'Dipping the toe' back into the murky quagmire of small-town open mic's.

John Backlund

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
That Beatles tune is tricky. The way they use common chords fascinates me. I very frequently “use the force” when playing this tune: I know the chords but can’t think them, I have to just feel them! Otherwise, I screw it up. But you will not! I am glad you are doing it, and all of the others! As somebody here says, ”play music.”

It's the only Beatles song I do, but I've always liked it. I play the entire guitar accompaniment chords fingerstyle (as I do every song I do).

'64 Tele

Tele-Afflicted
Pic from my only dip into the world of open mic night. We didn't get to play on the stage, were allowed to play on the dance floor, were joined (mid song) by conga player (actually worked well). First time in front of a crowd in nearly 30 years, first time playing with old band mate (acoustic player) in over 40 years. Fun, but terrifying. Survived it by the grace of St. Jameson.
1651838904395.png

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I'm gassing up the Gulfstream. My team will fly into town and purchase the building across the street from said Igloo. Then turn it into a combination world-class recording studio and vomitorium. Edgemont will become the Hollywood of SoDak. And the locals will despise us like the opulent vermin we are. Hee hee!!!

Actually, Bruce Willis did something similar in Hailey, Idaho a couple decades ago - about the time his "Bruno" records were released. He bought a dumpy old gin joint and hired the best sidemen money could buy and then billed himself as a "bluesman." Like TDPRI Johnny meets Johnny Depp (without the Amber Turd stink).

John Backlund

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
What time do you start?
Apparently Google maps says I can be there in 22:07 if I don’t pee and my truck don’t drink.

4:00 PM- 7:00 PM (mtn).

It's a Sunday, so they'll be unrolling the sidewalk special for this 'event', but hitting the sack early is almost mandatory on Sundays in those parts. Come early Monday morning, there's fencing to be repaired, new calves to be tended to, and hay bales to be hefted.

haggardfan1

Friend of Leo's
What time do you start?
Apparently Google maps says I can be there in 22:07 if I don’t pee and my truck don’t drink.
Google Maps says my drive one way is 1,164 miles. Otherwise I'd sure show up to cheer you on John.

Your other thread was upsetting...I'm glad you're taking another run at it.

I had a similar experience at my ex-girlfriend's family reunion some years ago. There was a huge PA set up ,and several good bands playing. I was supposed to play but didn't know when, or who with. It was unnerving, hot as hell and my Tele stayed in the truck cab for several hours before I played. I've never played a guitar that out of tune in my life, before or since--and I was completely mortified.

But it didn't stop me from playing out again after that. 😉

Don't worry about any mess ups....if this was easy, everybody would be doin' it. 😀

Last edited:

John Backlund

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Hey! What happened at the Edgemont event? How was it?

In absolute ineptitude, I surpassed even my own expectations, but for such a small, out-of-the-way 'venue', it was surprisingly well-attended by a number of players, some of semi-professional capabilities...some, just plain weird, but I mean that in a good way.

It's a 180 mile round-trip trek for me to go down there, but I may give it another shot.

Here's a photo I took of some players there, the woman on the left is 'Angel', who hosts the open mic. She lives near Edgemont.

IMG_20220508_181701838.jpg

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
In absolute ineptitude, I surpassed even my own expectations, but for such a small, out-of-the-way 'venue', it was surprisingly well-attended by a number of players, some of semi-professional capabilities...some, just plain weird, but I mean that in a good way.

It's a 180 mile round-trip trek for me to go down there, but I may give it another shot.

Here's a photo I took of some players there, the woman on the left is 'Angel', who hosts the open mic. She lives near Edgemont.

View attachment 985661
At first, I thought, I don't think Hank done it thisaway, then I thought he just might have! Good for you, hitch your wagon to a star, you're on your way..