1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Direct record or mic guitar when recording solo over backing track?

Discussion in 'Twanger Central' started by ASATKat, Jun 23, 2020.

1. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Mic. I like to keep it simple. Get the sound I want at the outset.

I don't like to spend a lot of time fiddling with the tech, so limiting my options works well for me.

I'm not saying it's the right way, it just works for me. If I was better with the tech I might use it more, but I lack the patience.

2. eddnix

eddnix Tele-Meister

I'm slowly moving away from amps in general. I built a looper pedal and put a cab sim into it with xlr out that goes to a mixer (at home) and from there, wherever.

3. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

Direct. Making a noise isn't an option.

Frodebro and 3-Chord-Genius like this.
  4. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I hate the hassle of recording my amp with mic setup etc but it sounds better to me.
    I use Logic as my DAW and have tried the built in amp models; Amplitube and Bias FX 2. I guess I suck at using these products because they frequently sound brittle or have tin can after tones.
    They are convenient since you can audition different patches after you’ve recorded.
    I get tired of trying to tweak the modeled tones.

5. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

One thing I should mention is that I only recall three times in my life when people complimented my tone:

1) When I was playing onstage using nothing but a Mesa/Boogie Studio Preamp, going straight into the board from the speaker-emulated output;
    2) When my AC4C1-12 quit working before a gig and I had to use my Joyo AC Tone straight into the board as a backup (I still had my Vox on the stage with the mic in front of it - a guy came up to me afterward and said, "That amp sounds great.. it's all in the tubes, that's where the tone is...")
    3) Recently, on stuff I produced on my DAW direct in with amp sim plugins.

Not saying that my tone wasn't great when I was using a miked amp, but I'm just saying these are the only times I remember people actually complimenting my tone.

6. NeubyWanKaneuby

NeubyWanKaneuby TDPRI Member

Direct, as I'm only usually able to record late at night.

When I was able to, I liked micing things up, too.

7. MatchlessMan

MatchlessMan Tele-Holic

Most of the time I record direct but I never use plugin amp sims. I get my sound ‘outside the box’ first, with either an Origin Effects Revival Drive or Sansamp PSA1, into a Torpedo CAB speaker sim.

In short, I try to get a good sound and then record it.

8. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Afflicted

i do a little of both. i have the equip that makes straight in very easy and convenient and for me inspiration is fleeting so... I rely on this the most. Sometimes... i just am playing the amp in the room and it sounds so good I just want to somehow capture it exactly as I'm hearing it... but this often takes a lot of time and trial and error. mic'ing an amp is a whole nother art for for me. I've got good amps/mics/room... but it takes skill and that I don't have as much as I'd like. Certainly can't do it fast as first get the amp tone I want... thats going to rely on a certain volume... then adjusting mics... and it's hard to isolate the mic in in the headphones in order to really hear what I'm capturing so... several test captures later... it's certainly more work anyway.

9. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Maybe I should trade in my Moxie for Fresca! ;)

ASATKat likes this.
  10. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Always direct these days, that's primarily why I bought a Kemper.

ASATKat and beagle like this.
  11. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Tele-Afflicted

DI & mic bass...sometimes just DI for bass. Guitar almost 100% micing guitar cabs...occasionally, I’ll DI...most recently on a 12 string. Quality mics on quality cabs just rule for me. Assuming good playing is taking place. Get it right at the mic and everything else falls into place.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.