1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Dipole Electric Mandolin

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Ripthorn, Nov 18, 2020.

1. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Friend of Leo's

After several hours of carving with gouges and scrapers, refining with sandpaper, and just overall doing a bunch of stuff, the top carve is done, as is the neck carve. Mandolins typically have a V profile to the neck, so I went with an asymmetrical soft V for fun. After sanding everything up, I gave everything one coat of finish. I do this to highlight any areas that may need further work. Also, it will seal against the super glue that I will use for binding on the body so I don't get any discoloration there. It also serves as a sealer coat in general, and both the mango and walnut on the body will get grain filler. The neck will be oil and wax and thus no grain filler.

I have also started to bend the binding. I started with the hardest part, which is on the inside of the upper "horn", which has a very tight radius. Bending that took a lot of time, heat, and water. Hopefully I'll get it installed tomorrow. On the whole, I'm stoked about it all. Still need to figure out the headstock binding situation, whether to do it or not. I planned to, but bending/binding around the ears is a little puzzling, since they are neither super sharp nor round enough to just bend the wood around...\

Anyway, you don't care about that. You want pictures!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

Looks like you could bind that headstock by "mitering" the binding. It is typically done on F style mandolins on the body points but you have none but you DO have that headstock ;)

Dave

3. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Friend of Leo's

I'm mitering the body binding, my concern is that the headstock ears are rounded too much for a miter and to little for a continuous bend...

crazydave911 likes this.
  4. crazydave911

You could bend the neck end and miter the tip? Depends on binding material????

5. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Friend of Leo's

So I got the binding on today. It wasn't perfect, but it turned out pretty good. There were a couple of spots that pulled away, resulting in thinner binding.

[​IMG]

I also fretted the neck and did some more with the finish. Still need to wind the pickup and route for it, make the bridge and drill for it, route the control cavity and drill for jack, but it's really coming along.

[​IMG]

I'm thinking I will pass on headstock binding this go round. The curly maple was rather finicky and I just don't think it's a necessary risk at this point.

6. crazydave911

Curly maple? Don't blame you but I was once that good :(. I just hate that mango doesn't show the curves I KNOW are there :confused:

Dave

7. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Friend of Leo's

Well, one spot was a little too thin on the binding. I sanded it at an angle, apparently. So I got up extra early, carefully chiseled away the old binding, and glued in a new piece. I'll flush it up after work and hopefully I can go on my merry way. Then it's time to start working on the bridge!

crazydave911 likes this.
  8. crazydave911

I'm quite looking forward to the the tone of this beast :D

9. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Friend of Leo's

I successfully replaced the binding that was terrible. It looks much better. Now I just need some supplies that I ordered over the weekend. Then I will mill the bridge and wind the pickup.

Digital Larry and crazydave911 like this.
  10. crazydave911

Cool :cool:

11. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Friend of Leo's

I got my parts in and was able to continue working. First up, making the actual bridge. My design only needed one small tweak so that the saddles sat up a little higher, but other than that, it looked fantastic. First, I milled the saddle recesses and the inner loop. To mill the outer profile, I have very little clamping area, so a couple of screws with washers were used to provide some extra clamping force:

[​IMG]

Then, after it was all milled, I'm left with this:

[​IMG]

I'm rather pleased with it at this point. It is now fully functional, but I need to do some clean up and sanding to prep it for plating. The prep is going to be a lot of work to get it just so, but it will be worth it. I can now also drill for bridge studs. Once that's done, I can get all the measurements I need to whip up a pickup and route the control cavity/drill for the jack. Those are the last operations before gluing in the neck and finishing. Hopefully this will just need final finishing by the time my Christmas break is up.

12. crazydave911

I'm a little curious about the saddles fitting that and holding two strings but hey :). Also, what kind of pickup? A rail type would work well heck, I rewound a Teisco and molded a new outside :lol: but like a lipstick, it worked well. Just a alnico 2 from a humbucker wound with #43 formvar lol. With the Samick SC cover and a little epoxy, my Bill Lawrence act was complete :lol:
    Really eager to see the details and BTW, if you wind it 6k or below a volume should be enough but YMMV :D

Dave

13. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Friend of Leo's

Hey Dave, the saddles are standard tune o matic saddles without notches. The string holes in the bridge are spaces 3 mm apart for each course.

For the pickup, I'm going to go strat style but with a P90- ish cover so that it has the soap bar look. I'm shooting for about 5.5k on the pickup.

crazydave911 likes this.
  14. crazydave911

I have actually wound Strat style that way (was proud until China stole the idea for cheapies) unlike them I used the full bar each side of steel poles. You may have to cut them shorter but the sound IMO is worth it. And no not a P90 sound or a Strat, something unique. Guy I got the idea from called 'em S90s :lol:

Dave

15. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Friend of Leo's

I have one Rob wound for me .He put gold foil guts in a P90 cover calls it a G90

crazydave911 likes this.
  16. crazydave911

Rob is a VERY inventive and generous man :D

17. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Friend of Leo's

Well, I bought a bunch of rod magnets, so I'm going to put them to use on this guy. I had some scrap curly maple that became the flatwork. I'll make a nice curly maple cover and mount this like a soapbar, part of the reason I went with this construction. Hopefully I will get it wound this weekend.

[​IMG]

18. crazydave911

I love curly maple but then again the masochist in me does Ricky style headstocks shaped like a Snakehead too :lol:

19. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Friend of Leo's

I got the pickup wound, potted, soldered, wrapped, and magnetized today. Now it needs a curly maple cover. I also routed the control cavity and drilled for the barrel jack.

Next up is a control cavity cover, pickup cover, and routing for the pickup.

crazydave911 likes this.
  20. crazydave911

What gage wire and ohm value? Also alnico what flavor? Just curious

Dave

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.