I'm loathe to use anything more permanent - acrylic will just wash off.

Obviously I'll test it somewhere out of sight first!

4. Tony Ounsworth

5. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

chalk it up to "adding character" and call it a day. i've seen much, much worse. i've done much, much worse too. nobody is going to give it a second glance once it's all strung up

6. Tony Ounsworth

That's what everyone else is telling me, but I've already decided I'm going to try and improve it. You never know, I might stumble upon some perfect method of fixing this sort of issue, and idiots like me the world over will be grateful!

7. Olgabowl

Olgabowl Tele-Meister

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:eek: :D

8. piece of ash

piece of ash Friend of Leo's

String it up and jam a lit cigarette right over it... wait several minutes.

9. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

No mistaking it when you see your stolen neck/guitar someplace.. Just saying. I think it looks fine personally, except for the fact it has a Fender Decal on it.:oops: But I make necks out of old reclaimed wood, and do not toss one due to a deep bruise/artifact from it's previously life I cannot always remove from the equation.

You can put a few more and put little jewels in them ;)

Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
  10. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Glue on a veneer of maple or pretty wood... and have JBennett make you a decal with your own name on it since Fender did not build that guitar....

11. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

Misposted

Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
  12. barbrainy

barbrainy RIP

I agree with both the above (though I also agree that it's ok to leave as is! I make lots of mistakes in my builds, most I fix, occasionally I learn to live with one - when the guitar is finished, it just reminds me of what I have learnt, and becomes a part of that guitar's history) - Fender decal on a non Fender neck, that is - IMO - a no-no.....

13. guitarzan13

guitarzan13 Friend of Leo's

You are going to catch a lot of negative posts about that decal.... Even my 17 year old son made his own decal for his Partscaster... Barnes J-Caster

In B4 the lock!!! :D :twisted:

Attached Files:

14. Tony Ounsworth

I didn't put the decal on, that's how it came. I spotted it on eBay, thought it looked nice quality (and it is - Mighty Mite are Fender licensed), so I nabbed it. I've not even got a body for it yet, but when I do get one it'll just be for a fun project, I've no intention of passing it off as a Fender.

A shame nobody has been able to answer my actual question. I guess I'll just have to try a few things and then maybe when this comes up again I can be the one to give the answers. I'll let you know how I get on.

15. robt57

MEH, so you are going to strip it off and refinish the neck, or face of the headstock when you get rid of it or the guitar. Never seems to happen that way.

I will stop pestering you about it...

16. Tony Ounsworth

No, because despite my stupid mistake it looks really good. The decal has been applied really well, and as I say - it's a Fender licensed neck. Better quality than most Mexican Fenders I've played. So I'm really happy with it as it is.

I've no intention of selling it on, but If I ever flip it, I'll make 100% sure the buyer knows it's not a Fender.

Satisfied? :)

17. robt57

Being you asked, actually no. The only way you could control what that 'buyer' turned 'seller' does with your handy work who knows because you told him won't re-sell without also disclosing... Well is to not be the one who did it in the first place.

No I am done and leaving the thread. A line in the sand is a line in the sand, moving it is never OK if you think you can ever say it is OK again. It is really quite simple.

18. Tony Ounsworth

Well thanks for your opinion. I don't intend to sell the guitar anyway, it's just for my own enjoyment.

Now then, does anyone have an answer for me regarding which type of paint to use, and which one to avoid if I'm going to lacquer over the top?

19. candletears

candletears TDPRI Member

Oh.
    My.
    Gawd.
    :cry:

20. 5foot2

5foot2 Tele-Meister

So I have a Strat partscaster with a nice new 2013 MIM neck on a cheap basswood Starcaster by Fender body. I love the guitar and likely wont sell it, but if I do how do I insure some future owner won't sell it as an MIM Strat.

Or how do I keep the future owner of a 327 I own from claiming it was pulled from a '65 Corvette?

Kind of an impossible standard to expect the first seller to control a seller 2 or 3 steps down the line.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.