Disappointed American Limited Edition

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by ChickenKiller, Mar 1, 2020.

Tags:
  1. GearGeek01

GearGeek01 TDPRI Member

Yes... take it back... get your 100% refund... and run like hell AWAY from Guitar Center the rest of your life... There are just too many thousands of other dealers on Earth to fiddle fart around with the typical and usual Guitar Center "we'd sell our gramma for a commission" story...

When GC has finally gone bankrupt (which we have all been praying for, for years)... I will simply visit their grave site and piss on their grave... they are the worst raping a$$holes on the planet... I've lived in 37 of the 50 states an no, its not "just that one store" in "my area"... it is how the corporate asses run the business... it isn't really about the idiots who know nothing about gear that they hire to work like a slave for commission sales...

PLEASSSSSE, Guitar Center, go bankrupt and go away forever...as soon as possible

I keep hearing story after story of this kind of bull-baloney from Guitar Center... I think a well-written email or letter to Fender about how this dealer chain is mis-using their stock of guitars of the Fender brand would be a better way to word the thing

2. Slidlee

Slidlee NEW MEMBER!

1k should get you a very decent guitar. Period.

3. neocaster

neocaster Poster Extraordinaire

If the neck can’t be fixed (I’ve never run into that on a new Fender, even a Mexican Standard) then that’s a manufacturer issue and Fender should stand behind their quality and make it right.

if it’s a setup issue, you should have a qualified tech do it or do it yourself. Paying for a proper setup or doing it yourself is part of the ecosystem. Fret sprout happens, unless your neck is made out of the same metal as your fret wire.

4. LordPuck

LordPuck NEW MEMBER!

I await the final verdict with abated breath...

Chipss36 and ChickenKiller like this.
  5. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

It just needs the fret ends trimmed and the truss rod adjusted. NOT A NEW NECK!!!!

ChickenKiller and MilwMark like this.
  6. SPECTRUM001

SPECTRUM001 TDPRI Member

Just read through this (I am in the UK, and have no truck with Guitar Center). Isn't this a simple case of -

1. Consumer decision ?
    2. Consumer rights ?

Either the guitar was of merchantable quality, and sold as a brand new product under warranty, or it wasn't. If there are tolerances in the manufacturing process, then there is a subjective conversation as to what they are (ie on a £100 guitar, we may have to accept lower standards that we would not on a £1000 guitar).

If the factory set up was not up to the expected level, then GC or Fender should accept responsibility to bring it up to the expected level (and I think that is probably all they are obliged to do). If there is a manufacturing defect (ie sprouting fret ends) then Fender should accept resposibility. If this is as a result of GC humidity, then they should accept responsibility (without charge).

Ultimately though, given there is still a cooling off period for a refund - surely Fender and GC could simply call in the 'if you don't like the guitar, then please have a full reimbursement' ?

Sometimes these things are not meant to be - heartbreaking as that may sound.

Additionally, it seems like a massive amount of effort for a reality that can simply be put to bed quite easily (I would be much more concerned if the problem had evolved over the first 9 months of ownership, and everyone was pointing the finger at each other - now that really IS an issue/dilemma !!!).

logans_tele likes this.
  7. sananteleo

sananteleo TDPRI Member

8. sananteleo

sananteleo TDPRI Member

I'd just return it. But I'm confused about why you bought it in the first place, if the neck was, as you say, "horrible". A neck needing reasonable action adjustment is one thing, but I wouldn't call a neck like that "horrible". I could understand if you bought it online without the benefit of playing it first. But you say you were able to play it, right? Maybe I'm missing something. Maybe you're a new player, and didn't realize how bad the neck was until someone pointed it out to you? That would explain it.

ChickenKiller likes this.
  9. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

In my experience, GC does not generally include setups with their guitars. They charge separately for them.

The guitar needed a setup. That’s all.

OP got a new $1700 guitar for $999. GC offered to do the setup and fretwork for $50. A screaming bargain. And the guitar would remain a screaming bargain. After that $50 setup and fret fee.

Instead, OP took to the web to bash Fender. And GC. Then took it to a tech who apparently can’t do setups? And a second tech who will charge a lot more for the simple setup and fret work.

Makes perfect sense? Cue outrage against a Fender and GC in the thread?

You guys always deliver.

10. croth

croth TDPRI Member

This is the most objective and least emotionally reactive post in this thread. The sharp, protruding fret ends is generally referred to as fret sprout and is, as this poster said, generally a sign of some neck shrinkage due to extended exposure to low humidity. Sometimes that will restore if the guitar is placed in a “normal” humidity situation (approx. 47%) for awhile (ie. buy a humidifier -preferably an evaporative type). Often it will not though, but a fret dressing would “fix” it.

The higher action in the center of the neck is called “relief” and many players add it on purpose though yours sounds like a little too much. Some relief is usually desirable. Relief is what a truss rod does.

What I’d like to know is what your tech means by “messed up” and why he didn’t explain these above things to you? Is “messed up” a new technical term?

All the above is not to say that I would keep that guitar but if it really is a $700 discount, it might be worth putting the work into. I wouldn’t let GC touch it though, but I might seek a second opinion from a tech who doesn’t have a diagnosis called “messed up” in his vocabulary.

Contacting Fender was a good idea. Hopefully they can be of help.

My suggestion for the future is to try to maintain a less emotional, over-reactive demeanor with these things. And certainly avoid making threats right from the start. No one responds well to that.

Best of luck in resolving this problem and please keep us posted with the results.

logans_tele likes this.
  11. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

sometimes ..ya got to just do that..or the best tele ever ..the Peavey Reactor...it smokes every tele i ever played..best neck..weight..balance & pickups,,by far...i almost gave up on Tele's until this gem crossed my path..

3 pak japan superior craftsmanship & tone monsters..

PV tele (2).jpg 333 Lp's (2).jpg

Jlwctn likes this.
  12. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Deleted

13. ChickenKiller

ChickenKiller Tele-Meister

As do I!

14. ChickenKiller

It was the last day that it was on sale for almost $700 off.

I figured it needed a simple set up and my guy said GC should do it and me notify Fender of this / these issues

15. oldunc

oldunc Tele-Meister

A humidity change would not cause the neck to bow; length of a piece of wood does not change significantly with humidity. If the grain was chosen properly, almost all of the change would be in thickness. Humidity change could cause the neck to twist, which would be basically unfixable.

16. ChickenKiller

Wasn’t bashing Fender, yes I was frustrated with the experience.

My guy assumed GC would fix the issue.

Chipss36 and Jlwctn like this.
  17. ChickenKiller

He was referring to the sprout and very high action being played down by GC and said they should address it and make it right.

Being a bit dissatisfied and disappointed is not “so emotional.” Lol

It’s all gonna be ok.

Chipss36 likes this.
  18. superjam144

superjam144 Tele-Meister

This is so funny to me. I went from a rock steady red tele (90s American Standard) to a 2018 Rosewood Neck LE Tele American Pro model as well. I bought mine off of Reverb for a decent price. 1100.

I was pissed off at first because the VMOD pickups are neutered and have half the tone of an original vintage pickup.

You may as well buy a pair of original vintage's and have your tech put them in!!!

This said, the extra work is worth it, this guitar is really a gem. And they should last a lifetime. I can almost guarantee that your guitar is not a lemon, and may just need a little extra work because it hasn't sold and sat for a while.

Question: Do you guys recommend using lemon oil on the rosewood neck? I haven't done a thing to it, GC set mine up and did a great job.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
  19. stepvan

stepvan Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I actually had to do the corporate call on a botched mail order that the store did not want to be involved with and actually said not our problem come in the store next time. Well it panned out but just goes to show you that people can make a bad situation worse by being people

OldDude2 likes this.
  20. OldDude2

OldDude2 Tele-Afflicted

I havent been in a guitar shop in over a year after seeing my dream Tele after someone at GC dropping it.

I offered a fair price, but they said it just came in and they couldn't drop the price...well they did after someone dropped it from 8 feet up:cry:

Jlwctn and superjam144 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.