1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Dipole Electric Mandolin

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Ripthorn, Nov 18, 2020.

1. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Friend of Leo's

It's a little bit thicker. Clocks in around 0.29" at the center. Also, because it is so narrow, it's not nearly as thin at the edges as a guitar. Those combine for a thick look.

Fretting out and crazydave911 like this.
  2. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

I have no idea of your ability but when it comes playing time for us ( and you know you want to lol) I'd recommend pulling at random any Rosa Stringworks video. In the links are a link to his lessons and even does some in his mando builds for free. His method is brilliantly simple including the old Nashville Number System I was taught back when I was a child. I dearly wish I'd had this when I started mandolin, I might actually be good :lol:

Later

Dave

3. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Friend of Leo's

Thanks for the tip, Dave! Yeah, I haven't even given a thought to learning yet, as I have no instrument... yet. We'll see how it goes!

crazydave911 likes this.
  4. crazydave911

Tuned just like a fiddle without that nasty bow lmao

5. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I've watched a few of their build videos recently as well as another fellow who makes them. Interesting stuff.

crazydave911 likes this.
  6. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

I'm watching and enjoying this a lot. Some years ago I built a mandolin, one forth the size of a guitar and four times as much work. Never got much beyond some chords and some simple leads, but I find that when I'm traveling I take it along.

Your comments on protecting the maple binding is something I've dealt with on almost all of my guitars. I frequently use maple perfling or other accents and they just seem to soak up color from other wood or staining. I coat all the maple now with vinyl sealer and then scrape back after staining - kind of the PRS faux binding approach. It makes me appreciate seeing a fine clean line on another maker's instrument - I know how hard it is.

crazydave911 likes this.
  7. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Friend of Leo's

I went with water based on the maple because I'm wanting to keep the maple as light as possible to contrast with the walnut and mango.

crazydave911 likes this.
  8. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Friend of Leo's

A quick little wipe with naphtha on the neck shows us what we will be dealing with once it gets carved. I'm pretty stoked.

[​IMG]

As for the bridge, I have designed my own that I will machine out of brass and nickel plate. I'm hoping to proof it in aluminum today, just to make sure I have everything right.

Also, I have glued up two test tops from pine so I can test what it would look like with a beveled body vs a shallow top carve. Hope to have that all decided soon so I can glue up the body and top and get going there. Looks like with my bridge and neck I will need about 2.5 degrees of neck angle.

crazydave911 and Jim_in_PA like this.
  9. crazydave911

I'd advised carved but that's me

10. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Friend of Leo's

If like to, Dave, but I'll only have about 1/4" depth to work with so I don't carve through the mango. It's about .3" thick is all.

crazydave911 likes this.
  11. crazydave911

Oh well :oops:

12. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Friend of Leo's

I ended up doing more house stuff today than i anticipated, but I got my aluminum prototype of the bridge milled out. Now I need saddles and saddle screws to test it out. Waiting to see if Philadelphia Luthier Tools has a black friday coupon code, as I need to get some other stuff from there as well. I'm rather pleased with how it's looking!

[​IMG]

13. mefgames

mefgames Friend of Leo's Double Platinum Supporter

Possibly this,

iu-1.jpeg

One of my all time favorites. Looking forward to seeing this finished, as I am with all your builds.

Jim_in_PA likes this.
  14. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Friend of Leo's

Yep, the upper horn was the inspiration, the offset body comes from one of my designs i built about 10 years ago, and other elements are also variations on a theme.

crazydave911 likes this.
  15. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

That bridge really suits the whole design very nicely!

crazydave911 likes this.
  16. crazydave911

You may need longer screws but on my tenor I used Jaguar bridge saddles. They are just big enough to take a string each side of the screw. Using only 4 I also used one for the melody string of my Cittern. It uses two .010s and worked well :D

Dave

17. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Friend of Leo's

I hadn't thought of that. I'm planning to use tune o matic saddles for this, but I need some to verify fit before I mill the brass.

crazydave911 likes this.
  18. Maricopa

Maricopa Friend of Leo's

Nice work, love the shape and wood choices!

crazydave911 likes this.
  19. crazydave911

Yes, when it comes to the small and wonderful, Tom's loss and Moongazer music is hard felt. Anything from an electric uke to a 10 string Cittern he had or could get made parts for it. I needed a wider than normal and 8 string bridge for my tenor and ham hands. He custom made one for a $10 upcharge. Even in 2011 that was unheard of :(

Dave

20. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Friend of Leo's

Sorry for the silence the last couple days. I used some pine I had kicking around to do a test carved top with a 0.3" carve depth. For the size of the body, I think it should work quite well.

[​IMG]

So I take the walnut and mango thusly:

[​IMG]

Put it in some clamps, give it a little hit with the router, and we have this:

[​IMG]

Since that photo was taken, I've done the rough in carving with my gouges and am working on it with the RO sander. Still a ways to go before I'm completely happy with it, but I'm quite liking how it's coming along. This mango, however, has some gnarly interlocking grain and has a hard spot right in the most difficult parts of the carve. Slow and steady and constant touching up of the gouges and it's coming along. Hopefully I'll get it all squared away soon so I can show it off properly :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.