1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Dirty power? Crappy power supply?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Chud, Feb 27, 2021.

1. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

Pretty sure it’s a bit of both, but looking for thoughts on how/why I have so much noise. It starts with the compressor, and just gets compounded with each additional gain pedal. Noise gate is off.

I have a crappy cheap Mosky unisolated power supply that is getting replaced soon, so that may be the main culprit. Kinda sucks that even one gain pedal with the compressor on makes so much noise as I like an always on compressor.

24 track likes this.
  2. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

Bingo.

3. Leonardocoate

Leonardocoate Tele-Meister

4. Chud

That's pretty much the same I have now, just rebranded and in a slightly different configuration. If it's fed by a wall wart, it's not an isolated power supply (except in the case of the MXR brick). Even if they say they're isolated, they're really not.

northernguitar likes this.
  5. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Yup. That's ground loop hum. It's okay for a few pedals to share un-isolated supplies, but you have WAY too many pedals for that. Get yourself a good, isolated power supply or two. If you need to double up pedals on PS ports, use Y adapters with the ground lifted off one side. Voodoo Labs sells them.

In the old days, I ran 5 Boss pedals on a common 9-volt supply with no hum problems, but when I started playing again in the early 2000s I went pedal crazy and started shoe-horning more onto my board. I found that 5 was about the limit and that once you start adding more (or adding big digital pedals) you start to have problems.

These days I'm running nine pedals on a Voodoo PP2+, with two low-current pedals sharing a port through Y-cable. No ground loop problems at all.

[​IMG]

drewg and Chud like this.
  6. Chud

Yeah, a Strymon Zuma may be in my very near future. I was looking at the Trutone CS12 and almost pulled the trigger, but my Pigtronix looper needs 18v at 200ma, and the CS12 only has 100ma at 18v, so that keboshed that. The Pinwheel and Oceans 12 also need 310ma and 200ma at 9v respectively, so I can't run them both off a single 500ma output. The Zuma is all 500ma, and has two switchable 9/12/18v outputs, so that seems to be the winner.

I was also looking at the Cioks Ciokolate but that's about $100 and 4 outputs overkill that I can put toward the power supply on my second small board arriving in about 5 weeks. :lol::lol::lol:

Anyone have experience using a current doubler cable to increase the ma current to a higher draw pedal? That might allow me to use the Trutone CS12's two 18v 100ma outputs with the Pigtronix and save a few bucks while still covering the rest of my clean power needs.

24 track and northernguitar like this.
  7. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Chad ,
    I have a voodoo labs pedalpower 2 , good bad or indifferent i dont know, Im in the process of making/designing my own supply out of a 400 watt unused ATX computer power supply with a few buck converters voltage regulaters, an easy afternoon project. My take on some of the power blocks I've seen is the the quality of the output separations and the amout of current draw each pedal needs. certain ( in my case) pedals usually digital ones dont play well on the pedal bord with others , first i had to isolate them and the rest were fine and ready to go , but the digital one had induced hum a that was unusable.

try removing your gain stage pedals one at a time see if you can find if it is one bad pedal ( you may get lucky) you my find the noise is a sympton of a different pedal all together ,my H9 max needed its own wall wart for the same reason, so did my DOD FX17 Vol / wah and my Zoom 707 , even though I had enough current draw fi feed them

good luck with that keep us posted

Chud likes this.
  8. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave Tele-Meister

I have 2 Strymon Ojai power supplies.
    One puts out 2 x 18v and 3 x 9v
    The other puts out 5 x 9v
    Even with those, any shared power seems to put noise into the signal.
    I find even sharing the additional Boss 9v out from the TU-3 gives off noise if it's powered from the Strymon.

24 track, Chud and northernguitar like this.
  9. Chud

Yeah, I'm using my Korg Pitchblack's additional output to power the compressor. That may be culprit number one.

10. 24 track

I never really gave it much thought but 100ma is not enough current output to run larger and digital pedals , all the wall warts I see are 500ma-1amp and these power boxes are too light, with lousy isolation , i will have to play with this one , a couple of 18volt 1 amp 12 volt 1 amp outputs and several 9 volt 500ma outs should be standard at least with full isolation (also with polarity switches), HMMM

Chud likes this.
  11. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Tele-Afflicted

Not spending your money, only you can do that. But Walrus isolated power supplies are dead quiet. As an added and amazing world-beating feature (my opinion) the Aetos has a 120V 3 prong outlet on the side so high draw (tube) pedals aren't a problem.

Chud likes this.
  12. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

The CS12 has two 18v outputs. You can take a current doubler cord and plug into both outlets to provide roughly twice the amperage. Make sure it's a current doubler, not a voltage doubler.

Also, the unit puts out somewhat greater amperage than stated, so it may work on one 18v outlet. For instance, I have powered 500ma 9v pedals on the 250ma 9v outlets.

You can also get an adapter to reduce voltage. I don't have any 18v pedals anymore, so I use an adapter to run 9v pedals on the 18v outlets.

Chud likes this.
  13. Chud

That's what I was considering, but don't have experience with whether that will increase noise from those outputs or not. Doing that with the CS 12 I'd need to double up on a few other outputs that would require probably $30 worth of cables, so I'm wondering if I'm better off just going with a few smaller units that cover everything I need without having to use adapter cables.

14. Leonardocoate

Leonardocoate Tele-Meister

It's a battery pack charged by a wall wart....It's very quiet....I can't prove it but I'm sure it's isolated.....how can you tell if it's not isolated?

15. Chud

Ah, missed that part of the equation. I'm not as familiar with the battery operated units to know whether isolated power is even a thing with them. Anyone else? Bueller? Bueller? Lol

24 track likes this.
  16. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

Check for continuity between outputs with an ohm meter. An isolated supply shouldn't have any continuity.

I would think that a battery powered supply should be much quieter, isolated or not. But if a pedal is somehow still noisy on a non-isolated battery supply, I would think that would potentially affect other pedals.

17. 24 track

Chad , check this out it might answer some questions for you

I like the strymon in the second video , it ticks alot of boxes for me

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
    Chud likes this.
  18. Chud

Oh yeah, watched that vid. I've been steeping myself in power supply comparisons lately. Lol

24 track likes this.
  19. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

One thing he is leaving out there is that switch mode supplies are complex and if not done well can introduce noise themselves. That applies to more than just pedal power supplies.

24 track likes this.
  20. Chud

Your feedback is welcome, but not all that clear. Are there specific brands or models you know of with switching supplies that aren't done well, or are you just commenting on the general complexity of switching supplies and the need to do them well?

24 track likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.