DIRTY STINKIN' THEFT.

RobRiggs

Tele-Afflicted
778C4EC0-456D-4012-B363-8DB7BE0569A0.jpeg

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
It's a amazing how prevalent this stuff is now. Like every day, even in our farmland, low population county, someone crashes a stolen vehicle under pursuit. Heck, two counties south, it's like multiple times a day. Not to mention, often these people just got out on a "no bail $" exception on another theft or violation. Caught again within a day or two!
Who raises these kids?
Our society is FAR too lenient...

String Tree

Doctor of Teleocity
Went for an early night tonight and woke up around midnight to the sound of my truck crunching into the gravel of the driveway.
Went outside to see two bodies scarper across the field closely followed by another pickup on the road, that picked them up on the other side of the field.

They had tried to steal the wheels from my pickup.
Obviously "professionals". My son had seen a silver Astra casing the place around 9pm, they used logs under the car and put buckets over the sensors of our security lights.

Thousands of £££s worth of damage to my truck: front end knackered, wheel arches and side steps wrenched off, exhaust snapped and God knows what else.

I've just had the local police round for the last couple of hours and my son and I get the impression they know who it is.

God help whoever it is if I find out.
I moved up here to the rural life for health reasons and also to live the quiet life.
I wasn't always someone who lived the quiet life.

After I phone the insurance and get a tow truck to take my vehicle away in the morning, I've got a feeling I may also be reconnecting with some old friends.
Nothing right about any of that.

Quexoz

Tele-Meister
I've had two vehicles, and one motorcycle stolen in the Phoenix, AZ. area (every vehicle I ever owned out there), not counting several more break-ins and theft of stereos, etc.

One of the vehicles (conversion van/camper) was located in a bank parking lot by a friend. The cops only showed up to have me sign off on a "found it" form and would not even get out of their car to check out the damage/drug paraphernalia in it...but would surely arrest me for having it on my way home, they even said so.

The motorcycle was spotted by a friend in a driveway, a few blocks away. The cops refused to come out and do ANYTHING at all. I had to go up onto their property and "steal it back" myself and I am sure they would have had no problem charging me with trespassing, maybe even grand theft if caught. I took my MAK 90 with me, strapped on my back just in case. It was all bashed up and of course no police report = no insurance coverage.

The same motorcycle was run clean over in a bar parking lot...by the guy I went to the bar with. I got photos of his car, which he stopped driving and was hiding behind a building at his place, all dented up and having my bike's paint on the front of it. The cops refused to come investigate at all.

The other car was never heard from again. I find it hard to believe it never turned up in a ditch or vacant lot, ever.

The police are worthless. They don't even pretend to try. You can catch the thief yourself and have proof they did it, and the cops will not even show up to talk about it.

Lef T

Tele-Afflicted
They took off running. The cops knew the truck, the owner, his brother, heck the entire stinking lowlife family. They were captured, arrested, tried and found guilty. Since this was third time the had been found guilty they got 15 years in Parchman. One died there and the other was killed in a botched gas station robbery.
Now that story just brightened up my day.:)

Tele-Afflicted
I've just had the local police round for the last couple of hours and my son and I get the impression they know who it is.
They may well know who did it- but what makes you think the police will do anything about it?

Way back in the '90's I lived in Deans, Livingston and owned a rather nice flat-front RS2000. Woke up one morning to find it gone and called the police... who attended and made it abundantly clear that they were form-filling but not at all interested. Me'n a mate cruised Craigshill, Livingston and found the car pretty much where we expected it to be. About a mile from my house and up to the arches in mud. I stood by in the hope someone would come out to it while he went for the cops: suddenly they were interested! A spotty Plod informed me I couldn't drive it away because he would have to take it to the copshop to be fingerprinted. I laughed in his face and pointed out that
1) If he wasn't wearing the funny suit he'd be refused insurance due to his extreme youth
2) A couple of hours earlier he could hardly be bothered to write out an incident number for me.
3) I therefore didn't trust him with my car...

The (much) older sergeant with him laughed and told me to bring it up behind them which I did. When they were finished with it it was manked up with fingerprint powder and they'd retained the interior mirror- which I never did get back. The car was never the same again and I sold it on soon after. Never learned what became of their "investigation."

Maybe things done better nowadays... Ha! Take care.

TheFuzzDog

Tele-Meister
it's only stuff

I don’t know if you meant it this way, but this comes across as snide and judgmental. You have no way of knowing what the value of something is to someone else. When someone stole my winter boots at a party and left me with nothing but sneakers to wear in a heavy snowy winter, if you had told me “it’s only stuff” I would have expected you to provide the hundred clams to replace them, because “it’s only money.”

Masmus

Tele-Afflicted
They stole a pair of sunglasses, and left me a screwdriver, which the police were not interested in. But what hurt most was that they went through all my cassettes, scattered them on the ground, didn't take any of them. Is my taste not good enough.
Many years ago a pro car stereo thief stole my radio out of my truck. he didn't damage anything, unplugged the wiring harness and left my Led Zeppelin II cassette on my seat. I felt strange afterward because I didn't completely hate the guy since he actually showed a little consideration when stealing from me. Thieves today are the scum of the earth. They don't care about anything but themselves. We had a theft ring here stealing cats off cars, they were arrested, everyone made a big deal about how well our police did their job, then they were released and the thefts started up again. Most small crimes the police can't be bothered to fill out a report why would they if they are just going to release them anyway. What I miss most is the lack of professionalism among thieves. :lol:

Kandinskyesque

Tele-Afflicted
They may well know who did it- but what makes you think the police will do anything about it?

It's possibly in somebody's best interest that it's resolved by them, at the very least it's in the perp's best interest that it's resolved through the appropriate channels. Further evidence suggests it won't be long before I find out who it is.

It's a small rural station, entirely different from what I was familiar with when I lived in "What's it called". I'm familiar with one of the officers who turned up last night, through a community project. He seemed to take the issue quite personally.

Very low crime rate here, I don't think they'd like to see it double.

AcresWild

TDPRI Member
They took off running. The cops knew the truck, the owner, his brother, heck the entire stinking lowlife family. They were captured, arrested, tried and found guilty. Since this was third time the had been found guilty they got 15 years in Parchman. One died there and the other was killed in a botched gas station robbery.

Some people say it’s only “stuff”. But it’s my ”stuff” and I worked to get it.

exactly, and the people who tend to steal "only stuff" tend to actually harm their community, not just stuff

TheFuzzDog

Tele-Meister
Hard to understand a thief stealing something that gets them less than 1/4 Of what it costs the owner to fix and replace?

Stuff like cutting all the plumbing pipe out of a house to sell the scrap copper.

In NYC somebody broke into my car to steal a roll of tarpaper.
Cost ten bucks and weighed 50lbs.
WTH?
Not even any tarpaper shacks in NYC...
It’s very easy to understand, IMO. The thief does not care about the value of what they stole. They care if they can maybe get something for it. Years ago, I had a camera bag stolen out of my car. The camera, though expensive, was the least of my concerns. The 30+ rolls of exposed and irreplaceable film were. What did the thief do with them? Not an effing thing. They were worthless.

Preacher

Poster Extraordinaire
Good luck and best wishes on getting some relief on this. As someone who suffered a theft recently it has amazed me how much it has changed my psychology. I am noticing things that I don't think I would have noticed before.

Just the other day I spotted two guys at the end of my street laying under a truck. Normally I would have just rolled past but I pulled in behind the car parked behind the truck, took my camera phone and snapped a picture of the car and then a picture of the two guys under the truck. Then I pulled up to where the truck was and asked the guys if they needed help just so they knew I was there.

I was parked at least 10 feet away from them in case I had to make a fast getaway. The guy laying on the ground nearest me looked over and said, "unless you have a 1/2" breaker bar I don't think anything is going to help get this bolt out". I laughed and asked what they were doing and he told me that the U joint had broken on the driveshaft and they were trying to replace it.

I told them to hold on a minute and drove off. I had a 1/2" breaker bar at my house which was just down the block. I walked back with the breaker bar in my hands and you would have thought I was the bees knees as how appreciative those guys were.

THX1123

Tele-Afflicted
I hope you get justice and a remedy. Usually rural thieves working on that scale are local and stupid. A guy I went to high school with recently stole a calf in the next town over, about 20 miles away. When he tried to sell it to another farmer they busted him. Dumbass actually busted for cattle rustling.

So yeah, I grew up in a rural place. People often took care of their own problems, let's just leave that at that. That said, I don't think there are too many material possessions that are worth possibly taking a human life for, or going to jail for. Once the cops are involved the time for country justice is over.