Dirt opinions

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by ReverendRevolver, Jun 12, 2019.

1. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Rat for an amp that I can't crank up, but need break-up.
    Klon for a boost when I can.

2. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

Thanks guys.

I had a DOD grunge pedal I hated years back, and ever since only had the Muff and Graphic Fuzz.

The "to buy" list for a minute has been:
    Joyo jf01(tubescreamer copy)
    Joyo jf02 (ocd clone)
    Rat copy, specially was looking for one that could run on a 9v
    Boss DS1

And things I was looking at to try were:
    Mxr badass pedal
    Ehx Glove
    EHX soul food

A few hiccups occurred in looking when some of the Chinese stuff ran $50ish, because that often times put them higher than the used original.
    Eventually ill own a bigger pallet of dirt, but I was aiming for one OD and one Distortion in the next 2 weeks. I figure running an OCD Clone or a Klon clone could work ok with my existing fuzz, and I'd pick up a $20 ds1 or rat clone.

Does anyone bounce between multiple clones of the same pedal because they like them more than the original? Like, say what you will, but I like the joyo better than the modern ts9. Is this common?

3. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

Check out the Sweet Honey Overdrive for an overdrive tone. It’s, well, Sweet! Joy makes a clone that’s nice. I’m another supporter of the MXR Distortion for some harder stuff.

4. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

A lot of them do, yeah, but sometimes, in a band context, one or two of them really stand head and shoulders above the rest, and shine as clearly a "better" shade of different.

And, sometimes it's not the ones you'd expect.

telemnemonics likes this.
  5. Festus_Hagen

Festus_Hagen Tele-Holic

I have a few different ones, but I use a '79 MXR Distortion+ , and for more dirt and a little boost, I have an MXR Micro Amp in front of it. That does all I need. :)

6. bumnote

bumnote Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

I have several...but really only use 3 of them.
    I bought a Joyo American Sound pedal...and was really surprised. It's actually a very versatile pedal. It was an impulse buy off Amazon...and I didn't even use for a couple of weeks. For only $35 bucks, it's a pretty damn good pedal. I'm going to pickup the British and California versions of this pedal at some point.

Electro Harmonix Soul Food. Nice pedal...low gain very transparent. Easy to get that combo of simultaneously being clean and dirty with this one.
    17C95903-CE28-4A37-A7A1-43897D5ED7F0.jpeg

I bought one of these out of curiosity....and really....really liked it.
    6274EBE0-8AD4-4935-B696-A88F78C953AC.jpeg
    Behringer VT999
    Swap the crappy stock 12AX7 tube with a decent 12AU7 and use a 9v/500mA power adapter instead of the stock 9v/300mA and this thing really comes alive. It really does behave like a tube amp.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    capt pearl and blowtorch like this.
  7. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

I like having very very clear/"transparent" overdrive that doesnt really color tone that much..

Like everyone here, my favorite is Paul Cochrane Tim/Timmy or variations of it..

and I have a Klon as an always on OD..

Tele56 likes this.
  8. blowtorch

I own all three of the pedals you mention, they are all great

bumnote likes this.
  9. Tonemaster

Tonemaster Tele-Afflicted

Maxon SD 9 is all anyone would ever need, If you could only have 1

10. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

Lots of people hate it, but one of my favorites is the Fulltone GT500. It's a Fat Boost on the left, and some kind of DS-1 type of distortion (I think?) on the right. It often shows up used for less than $80.

I had a Full-Drive 2 for a while but it's not my style of dirt that I like so I sold it. Great pedal though.

Also, the DOD 250 is a favorite of mine as well, although it's not on my board now. Got that one for $50 too (the reissue).

The 2 dirt pedals I have on my pedal board right now are the Tech 21 Hot Rod Plexi and an MXR Variac fuzz.

I've also tried out some of the cheaper pedals from Caline (Sandstorm, Orange Burst, Pure Sky - all worth a try especially if you see them used), a BBE Windowpane fuzz (silicon fuzz face clone) and a Rat Deucetone that was pretty badass.

There are so many OD/Distortion/Fuzz boxes out there you really just have to roll the dice and try as many as you can, keep the ones you like and sell the rest.

11. blowtorch

My first pedal! Well, the Ibanez SD 9

12. blowtorch

That MXR Variac fuzz is killer. I've got to remember to get mine out more often

13. JBFatFingers

JBFatFingers Tele-Meister

Following this thread with interest, as I'm also considering switching up my OD game (particularly on the distortion/fuzz side), but I will say this...

EHX Crayon. I played it through a Vox AC10C1 and now through a Marshall Origin 20 head, and it's been a great almost-always-on, relatively transparent drive for a sweet, crunchy baseline sound. There's a lot of speculation as to whether it's intended to be a Timmy clone, or an Xotic BB clone, but unlike those pedals you can find Crayons all day on Reverb for $40. From time to time I think about trying out a Timmy, or an 808, or something entirely different, but every time I turn it on it makes me wonder why I would ever think about replacing it.

14. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

My go-to overdrive pedal. It does sound best with a 12AU7. I like the three band tone controls, as most of my amps don't have much in the way of tone controls, if any. It responds very well to being pushed with a fairly clean boost pedal too.

bumnote and blowtorch like this.
  15. blowtorch

Just realize there are like 5 different MXR pedals under the "Badass" moniker

16. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

Sounds like you've got my favorites covered. Tube Screamer & Big Muff.

Some of the others seem a lot harder to make work with much narrower windows where they sound good.

E.x. Klons. I haven't had a real Klon but I've had the Soul Food & currently have a Tumnus Deluxe... both of them seem to have very narrow windows on the controls where they sound good, and they put pretty extreme constraints on how the amp has to be adjusted as well. Whereas the TS & Big Muff? They put almost no constraints on the amp & have very wide windows of settings that sound good for me. Clean Channel, Dirty Channel, they don't care. Lots of different sounds. Klones for me only work on my dirty channel and only work with the EQ set very exactingly on the amp & pedal and low gain settings on the Klone.

17. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

Yea, I figured they're voiced differently, otherwise I'd just buy the one that matches the pedals next to it in the chain....

@beyer160
    I'm hoping that GC has Supro BKs in stock so I can replicate my smaller setup. Fuzz wise, I could never buy into germanium superiority, because the Big Muff is silicone, and that was the first flavor of such pedals I really got behind. Now I'm not an expert on Rat style stuff, germanium may have some difference, but I'm not sure its enough difference to snub other stuff. Some analog delays have BBD chips that seem of lower quality and color the sound in a different way than older versions of the same thing. I'm not sure if dirt pedals really have a different in a bad way thing possible, just a different sound.
    The staples of Rat, OCD, Klon seem consistent, as do TS variants and Timmy's.
    I used to get my breakup just with the amp in band settings, and had gotten used to that being a thing, so maybe a Klon copy or variant copy is a good place to start for low gain OD.

@jvin248
    Those videos are nice, I kinda feel like different flavors of OD/Distortion in various sequences could have lots of variation.

18. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

Germanium isn't necessarily superior to silicon, but it is different. Check out a red Dunlop FF and a blue one, or a Fulltone 69 vs a 70- you'll see what I mean. The gain of the transistors is important too, but the whole vintage fetishism around certain transistors pulled out of WWII RAF bombers or whatever seems a little nuts to me.

Rats have never used germanium transistors, the controversy there is the fabled LM308 IC chip vs the replacement OP07DP (they switched over around 2002). My Rat has an LM308, but I don't have a dog in that fight- use your ears.

19. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I buy used US boutique pedals for around the price of new Chinese all the time, though some end up costing closer to $100.
    This connects to the next question WRT alternate takes on the same basic circuit.

I absolutely try numerous versions of some circuits, because in many cases the originals were designed in the '60s and things are different today.

Take the Muff. There are a few EHX muffs I haven't tried, but the basic eq makes them pretty useless, with all bass & treble but no mids.
    The character of the grit or lack of grit varies greatly as well, and add in the massive number of interpretations on the market, I can't see why anyone that isn't a Don Quixote of intellectual property would even bother with an EHX Muff.
    Look for Blackout Musket or Blunderbuss, BYOC Large Beaver, or Earthquaker Hoof.
    While these tend to be up near $100 used, I find a very useful pedal is worth a lot more to me than a marginally useful pedal.
    There are also cheaper clones of Civil war era Rissian muffs like the Big Knob brand and others, that don't have the mid scoop that makes muffs hard to hear without excessive volume, but the Russians have massive bass, which may be a problem with smaller amps.
    Bear in mind when trying muffs that you add treble and cut bass as you turn up the gain.
    Also worth noting is that when you buy a high end US made pedal used, you can sell it without losing money if it doesn't work well live.

Among true fuzz pedals (as opposed to muffs) there are also just ridiculous numbers of options available.
    For a FF there seems to be lots of clones, but they are too popular to get very cheap.
    They aren't my favorite circuit but it's worth trying a few variations. If you've only tried a Dunlop FF you're really not familiar with the possibilities they offer.

While it's true that nuance is lost in a live setting, don't believe that the differences between builds is only nuance.
    The ability to control or choose how much bass and how much mids you get from some of these pedals is in many cases the difference between a pedal you hate and a pedal you love.

I love Tone Benders and even before the boutique builder appeared there were many to choose from.
    Because the pedal buying public is so fickle and gets enrages easily, lots of Benders can be found for prices that approach Joyo.
    They do tend to b\be closer to $100 than $30, but you'll find top builds for $60 now and then.
    The Basic Audio Scarab and the Ramble Twin Bender have both been replaced by newer models so the V1's can be found for reasonable prices and are superb. Bender buyers get pretty nutty with their wallets, dropping $500 on a pedal with barely more than 5 components.
    Prescription Electronics is out of business but their take on the Tone Bender is really good and not too expensive because many complain of not enough gain. Their Yardbox sits at over $200 yet at auction can go for under $100. Worth plugging in if you see one in a shop, but give it some gain and fuzz all the way down settings.

WRT silicone vs germanium, that's a pretty big alternate to dismiss.
    The current pricing of rare transistors is in the subtle nuance arena.
    There are probably billions of great sounding '80s Russian transistors going into fine new fuzz'z, leave the rare ones to the fanatics.

But good heavens don't skip ge because of the hype!
    Also IMO don't choose ge because it "clean up well".
    There are some buzz phrases that appear to define what's good about a pedal on the internet.
    Cleans up well and transparent are not features I look for.

One more little note: it seems like the OCD is viewed as a circuit the way TS, FF and muff are.
    The OCD is actually just a more recent boutique version of the DOD250/ MXR Dist +.
    From those we got the great but discontinued Voodoo Lab Overdrive, then the OCD copied the VLOD with some tweaks, and after that we got the Oddfellow Caveman V1 and V2.
    Next came numerous exact clones of the original OD 250 along with DOD's reissue.
    These are great and cheap, as are the VLOD, possibly the most useful OD in existence, but annoying with no led and the wrong power jack.
    Try em if you see em!

For whatever reason I find the TS, Rat, DS-1, SD-1, Klon and stock muff circuits just do nothing for me.
    If those are what you've used and you're looking for something better, fear not that you've heard all the great circuits and must settle!

beyer160 likes this.
  20. Art VanDelay

Art VanDelay Tele-Afflicted

One vote for Way Huge Swollen Pickle. This is a wooooooly fuzz that can be had used for under $100 all day long.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.