Dirt opinions

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by ReverendRevolver, Jun 12, 2019.

1. ahiddentableau

ahiddentableau Tele-Meister

I don't know if this will be useful for you, but I kind of think of dirt pedals in two categories. The first is "neutral." The second is "colour."

"Neutral" pedals are for when I'm basically happy with my basic guitar/amp sound. Examples are the Timmy and the Zendrive. Your sound is still the same basic sound, only you get more of it (in terms of volume and/or gain). "Colour" pedals are for when I want to substantially alter my basic sound. On the subtle side this would be something like a TS9 (for the mid bump). But mostly I'm thinking about amp-in-a-box designs (lovepedal, Tech21, etc.). Something to think about anyway.

My fav pedals of the first type are the Timmy and the Zendrive. I really like the good ol' MXR Distortion+ too.

2. 65 Champ Amp

65 Champ Amp Tele-Afflicted

Usually OD threads generate the question ~ what amp?

Maybe the question ought to be ~ playing at home, or stage?

Live, so many (most? / all?) dirt is too much. Too much gain, and you simply won’t be heard.

All of my dirt boxes are either sold, or on the shelf. All I have on my gig board for dirt is a Fat Boost 1. Turn up the amp and use the guitar’s volume knob. Of course, I realize that is highly subjective and amp dependent. As well as your style of music!

This may sound crazy, but my OCD lives on my church pedal board (solo high end Ovation). It can make that guitar sound huge, and I love letting the last note sustain into feedback on the edge of control.:D:eek:

3. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

+1 Yup, if I were to ever go down that black hole again, I would go the route of cheapass Chinese clone minis.

I have finally walked away from all of that and went with the golden era amp-in-a-box type pedals like Catalinbread, Lovepedal and Tech 21. I'm not going back.

4. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Holic

You could always go cheapass amp-in-a-box Chinese clones. I was literally just playing my Joyo American Sound (tech 21 clone) straight into the return of the effects loop in my Orange 35 rt. Makes it a completely different amp.

Obsessed likes this.
  5. ClashCityTele

ClashCityTele Tele-Holic

That quote is from the J Mascis video about his mini pedal board:-

Around 5:20. I want that on a t-shirt.

beyer160 and telemnemonics like this.
  6. ClashCityTele

ClashCityTele Tele-Holic

I have all the usual suspects (or clones).
    But the 3 pedals I've decided I really need are:
    EHX Soul Food (or Tone City Bad Horse)
    Boss SD-1
    Boss BD-2.
    That would cover about anything, especially if stacked.
    I play my Tele through a Boss DS-2 (on DS-1 setting) & Mooer Green Mile (TS9).
    Sounds awesome.

7. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

An excellent box and perhaps one of the best deals for the buck from China.

Bluego1 likes this.
  8. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Holic

Plan on throwing something together to play out again in the next year or so, but playing at home right now. As for rig, small room setup is supro blues king, larger room Fender 75, and middle ground can be the former mic'd or the latter on low power. Run (ran?) Toronado and Tele, and had different endeavors in alternative, blues, and punk.
    But I just want to get views on pedals from people who use them. Specifically, since there are so many dirt pedals out there, it seems pragmatic to cheat around playing them all and get opinions on the ones folks use, and then play the ones that are reccomended by the people playing them.

9. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

E1862669-4980-4440-BC2D-83A7AE7804BD.jpeg

TwangBrain likes this.
  10. basher

basher Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I've got heaps of dirt pedals. I like most of them, but four of them see the most use.

OCD v1.2 -- The one time I got a compliment on my tone from an audience member, I was running the OCD into my AC15. It does sound really good.
    EHX Soul Food -- Just an all-around great OD. I like it for pushing the "boutique clean" channel of my Blackstar HT40 into crunchy happiness. It's also nice stacked with just about any other dirt.
    MI Crunchbox v2 -- A one-extremely-impressive-trick pony. Not versatile. Doesn't clean up with guitar volume. Will try to kill and eat any transparent low-gain overdrives that are next to it on my board. God I love it so.
    EHX Russian Big Muff reissue -- A Big Muff is its own excuse. No home is complete without one.

On my board, I'll usually have one of the first two (the practical adult pedals) and one of the last two (the HA HA I AM GOD KING OF THE UNIVERSE pedals).

11. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

I tend to not like many of these pedals, and for many years would only use the tube drives with tubes in them.
    An old Ibanez Tube King and a Mullard Tube I've been saving are really good.
    I really like the combination of that with the Lovepedal HPTT.

BUT...... my actual recommendation is to seek out a Digitech DF-7, which has models of quite a few of the mentioned pedals in it. It works well, and especially records well.

It's got a very good Rat
    TS9
    DS1
    HM1
    DOD 250
    Russian Big Muff
    and couple more I don;t use. Mine was $39.00.
    https://reverb.com/item/24500157-digitech-df-7-distortion-factory

12. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Holic

Donner Stylish Fuzz before Sweet Baby both set as follows:

[​IMG]
    Into a clean channel (at least on my Orange 35RT) = Thin Lizzy Jailbreak. I don’t know why I posted this, other than it’s the song I’m currently learning. The pedal combination sounds much better than the player, believe me.

ReverendRevolver likes this.
  13. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

I thought this was a must-watch regarding the topic of "dirt." I was pretty ignorant when it came to distortion/overdrive/fuzz and was one of those people who figured out very late that not all dirt pedals work for all amps (turns out, I don't hate the tube screamer, I just don't like it with my Fender amps).

This guy makes great pedals. I have his Soul Food Meat-N-3 and his Angry Charlie. His Tube Screamer anthology (Bonsai) looks really cool too, if you are into that sort of thing.

14. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Holic

As you can see there are lots of great options! I like OD/distortion pedals that provide versatility, stack well and provide multiple functions. Here's what I use into a SFTR:

OCD -- broad gain range of OD, sounds great at low gain settings in particular
    ZVex Box of Rock -- Marshall style OD but also has a great clean boost that can be used independently of distortion
    SparkleDrive -- covers TS territory and also allows you to blend OD with clean boost. I don't love TS type OD with my Fender amp, but good to have that flavor available.

I feel I can cover a pretty broad territory using these three, especially in conjunction with each other.

15. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Holic

So.....

I've accomplished very little in picking up anything, but decided for certain on a rat and an EHX Glove.

My problem is I'll only be able to afford one, because even scooping a $30-$40 Rat or R.attack off CL, I wont be able to get a Glove shipped to me with whatever is left of my toys budget.

A Glove can be had shipped for around $50, and I can buy a beaten Rat for $40 with the wrong chip, or just buy a Chicago Stompworks Mister Vermin for probably $60 shipped.

Which pedal, between the Glove (a pedal that is like an OCD but does dirt better alone) and the high quality Rat clone, will I pick up? I guess that depends on if I give up on my goal of getting both for $70, but I would like to thank everyone who provided input here.
    (Even though its caused my want list of pedals to triple....) ;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.