Dirty Tele

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Derix, Sep 25, 2014.

1. Derix

Derix TDPRI Member

Just wondering what everyones opinions are on having the dirt (Dead Skin) on their fretboards and strings.

Do people clears theirs off or let it sit there and become one with the telecaster.

2. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Im not fussy about cleaning my guitars , and my son , who is a metal worker sometimes play them as well. Once in a while when they are becoming real dirty , I wipe it all off at a string change.......unless I forget to do it , LOL..

3. KeithRichard

KeithRichard Tele-Holic

I wipe my guitars after each use and I never let anyone else play my instruments. I have 3 avri teles and 1 usa standard tele so no one touches them except me.

4. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Clean strings are mean strings.

I recall a friend of mine passionately arguing that rosewood fretboards sounded different from maple. I'm not going to get into that argument.

The point is, his fretboards were all so filthy, whatever difference there might have been would have been muffled by ten years of mucky build-up.

I suggested that a clean fretboard might make more difference to his sound than a new neck. He didn't look keen.

5. marsh99

marsh99 Tele-Afflicted

I just clean my fret boards once in a while when I change strings. Nothing cool about having a gunk covered board but I'm not overly OCD about it. I don't wipe strings after playing but then I do change them fairly often.

6. balston11

balston11 Tele-Meister

My view is you get better performance if you wipe the strings regularly and clean the guitar at string change. Also clean guitars fetch better prices if you decide to sell.

7. BritTwang

BritTwang Tele-Holic

I'm another that doesn't wipe down after use. My guitars get a wipe down at every string change (usually every 3-4 weeks) and each gets a thorough clean a few times per year.

8. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

both my teles have maple necks... and the gunk issue is minimal.

both my basses have rosewood necks... and there's probably enough finger goo in those grains to build a whole new me. i leave it there in case someone wants a good sample to clone me from

9. the_stoot64

the_stoot64 Tele-Meister

I don't wipe my guitars when I change the strings. My tech might clean them up when he sets them up every year or two, but I haven't noticed...

10. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

Guitars are tools, or at least I treat them as such. I dont abuse them, keep them in working order, but I don't fuss or baby them. I'll give it a wipe during a string change but I only ever do that when I bust a string. I haven't broken a string in years.

11. dudeman

dudeman TDPRI Member

I also dont wipe down my strings after i play. I will usually fo a gentle wipedown every string change, wich varies depending on how much i play. I might do a string chang once a month, then I have some guitars that might go a year without a string change. I usually do an extensive clean once or twice a year on the guitars that get played the most frequently. Also if i ever let anyone borrow a guitar I will usually change the strings and do an extensive cleaning on it because I dont know how bad their hands sweet when they play.

12. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

I'll wipe the strings after use, even after each set on a gig, it makes them last longer for me. As for the rest of the guitar, not so much.

13. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Friend of Leo's

I do on my guitars, but didn't on my bass. Then one day I looked at it and thought, I really oughta treat this better, so I fixed the noisy saddle, and cleaned the fingerboard. a damp cloth and a little time was all it took to clean it.

On the guitars, I do a quick wipe after a gig or rehearsal, and I wipe the fingerboard when I change strings. I almost never change bass strings, it had been 5 years maybe since the last time?

Attached Files:

14. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Tele-Afflicted

Every few string changes I thoroughly wipe the fretboard, especially just behind the frets, and then mask off all the maple and lightly metal polish the frets. Don't know if it affects the sound but it seems to make playing a bit easier.
    Other than that, just a quick wipe after a gig or rehearsal.

15. Old Bill

Old Bill Tele-Holic

I wonder what you do after being in the bathroom:lol:

Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
  16. thefees

thefees Tele-Holic

When things get rock and rollin I sweat in my hands a lot. That is why I have a rosewood board. When bending doing a vibrato on a maple neck, the string would sneak out below my finger making a "bonk" sound. With rosewood that never happens. Consequently I would wipe the strings down after every gig, and you wouldn't believe the black residue that comes off. Dirty strings are definitely not a tone enhancer. "Be thou every whit clean."

17. 68Telebass

68Telebass Tele-Afflicted

KILLER TELECASTER BASS. That old mare has been rode hard and put away wet, but what a beauty! Glad you took the time to tighten saddle and a quick once over!

Oh, yeah, I guess I'm with the trend of being Felix Unger with my guitars and Oscar Madison with my basses.

Guitars get fastfret like a religious offering whenever played. Keeps strings sounding great for longer. Bass gets a quick wipe with a cloth- but I have nylon tapewounds on that, same set since 1996...

18. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Varies also by location/local climate/weather. When I lived in Colorado, cool dry climate; took care of the acoustic semi-regular, always cleaned up during string change. Didn't need to change strings on electric with same frequency. Down here in the swamp (Houston) I usually wipe down the acoustics every time they're played for longer than 5-10 minutes; electrics every time I remember. If I've played an outdoor gig in the heat, I try to wipe things down at the end of the gig.

Poor old bass; same strings since 2002. But it doesn't see heavy duty, anyway. Thinking about putting on some flat wounds, so I'll give it good once over then.

I use a bandana or old t-shirt rags.

19. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

For those that do regularly clean their guitars, what do you typically use?

I use a damp cloth.

20. Dave84

Dave84 TDPRI Member

I clean my boards every other string change which equals about once a month. While I'm in there I'll make sure the nut is gunk free (with a toothbrush) and then polish my frets with a dremel and mothers mag wheel polish.
    Another good habit is to wash your hands thoroughly before playing.

I use and old (but clean) t-shirt and lighter fluid. Works great.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.