Direct Input Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Worship Service Players' started by ScottLeon, May 5, 2014.

1. ScottLeon

ScottLeon TDPRI Member

Greetings all; new to the forum but not new to worship guitar. I am our church's praise band's sole guitarist (another thread for another time), & I play 99.9% rhythm -- still building my skill set. I play an acoustic 12-string & an electric, depending on what I think the song calls for. My question is when I play acoustic, I run directly into the sound board, but when I play electric, I play through a (cheap) solid state amp that is mic'd & run into the board. I've had this set up since I got my electric almost two years ago, but I'm rethinking. I have a couple of pedals -- tuner & delay -- right now, but mostly run the 12-string through those since my amp has effects built-in -- not to mention the delay causes buzzing that may be due to the pedal/amp interaction, or power issues.:mad:

My question is whether there might be a better way to do this. Is there a way I can run both guitars into the same device, using the same pedals & cable, into the system, but that would still allow the potential for adding some effects? I know the solution is out there; what would you recommend & what are some things I should think about if I go this path? Part of the reason for using the amp with the electric is that it serves as a monitor for the guitar, since I do not have the capability to hear it through the mix in the monitors. Thanks!

2. davidchagrin

davidchagrin Tele-Holic

Maybe try a multi fx pedal with DI out, like something from Zoom. You could have separate settings for each instrument (and them some), and run the line out to your amp to use as a monitor.

3. dntfeartherevrb

dntfeartherevrb Tele-Meister

I'm pretty sure there are A/B boxes that are made to select between two guitars. So the setup would be: both guitars > A/B box > pedalboard > amp.

4. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

Can you hear your acoustic guitar through the monitors? There is no reason your sound man can't put your electric in the monitors regardless of whether your amp is mic'd or you are running it DI to the board. I've personally never been a fan of electric guitar into a DI straight to the board. If you can run an amp and mic it, I would continue to do so. I would spend money improving your amp and effects before I would throw away money on multi effect floor units. We have a couple of youth players that play units like floor PODs etc from Line 6 and Zoom. They sound truly awful, at least to my ear.

It sounds like you already have some effects, so you could try them into a DI amp simulator like a Tech 21 SansAmp. Radial also makes one, and I'm sure there are others. Some guys use them at practice etc, so they don't have to pack an amp. Everyone that I know leaves them at home on Sunday morning, and they haul their amps in to play. There are some great sounding small amps out there for not a lot of $. Check out Craigslist in your area. You can pick up used Blues Juniors for $200-$300. Another sleeper amp is the VHT Special 6, which can be had new at guitar center for around $200. A Tech 21 Sansamp is around $200 new I think. Food for thought.

5. bikeracr

bikeracr Tele-Meister

So I am not much of a fan of multiFx units., but there are other ways. I am assuming that you have some sort of monitor (wedge or IEM).

There are A/B boxes that let you switch between instruments. Try Voodoo Labs or Radial. You can run your acoustic signal out of the A/B box & into a DI to the board. For your electric signal, you could continue to mic the amp or use a Sansamp amp simulator.

Your signal flow would be

Acoustic -> A/B -> effects (including Sansamp) -> DI -> soundboard
    Electric -> A/B -> effects (including Sansamp) -> DI -> soundboard

You would have the Sansamp off for acoustic & on for electric.

Radial & Lehe also makes some boxes with multiple ins & outs.

6. kiesshauer

kiesshauer TDPRI Member

+1 on some kind of A/B box -- I would totally check out this1smyne -- http://this1smyne.com/. Dude makes all sorts of custom boxes that do just about anything you can think of, and does it all at a reasonable price.

7. ScottLeon

ScottLeon TDPRI Member

Thanks for the replies (so far). To clarify, here's what I'm doing, two different paths:
    Acoustic --> pedals --> soundboard
    Electric --> amp --> mic --> soundboard​

The "return" is a Hot Spot monitor (shared among bassist, drummer, & myself) that is a blend of singers, keyboard, guitar, & drums (bass is not mic'd) from the soundboard, controlled by our sound guy. He controls the monitor levels & "house" sound.

The current setup is workable, but we have a small area for the team, & trying to cut down on my real estate needs & cables. We have other issues sound system-wise, but one works on what one can.

I saw Phil Keaggy perform at at local church & he was running his acoustic & an electric through his effects with the same cable, directly into the house system w/o an amp (he only played electric on a couple of songs). A friend plays at that church & he runs through a Line 6 w/o an amp.

Yes, I am thinking/dreaming about upgrading the amp & other pedals, but my playing is limited to church at this point, & cash is short/directed at greater priorities. I wanted to see what others think, & perhaps formulate a plan.

8. black_doug

black_doug Tele-Afflicted

I would go with an A/B box into a Tech 21 Blonde pedal into the PA. Connect both guitars to the A/B box.

Using the Line 6 in place of the Blonde gives you more options but makes your life more complicated as well.

9. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Tele-Holic

silly question and probably a little off on a tangent ...

do you really need to play acoustic guitar? because if not, that would solve your problem of real estate & cable needs. maybe the need for a complex setup, too.

but if you really must, I agree with the "A/B" -> Tech 21 -> PA setup.

10. black_doug

black_doug Tele-Afflicted

I see that Tech 21 now has the "Blonde Deluxe" which can have two guitars plugged in, eliminating the need for an A/B box.

11. rokdog49

rokdog49 Friend of Leo's

+1
    Both myself and the other guitarist in our band use one. You can plug two guitars in it, an electric and an acoustic or two electrics or two acoustics. It gives you lots of cleans and OD options as well.

12. dntfeartherevrb

dntfeartherevrb Tele-Meister

Another thought here. If cash is super tight you could consider something like a behringer gdi21. It is fairly inexpensive and is supposed to emulate an amp. I believe it would be a less expensive alternative to the tech 21 even if it wouldn't be quite as nice as the tech 21 I have had pretty good luck with the behringer pedals I have used.

13. rdo1708

rdo1708 Tele-Holic

I have the GDI21. It is a direct clone of the Tech21 pedal. It does okay on the tweed setting for running direct. It's decent.

14. rokdog49

rokdog49 Friend of Leo's

It's not the same as the Tech 21 Blonde Deluxe Private Stock which can handle two guitars and has six available settings per guitar or six for one.

15. rdo1708

rdo1708 Tele-Holic

No. It's a direct clone of the Tech21 Sansamp with the 3 amp models.

The character series (blonde, british, Oxford, Liverpool, etc) is a world above anything else IMO.

From everything I've heard, the character series sounds 100 times better than the sansamp series.

16. pete-strych

pete-strych Tele-Holic

Joyo AC Tone is killer (clone almost of the Tech 21 Liverpool) for like 40 bucks. Nails the Vox AC 30 tone!!! Great for direct recording or live.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.