1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Direct Box

Discussion in 'Burnt Fingers DIY Effects' started by FosterF, Apr 29, 2012.

1. FosterF

FosterF Tele-Meister

Does anybody have a schematic for a DI box? I'm wanting to build a two in one DI (one mono for acoustic and the other stereo for click/loops) anybody?
    Thanks,
    -Foster

2. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

Balanced outputs?
    Isolation?
    Passive?
    Active?
    Equalization?

There are many ways to go.

3. FosterF

FosterF Tele-Meister

Balanced outputs. Preferably isolated. Passive or at least be able to run on phantom. And no equalization. Just ground lift.
    OR whatever you think would be best for these two applications!

4. FenderLover

Isolation requires a transformer. They are pretty specialized and therefore expensive, but easy to use. The Jensen schematic requires a line level input because the transformer is basically a short to a guitar signal. While it is passive, the buffer circuits is not. It can be your choice, either a stand alone op amp circuit or a bypassed guitar pedal (that is not true bypass, like Boss).

If you want to avoid the transformer, the output side of the Celtic schematic is a method for balanced output. For stereo, or dual mono, it's just more buffer circuits.

Gyraf and AMZ are an examples of simple buffer circuits. 1-4 op amps in parallel make good buffers depending how long your cables are.

I don't recall anything phantom powered, but running an op amp from a 12V or 15V zener in series with a resistor may work well. Some say that method is too noisy, but op amps have terrific CMRR specifications that have never caused alarm to me.
    AMZ_SuperBuffer.gif

View attachment Jensen DI.pdf

Splitter.jpg

Celtic_DI.jpg

5. FosterF

FosterF Tele-Meister

The Celtic schematic looks promising! What would I need to change in order to make it stereo inputs that wouldn't have any bleed over?

6. FenderLover

Your simply build two of them. One right, one left.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.