Disabling the automatic locks on a Mercury

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Papa Joe, May 15, 2020.

1. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    My 2017 Toyota Tacoma has some "deep editing" features on the touch screen. The user can select when / if each door auto locks / unlocks, and when / if the headlights and interior lights automatically turn on / off... and duration too. Pretty cool. I've got it set up where the truck bed light comes on and stays on for about 30 second after the engine is off and the driver's side door opens/shuts - this works perfectly when I pull in the garage at night... get a little extra light.

2. MarkieMark

MarkieMark Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, dont know about the vintage or model of mercury in the OP, but many newer vehicles have editable user preferences that many users often arent aware if.

But in the vein of th rants, the one "automatic feature" that annoys me to near rage and really makes NO sense to me is the power mirrors programmed to aim down at the ground when reverse is engaged. It started some years ago in some euro models, and has seemingly been adopted by everyone.
    If I adjust my mirrors to my preference, why in the world would I want them to move to a useless setting for backing up? If the occasion arose where I need a different view to judge a curb or something..... I can move them as needed.
    And if I were buying a car, and that feature couldnt be over-ridden, I'd pass...

3. galaxiex

galaxiex Tele-Afflicted

My 2007 Dodge Caravan will NOT lock the doors if you leave the key in the ignition with the engine OFF.

It's "almost" idiot proof...

It also has the "rolling lock" feature... locks the doors after 10 mph.

Seat belt "ding, ding, ding" on this one can be disabled... read owners manual...

Edit; It won't lock the doors with key in ignition, engine ON or OFF, as long as one door is open.
    If all doors are closed, of course it will lock the doors,
    but how do you lock the doors (push the button) from outside if doors are closed?
    Push the button on the smart key?.... but it's in the ignition...

:rolleyes:

Last edited: May 16, 2020
    dougstrum likes this.
  4. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Like people that hate certain shipping companies ? Everyone’s favorite is the one 10 other people “will never ever use again :mad: !”

Ford/Ram/Chevy/GM all have their haters and disciples.

Being on so many job sites I’ve found something that I believe to be true : just like all the Chinese-made power commercial-grade power tools are basically the same in function/longevity, all the 1/2 ton pickups average out - the same.

This one rusts quicker, that one eats tires, the interiors of those are uncomfortable , etc...

Heard it all before...:lol:

5. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Afflicted

Definitely can't stand the ding ding ding:confused:

6. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

I don't really hate Ford. More pity

To be fair, 75% of Fords ever made are still on the road.

- wait for it -

The other 25% made it home! :lol:

nojazzhere likes this.
  7. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I hate having to put the car in park before I let a passenger in it out.
    But what I REALLY copulatin' hate is standing out in the copulatin' cold at 3 o'clock in the copulatin' morning waiting to be sure the copulatin' interior lights are going to turn off.

nojazzhere likes this.
  8. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

I was on a job site once around 2004 or 2005. Basically all the trades were at this house trying to get it ready so they could sell it. Huge new subdivision. My black F150 was at the end of the driveway and the GC was yelling like a crazy man at everybody “who owns that Ford ?! Gotta move that Ford !!”

He came up to me and asked if it belonged to me and I said “Yeah, I guess it’s a Ford, I never really paid attention to the brand. They’re all the same. I’ll move it right now...”

It was like the scene in western saloon where the music stops . There were so many Ram guys in there, you know the guys with a couple of teeth and truck nuts on their hitch ?

and for some reason that part of the conversation swiveled their heads.

Lotsa F bombs and cursing and laughing .:lol:

So I went and moved it.

And later today I’m gonna take that same truck over to the Lumberyard...:lol::lol::lol:

Last edited: May 16, 2020
  9. galaxiex

galaxiex Tele-Afflicted

Put your faith in the technology... the lights WILL go out.... :lol::lol::lol:

:rolleyes:

10. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Friend of Leo's

Got a news flash for ya dude, my switches have long ago worn out..Every friggin one of them..

LutherBurger and Rowdyman like this.
  11. MarkieMark

MarkieMark Tele-Afflicted

I feel like maybe we arent talking about the Mercury anymore.... ;)

I dont mean to pick on any one brand, as someone already said, they all have their weaknesses. But FoMoCo does not have a good track record with door lock switches, actuators, power window switches, and more.

But I am reminded of times past, like in about 69' when my grandparents purchased a brand new top of the line luxury GM product.
    I swear every power window switch had failed and been replaced in the first year. Some multiple times. I have worked on brands that had failure rates so high, we saw failures at the pre-sale stage.

I am of the opinion things of this regard are far better now than even just ten years ago. BUT, we are still victims of the "contracted to the lowest bidder" effect far too often.

12. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Usually all that stuff can be disabled or turned on with your dash screen setting. One of the first things I did with my Ram was disable the auto lock and the horn beeping when I lock it.

13. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Same happened to me when I went up into the mountains for Christmas dinner when it was snowing. The warning light came on and I didn't know what the hell the symbol meant, and I had to pull over and look it up on my phone. Just the cold weather reducing the tire pressure.

Toto'sDad likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.