1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Discontinued Squier Telecaster Custom (dual humbucker)-- used pricing?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Brian Krashpad, Oct 30, 2016.

1. Brian Krashpad

Brian Krashpad Tele-Afflicted

Hey, there's one of the older Squier Telecaster Customs with the generic dual humbuckers (not the current model with the Wide Range buckers), Indonesian-made, agathis body, for sale locally. The kind that looks like this:

[​IMG]
    In good shape, w/gigbag. Seller's asking $225, which is not out of line, but not great I think. According to the Reverb "pricing guide" over the last 3 years these have sold everywhere from $120 to $350!

I'm thinking of offering $175 and then maybe coming up to two Benjamins even, if necessary.

If this was a guitar that floated your boat (I'm not dying for it, but have never owned a dual-bucker Tele, nor one with a 4-pot LP-style control layout), what would you pay?

Thanks in advance for your input!

2. BelairPlayer

BelairPlayer Tele-Afflicted

$175 seems a reasonable offer and $200 seems a fair meet in the middle price if you're really into it.

Brian Krashpad likes this.
  3. Brian Krashpad

Thanks. Obviously the $225 wouldn't break the bank, but I've been putting in some long hours of late and feel like a little splurge, to pick up a guitar unlike any in the quiver (past or present), would not be unreasonable. Of course we all probably feel like that most of the time. ;)

Plus, despite being an incredibly cheap bastard, I recently gave away a Tele to my rhythm guitarist to celebrate his tenth anniversary in the band. So there's an existential space left there. ;)

4. Fearnot

Fearnot Poster Extraordinaire

I owned one and it was my go-to for a while even. Bought it for $175, seven years ago. Ultimately, I didn't think the buckers were all that great, and always wished I'd gotten the blonde P90 model. It did play well, fer sure.

5. Brian Krashpad

Thanks! That's good to know. I'm sure I'd like the P-90 version too (if one were available locally)!

Although, I'm pretty set for P-90s currently. ;)

[​IMG]

6. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Yep, I'd say you are. :D

I think anywhere in the $200 range or less is a fair price for that Squier or any other similar and very playable guitar and the gig bag is a bonus. New I believe they were around $279 and depending on it's quality a gig bag would add $20-$40 to that. So there's the $300-$320 top of the range value.

7. Brian Krashpad

Ah thanks, I hadn't been able to find any street prices from when they were new. So if I round to approximately $300 for new street price that helps. My rule of thumb is to try to pay 60% or less of street price when buying used, though I will break my own guideline (by a little) based on individual circumstances. So in this case that would put my target price at $180, so I was right in the ballpark without knowing it.

soulman969 likes this.
  8. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

I do much the same as you do both buying or selling. Based on my experience 60%-70% of new street price for basic stock type gear like that Tele in top condition seems to be a comfort zone for many buyers and sellers and the range in which they can each find an agreeable price.

A gig bag might add $20 to the deal and/or push a price up to that 70% of street price level provided the guitar itself is in at least excellent to mint condition. If the condition is less than that then 50% to 60% street or less may be closer to the mark and a gig bag isn't gonna help much.

So at $180 you're within 80% of his asking price and if he doesn't accept it's at least close enough for a counter offer or more negotiation. Best of luck to you on the deal.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
  9. Brian Krashpad

Great minds think alike! ;) Thanks again.

Here's the actual item, seems in decent enough shape, though one never really knows from photos.

[​IMG]

10. grolan1

grolan1 Friend of Leo's

Somewhere in the middle of the flippin country
    There was a great video someone tagged in another thread here but can't seem to find it now. Comparing the MIM and USA guitars...

Basically the MIM (adding in Squier as well) have a higher resell percentage than a USA model... not price but percentage of the original price.

Saying all of that to say this... current Tele Custom price is $400... yes it's a bit different but only really the pickups (I like the new ones myself)... so a good price of a good shape, gig-able guitar like this is $200-$250. Look what you are getting for so little money.

BTW I have this guitar in white... and love it.

11. Brian Krashpad

Thanks Grolan!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.