1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Dirty channel is whisper quiet

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by bobbytouche, Feb 26, 2021.

1. bobbytouche

bobbytouche Tele-Meister

Hey folks! Problem here.

I have a 120w Bugera (I already hear you scoffing ) 6262 Infinium head that I’ve been running for about 6 months now. Never had any issues until a month or so ago. It started sounding super muffled at low volume (0-2 on the dial) and very thin and brittle at any volume above that (2-10). This was on both clean and dirty channels.

I brought it in to an amp tech down the road who said I had 2 bad preamp tubes and a dirty volume pot on one channel. I had him clean the pot and replace all 6 preamp tubes with JJ’s. After that the amp was roaring. Sounded fantastic.

Today I powered up to play a bit and was thoroughly enjoying my clean channel until *uh oh* the EVH bug bit me and I switched to dirty for some Unchained goodness. But to my dismay (which developed into puzzled frustration), the dirty channel was nothing more than a weak memory of what a bad practice amp sounds like on 0.5 volume.

First thought was to dial up the volume but there was no change to be heard. 0-10 is the same wimpy, flaccid, hardly audible second channel that could have been rumbling the Hollywood Bowl yesterday.

Being that I’m the “Daniel-San” to your “Mr. Miyagi” I thought I’d pull on your coat for some ideas as to why I’m writing this post instead of scaring the chicken medley out of my cat.

Thanks!

2. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

Try wiggling the tubes. Then try swapping them around. After that I would guess it might be a bad pot or the switch and you are only getting leakage making its way though.

bobbytouche likes this.
  3. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Poster Extraordinaire

I had a similar problem with my Mesa about 15 years ago. I played it a lot outdoors, and after a few years the pots accumulated dust and gunk and started going bad one after another. At first they were scratchy and then one day, it just sounded wimpy with little to no volume. When I came back the second time, the repair guy suggested just replacing them all. From what I remember it wasn't an expensive repair. I still have the amp and the pots are still going strong. Anyway YMMV as they say

bobbytouche likes this.
  4. bobbytouche

bobbytouche Tele-Meister

This may have something to do with it...

just cranked the amp on again to inspect the tubes and one of the preamp tubes has a nice white frost inside the dome. Dome? Sure, why not.

So I pulled the tube and the glass around one of the pins was nice and broken off and has an internal wire holding on for dear life.

let’s chalk this up to being time for a tube order. Fingers crossed it’s just a faulty tube.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
  5. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

White stuff inside means it lost its seal. I would bet you found your problem.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.