Discontinued turntable stylus help - what happened to Needle Doctor?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Euphonica, Dec 6, 2019.

1. Euphonica

Euphonica Tele-Meister

This is a shot in the dark, and I'm only posting in case one of the many users can help me.

I have a turntable and it needs a new stylus. It's a Stanton D-89 RM, and it's plugged into a 881S cartridge on a Sota Comet turntable.

I called Stanton, who were purchased by Gibson, and they had no idea how to help me. Dude said they only make one stylus now, and that it's supposed to be universal. The 750. I suppose I could order one of those and see if it fits and how it sounds. But I'd rather get a true stylus professional to advise me.

So I contacted Needle Doctor, who I've bought from before, and they have not gotten back to me. The phone number hangs up on me, and the email was almost a week ago. Emails to "info@needledoctor.com" bounce back as a non-existing email address. I did submit a form, but it seems to have been ignored.

It's the simplest question in the world for someone who deals with this stuff, so I'm assuming either they went out of business or they're on vacation, or they just don't care to help me.

So, does anyone know of a place LIKE Needle Doctor who can help me? ND doesn't seem to be available.

2. Just Dropped In

Just Dropped In Tele-Meister

Wow, a new/nos unit (w/stylus) going for $555 on ebay. I checked LP Gear and Turntable Lab, but didn't see any results for that stylus (or cart). If I come across anything, will let you know.

Euphonica likes this.
  3. Euphonica

Euphonica Tele-Meister

Depressing. Maybe I'll just upgrade the turntable, but I really like the Sota. Thanks a lot for checking those places, never heard of them.

4. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Try here....
    https://needlefinder.net/?gclid=Cjw...3KGQfiVWefJzKa22AsM8SSAvr4GKQ9mRoCIY8QAvD_BwE

5. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Yeah, it's a pisser. I can't find parts for my rotary phone either... :lol:

Sanity Inn and rangercaster like this.
  6. fnkmstr

fnkmstr Tele-Meister

Looks like he closed down last month. Needle Doctor was my neighborhood shop when I lived in Dinkytown, MPLS in the late '80's-90's.

7. vid1900

vid1900 Tele-Meister

Needle Doctor closed a few months ago.

He is undergoing radiation treatment, and is concentrating on his art and his health.

All the windows are papered over on the shop:

theneedledoctor 750xx1630-917-0-90.png

8. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

That's weird, because they have 5 cartridge models on their web site, but nothing about that stylus.
    http://www.stantondj.com/cartridges.html

o.k., their web site could be wrong, but can't you use another cartridge? Is the weight adjustable? Have you read the turntable's manual?

Plus you might be able to fit another Stanton stylus on that cartridge. You don't even have the correct stock one, that one is supposed to have a brush. Stanton only made a few real distinct models, they sometimes differed in color or other small details.

9. Euphonica

Euphonica Tele-Meister

nojazzhere likes this.
  10. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

To be clear....I've never used that source, I just googled. Many years ago, I found the stylus for my Pioneer turntable at a place called CMC Electronics, and bought a supply of them. It appears CMC is no longer around.

11. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

Georox likes this.
  12. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's

13. Georox

Georox Friend of Leo's

There are other choices of cartridges that you might look into as suggested by warrant. Ortofon would be a good place to start.

14. Sanity Inn

Sanity Inn Tele-Meister

Would you shop over seas? first site that popped up when I typed in
    your info. maybe they can help you

https://www.pickupnaalden.com/english/turntable_needles.asp?M=Stanton_D-89-RM__6741

I did score this thrifting for $29 bucks, it doesn't spin but i knew the arm and cart were worth around $700.00
    Sony Ps 2250 ( turn table is powering up but not spinning ) BUT it does come with a SME 3009 Improved S2 /fixed headshell arm with a piezo cart

15. Just Dropped In

Just Dropped In Tele-Meister

Never had a stylus retipped, but there are services that do this kind of thing. There's an Ebay seller that retips the Stantons.

16. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Holic

I'm pretty sure most of the true stylus professionals are retired or pushing up daisies.

If the stylus for your cartridge has been discontinued, the only replacements will be whatever you can scrounge as NOS, used or rebuilt (as long as anyone's still doing that). Once anything you find now wears out, you'll go through this again, likely with fewer prospects.

This might be the time to find something new that's likely to be serviceable for another decade.

17. Dan Skammer

Dan Skammer Tele-Meister

I bought some replacement cartridges,styluses and wires, etc..from a guy on Ebay a while ago, he was out of N.J., reasonable and got the stuff to you quick..I bought off him a few times..

18. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Do a search on Amazon ...

19. Euphonica

Euphonica Tele-Meister

Thank you all so much. I kind of agree about a new cartidge - but there are so many options! I’ll need advice on that, I don’t understand the differences well enough.

This place got back to me quickly and they have a $115 and a $165 replacement option. So I ordered one and we’ll see how that does.

Part of me wants to just get a whole new turntable! Bad GAS!

Just Dropped In likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.