1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Disassembling factory (P/G) B-bender mechanism

Discussion in 'B-Bender Forum' started by Ignatius, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

Does anyone know if there are instructions or illustrations anywhere that describe how to disassemble and reassemble a P/G bender mechanism?

I just picked up a B-Bender Tele and I'm toying with the idea of sending it to Marty Bell for a refinish. I have average mechanical skills but I don't want to open this thing up and start tearing it apart if I'm going to run into trouble getting it set back up and recalibrated properly.

2. Dogbear

Dogbear Tele-Meister

• Remove the B string.

• Remove the eleven small screws around the edge of the back plate (ones in red). Do not remove any other screws as they hold the spring and brass blocks................
    [​IMG]

• Pull the bender off the back of the guitar. There is a rubber O ring that fits up into the tower cap so a little resistance will be felt.

• From the back side, push the tower cap off the tower hole that sits on the front of the guitar.

Shouldn't take over 10 minutes................. Reassemble in reverse, nothing will be changed.....

3. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

Perfect. Thank you.

I owe you a beer (or coffee or soda)!

4. unbridled

unbridled Tele-Holic

You forgot the last step: Put it in a box and mail it to me for my next project.

5. Ormond

Ormond Tele-Afflicted

I took out the wrong screws first time out....the spring exploded everything inside - - -really a bad idea and a ***** putting it back together. I had to go to the U. S. Patent web site and look up the diagram in the patent filing to figure out what went where.

Oh...that is a really nice grey metal version you have there...I can read String Bender on it by not "by" who - - - is this what the P/Greene's look like these days?

6. Johnny Isaacs

Johnny Isaacs Tele-Afflicted

Ormond - This is the newer Hipshot version. It's the same as the Parsons/Greene that Fender uses but it's a lot lighter. I'm a fan of this style of bender which is actually closer to what Clarence used.

Johnny Isaacs

7. Dogbear

Dogbear Tele-Meister

Ormond, there are three different types of P/G Benders. Fender makes the chrome plate steel one and hipshot makes two other variations. The Hipshot models have black coated steel and black anodized aluminum back plates. They are all very similar in design. The Fender chrome model is the heaviest, followed by the steel Hipshot and then the aluminum Hipshot. I prefer the aluminum model also as there is no felt different in the bender and you don't have to carry a rock around your neck. The only other real difference between the Fender and the Hipshot is in the size of the brass blocks and the materials used in the tower. I too like the P/W over the P/G, but the differences are very subtle. Fender unit is at the top in the first picture and at the bottom in the second.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.