1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Direct Drive Esquire

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Rob DiStefano, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

the body is a slightly beat up gfs paulownia, the used and abused neck came from a standard squier that i L&C'd and renutted with buffalo horn, the pickup is/was a dead fender custom shop tele that i rewound for fatter tones, the bridge is a wilk comp and the strings are ghs nickel 11-50.

is the tone any different if a vol pot was wired in? YES. very noticeable. a vol pot sucks off some measure of treble and "presence" to ground.

could this be an "only guitar"? hail no! GOT to have a kick-arse twin engined tele first and foremost!

2. fezz parka

fezz parka ---------------------------

I have one position on the switch as a full blow. Very noticeable difference that you can actually hear.

3. kencole

kencole TDPRI Member

Very cool guitar!! The guys I jam with are always asking me why I bother to put a volume control on my guitars. I usually just turn the volume wide open crank the CUBE to metal stack and let her rip. But seriously I just finished a project with one p-90 a 250k pot a 500k pot and an .047 cap and am amazed at the variance in tone I can get out of it.

4. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    It looks really cool, but I have to have a volume knob at the very least.

5. whodatpat

whodatpat Friend of Leo's

Build your Champ without a volume knob and keep the one on your Tele. :p

6. whodatpat

whodatpat Friend of Leo's

I may wire my Fivecaster that way! Great idea.

7. middy

middy Friend of Leo's

How about "This Space for Rent" or "This Plate Intentionally Left Blank"? :lol:

This is how my P bass is wired. Custom Warmoth celluloid tortoise pickguard with no control holes and a Dimarzio Model P wired straight to the jack. Tuner pedal for mute.

8. hartwell

hartwell TDPRI Member

Last time I saw Wilco, Tweedy and Nils both had the switches, tone and volume pots on their teles buried under the plate. I realize that they have presets for many of their guitars and amp setups but I thought it was interesting that they only did it for the teles.

I had an old tele that was incredibly beat up when I got it - the controls were broken off and bashed down into the plate. The neck pickup was missing but the bridge pickup and output jacked worked. Being the self-respecting punk I was, I left it as it was. I still think about that guitar and how much fun it was to just bash away without a care of changing pickups/volume and tone by mistake.

9. appar111

appar111 Friend of Leo's

For this type of guitar with no volume knob, do you play it clean, or with a medium amount of dirt, or alot of gain?

I tend to play alot of rock with a fairly high amount of gain & distortion. I'd imagine you'd have to have a kill switch on the floor or something to use it in higher gain situations.

Makin' me want to see what the Dimarzio Pre B-1 in ol' faithful would sound like wired to the jack!

10. appar111

appar111 Friend of Leo's

Now that sounds like a cool idea!

11. fezz parka

fezz parka ---------------------------

For the way I play, the volume knob is essential. The cool thing about the full blow position is that you can still kill the signal with the knob when it grounds out. With a little practice, you can do some cool stutter effects with the knob. I use it for some Morello type scratching.

12. Rob DiStefano

i play into a one knob amp - li'l dawg champster special, one input, one volume knob, dat's it. i set the amp's volume to about 3/4's and the rest is controlled via the fingers - strong attack yield's overdrive, lighter picking really cleans it up, right hand dampening for chunking out rhythm chords. it's really a fun thing going knobless.

13. appar111

appar111 Friend of Leo's

I love simplicity like that... I'd love to get a one-knob tweed amp, maybe a 1-knob boost and a guitar w/ just a bridge pickup and a volume knob. I use the volume knob too much to clean things up-- with the stuff I play it'd be real hard to do that with just the attack on the strings.

Still, it makes me want to change my playing style to accomodate a more pure setup like yours, Rob!

14. celeste

celeste Friend of Leo's

15. mellecaster

mellecaster Former Member

I reckon Rob beat me to it, cause mines still in the Building Stage...Tommy @ USACG did the Body...I'm gonna call it the "Ultimate Esquire"...Stay tuned.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

There's the key right there. Very few guitars will work as an only guitar, even if you want just one guitar. But very few of us on TDPRI limit ourselves to one guitar. Thang is cool. :cool:

17. es125tcd

es125tcd TDPRI Member

straight to the amp- played my " elmsquire " like that for about 6 months, before I got the time to do the wiring the right way- straight through the amp KILLS for blues tones through an old tube amp ( ran this through an old 1959 airline w 2 6v6's ...magic) pup is a tonerider hot classics bridge pup 10.2 k on my meter.

18. Rob DiStefano

oh no, not in my book. to each their own and imho most any decent tele can do it ALL, from classical fingerstyle to heavy metal and *everything* in between.

my main tele uses my own single coil pups (tele bridge and strat neck), dummy slug coils, master volume, master no-load tone, 4-way pup switch. simple wiring and lots of versatility.

19. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

If you really needed a volume control, you could just use a volume pedal. That's how I control my rig most of the time.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.