Dirt pedals with Hot Rod Deville?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by TeleBrew, Dec 18, 2017.

1. TeleBrew

TeleBrew Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I used to have a Hot Rod Deville 4x10, but didn't use dirt pedals with it much at the time, and that was over ten years ago. I just acquired a Deville 2X12 and am having trouble finding anything that plays nice with it besides my Big Muff.

Brand new RAT: nope. Maybe it was a lemon, but it added nothing but extra volume.
    E-H Glove: nada. It just sounded muddy.
    I even tracked down a Catalinbread Hyper Pak (used to have one about ten years ago): nothing doing. Not much added dirt at all. Weird.

Any ideas?

Rospo likes this.
  2. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

I'll be watching this thread. People generally rag on the HRD and Deville gain/more gain settings but I disagree. It's not high gain by any means but I picked up a Deville 212 a couple of weeks ago and am more than surprised by the sounds I'm getting from mine. 90% of the time I'm using a Roadhouse Strat with Texas Specials. It could be "tighter" but it's really more usable than I expected. I'd like to know what will make this thing scream with the wife and daughter aren't home. :cool:

3. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I had great success with that amp and the following:

Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde (the TS side)

Catalinbread DLS III, Naga Viper, Karma Suture.

4. TeleBrew

Yes, I like the gain/more gain sounds too. I have no problem with using those, but a distortion pedal would be useful for when I need to go over the top a bit more.

5. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity

Digitech Bad Monkey (if you can still find one)!

6. Jsil13

Jsil13 Tele-Holic

I have the same amp and use a Greer Light Speed, EQD Dunes, Wampler Tumnus, EQD Tone Reaper, and Analogman Prince of tone and they all sound good. I typically use the light speed as my main sound and then stack on top of that for leads of heavier rhythym sounds.

7. NiceTele

NiceTele Tele-Afflicted

I use a Mesa Tone Burst boost always on, for a Twin Reverb and have used on a Deville and then add a good OD/ dirt pedal.

8. Televised

Televised Friend of Leo's

I don't have an HRD but I think I can recommend a Bogner Blue Ecstasy. I've been able to get multi-sweet spots with the Bogner on Vox Pathfinder 15R, Jet City JCA 20HV, and Silvertone 1483. It's kind of spendy but if gives you multiple options and ways to dial in a tone so that you don't get stuck with 2-3 real options with the pedal. It can be an EQ, Clean Boost or light/medium/heavy gain getting into distortion territory.
    Happy pedal hunting!

9. TeleBrew

Lots of interesting suggestions. Keep 'em coming!

10. TeleBrew

Well, that's my problem. I haven't found a good OD/dirt pedal. Any suggestions?

11. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

I'm a noted disliker of Hotrod/Blues Deluxe/Deville, but following advice in this board, we subbed a 12AT7 for V1 in my bandmate's 1x12HRDx - what a change. The clean is vastly improved, he's now got adjustability from 3-5 with the hint of usable breakup where on 1.9 it was barely audible and 2.1 was too much volume. It was harsh, unpleasant and yet still had no cut onstage.

The reverb has gone from 70's Tandy cheap-ass stereo to nicely ambient with more usable range, up to 6-7 - and now, the Drive and More Drive are not at all bad for bluesy, and a bit harder dirt, still short of metal, but JCM900, yeah baby! He's got a Marshall BB pedal, and it sounds pretty damn good now, not so nasally as it did.

It's no boutique amp by a long shot and the reverb isn't as good as tube-buffered Fender or even Mesa, but it's a hell of a lot nicer, probably on par with newer Vox amps. I don't know why apart from the Robert Cray model Fender doesn't sell them this way. Much, much nicer, takes pedals better too.

We also fitted some good used WXT+ Sovtek 6L6s I had from my old Vibrolux, and biased the amp up to 68 mv on the pot, it's night and day diff on the Groove Tubes which ran out of adjustment at 55 and one was badly mismatched - cool to the touch.

Now his amp cranks and cuts without too much volume, bog standard otherwise down to speaker. That 12AT7 (5751, 12AY7 similar) in V1 was the key to getting the smooth warm Fendery clean, and cool sweet-dirty 2-stage drive back. It's a lot quieter, too. Very impressive improvement.

Try it. $10 for a 12AT7, we used a NOS Zenith because it was the first one that came to hand but it's the reduced gain that does the trick.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
    kevsonic likes this.
  12. DeVilleDude

DeVilleDude Tele-Holic

Original Blues Deville 410 is still my main amp. Early 90's SRV w stock Texas Specials is my #1. Wampler Euphoria into the amp's clean channel is MY tone. I stack the Euphoria w a Paisley or various fuzzes with great results. Never bonded w the drive channel, alone or with pedals.

TeleBrew likes this.
  13. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

"Bogner Blue Ecstasy"

I was just at GC last night and saw one of these on the counter, wondered what it was. Now I know.

14. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

The other guitarist in my band has one and uses it with a '60s Baja Tele. we've been working on his sound for a while as it was pretty hard and sterile straight in and the amp's Drive is not good. We tried all my overdrives and boosts. Together we found the best sound from using an Joyo American Sound as a pre-amp type of effect. Last rehearsal he got it pretty close to a nice tweed slight break up type of sound. Cheap and cheerful but what a difference.

15. don_danapoint

don_danapoint TDPRI Member

I regularly use my Deville 2-12 and my favorite pedal to use with either a Les Paul or Strat with the amp is a Barber Gain Changer.. Very vesatile pedal and can nail some killer tone without sounding harsh..

TeleBrew and kevsonic like this.
  16. TeleBrew

Nice. I looked at that one, actually, as I remembered being interested in it when it first came out. I ended up going with the Ibanez SD9M Sonic Distortion Mod. I got one for under $70, so I figured it was worth taking a chance on, and I'm really happy with it. It sounds good on both channels, so that's perfect.

17. misterdl

misterdl TDPRI Member

Mesa Boogie V-Twin V2...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.