1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Dirk Witte - Great Amsterdam Guitar Shop

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Hockey Rocker, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Hockey Rocker

Hockey Rocker Former Member

I've noticed that their are a bunch of guys here from the Netherlands. Most of them are likely aware of Dirk Witte on Vijzelstraat in Amsterdam. For the rest of us, if you ever get a chance to spend a day or two strolling around Amsterdam, take a break after the museums and before the coffee shops & pubs and check out this guitar shop.

I was in Amsterdam a couple of weeks ago and I finally visited Dirk Witte. This is my idea of a well-run shop. The selection of Telecasters alone was worth the visit. They had custom shops, Bajas, Classic 60's and 50's along with a nice variety of Americans and MIMs. The guitars were all clean and organized. The prices were higher than in the USA (the weak dollar doesn't help), but they seemed quite fair.

I've been to a bunch of shops around the world, and I have to say that Dirk Witte was a very pleasant surprise. Nice shop.

2. GEISHA

GEISHA Tele-Holic

I live just outside Amsterdam, my girlfriend lives in Amsterdam and before my retirement I used to work for a bank on the Vijzelstraat.
    Dirk Witte is a nice place to go indeed.
    During lunchbreaks I often went there to see what is cooking.

For those who plan to go to Amsterdam, another guitarshop worth visiting is
    "De Plug" which is ever so close to the Rijksmuseum and the Van Goghmuseum.
    http://www.deplug.nl/
    They have mostly second hand and some collectable rarities (guitars and amps) and they often stock some Rebelrelic Telecasters.
    http://www.rebelrelic.com/

"De Plug" organizes a free open air concert in front of their shop once a year, mostly in August, called Woodstock in "de Pijp".
    De Pijp (litt. the Pipe) is a district of Amsterdam where the houses are rather narrow it more or less fits in a pipe. Therefore this nickname.
    I was at their last year's concert; there was a Rolling Stones coverband, and a band covering The Band. Good fun.
    A bar is within 15 meters walking distance and beer is served in the street.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
  3. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

I always wanted to check out De Plug, but I can never remember where it is when I'm in A'dam. Now I will have to try again.

I first heard of this shop from the infamous Fat Dog, owner of Subway Guitars in Berkeley CA. He seems to be good friends with the owner and comes over to hang out in Amsterdam sometimes.

4. GEISHA

GEISHA Tele-Holic

Like I said it is very close to the Rijksmuseum, in fact it is just across the street
    on the other side of the canal (Ruysdaelkade) watch out for the red lights close by.
    De Plug is also close to the Albert Cuyp Market which is fun too.
    One of the best salted herring of the Netherlands (Hollandse Nieuwe) is for sale at the Albert Cuyp.
    Also check out the CD DVD shop at the Albert Cuyp, got a SRV DVD for just 5 Euro. http://albertcuypmarkt.nl/

De Plug is a bit of a scruffy shop but that makes it cosy, the proprietor is a cool easy going guy who has a lot of friends in the Amsterdam music scene.
    He often goes to the US to visit vintage guitars dealers and exhibitions.

I know Amsterdam quite well, as I am a driving instructor in my spare time
    in that city.
    If anyone wants to know what or where to go, just ask, I might be of help.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
  5. michaelD

michaelD NEW MEMBER!

terrible shop

Hm..disgarding the fact that it's runned by horrible people. They tr people like ****. I live in Amsterdam myself and bought a wolfgang years ago from Dirk. Bad repair garanty service and attitude as if they've done you a favour by taking your money. Although some good craft men on the background. A Typical Amsterdam Buisiness. To tourists the world always seems bigger, i guess that's why people travel - to have the luxury to not to have to get to know a place.

6. bosrocker51

bosrocker51 TDPRI Member

thanks so much for your comments about vintage/guitars in Amsterdam. I migh be going there, and it's good to hear objective comments. Again, thanks.

7. AngelStrummer

AngelStrummer Friend of Leo's

Dijkman on Rozengracht near the Westekerk is good too, I find. They have a huge selection of guitars and treat their customers with the respect and courtesy they desrve. I got my Baja from them.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.