1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Discontinued T-Types on sale at GuitarFetish

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by JC_M, Apr 21, 2021.

1. JC_M

JC_M TDPRI Member

Anyone here have experience with the Xaviere XV-820? GuitarFetish has a handful of discontinued and blemished models with ash bodies on sale right now, and the prices range from $174 to $190. I'm having trouble bonding with one of my stage guitars, and these look like they've got pretty good bones that I could mod for a replacement -- new pickup (just one, I want an Esquire), pots and maybe tuners would do the trick.

That is, assuming they're not junk. I've had good luck buying parts from GFS, including necks and bodies, but I've never tried an Xaviere. Thanks in advance!

2. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Afflicted

There's a hundred threads here about GFS. Some folks have had ok experiences with their guitars, others have had bad experiences.

Personally, I'd be prepared to buy a Squier/Fender neck if I bought a GFS guitar.

Festofish and JC_M like this.
  3. basher

basher Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sure, check it out! Just keep your expectations reasonable re fit and finish and get the thing professionally set up. GFS pickups are generally good IME. I had a Xaviere thinline sort-of-tele with P-90s for a while and it was a thoroughgoing rock & roll beast.

JC_M and drmordo like this.
  4. JC_M

JC_M TDPRI Member

Thanks, good advice. My main stage guitar is a Tele I built using a GFS swamp ash body and vintage amber neck, and it's fantastic. (see below). The neck is better than any Squier neck I've played (except for an MIK Squier II neck that was one of the best I've played on).

My thinking was, what would I pay for a decent ash body and neck for a new build? Seems like if these guitars are usable, then I get a good head start on a new Tele for under $200 (plus shipping). But I just got lucky and others are having trouble with the necks, then...well, not so much.

[​IMG]

JRicoC, basher and Festofish like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.