1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Dip Switch Tone Control Bypass

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by dguitar3, Aug 7, 2018.

1. dguitar3

dguitar3 Tele-Holic

Im sure this is possible. Just wondering if there’s anywhere I can seena schematic. I’m interested in being able to using a dip switch to disconnect my neck pickup from the tone control. I roll off the tone on the neck a bit for jazz so I still need the ability to use it if needed, but most of the time it’s wide open for the neck and rolled off for the bridge. I do a move when I switch to the bridge to roll it off but it would be nice not to have to do that, as I switch them around a lot. Any help would be appreciated!

2. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

EDIT: ignore this, and see the solution a few posts down.

You can't easily do what you're asking. The problem is that with the simple stock Tele wiring, the tone is global, common to both pickups. Here's a diagram to cut the tone with a switch, but it affects both neck and bridge. Still possibly useful, because you can leave the tone pot rolled back. Problem of course is that you need to switch to neck, and also switch off tone.

Screen Shot 2018-08-07 at 2.20.46 AM.png

You can definitely do it with a 5-way super switch, but that seems overkill to me.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
  3. Ebidis

Ebidis Tele-Afflicted

It is absolutely possible to use a switch to bypass the tone circuit.

I'm not sure where you can find a schematic.

4. moosie

To bypass only the tone only for neck? Let's see one.

5. Ebidis

Ebidis Tele-Afflicted

You could just wire the neck pickup without the tone control altogether.

6. moosie

But.... that's not what he asked for. He wants bridge to always have tone, and neck to have it sometimes. And other times, doesn't want to have to touch the bridge's tone setting (roll it up) to get to wide open neck.

7. PigBoy

PigBoy Tele-Meister

Could always go with concentric knobs.

Ebidis and moosie like this.
  8. Ebidis

Ebidis Tele-Afflicted

Where, in what sentence, did I say only for neck?

However, that could be done.

Simply wire the neck pickup to a switch, with one position having the tone pot in the circuit, and the other position bypassing the tone circuit. If only the neck pickup is wired to the switch, then it will work on only the neck.

It's not really difficult, but as I said, I don't know where to find schematics.

9. moosie

The OP said only for neck.

10. AAT65

AAT65 Poster Extraordinaire

Yes and it’s quite simple. You only need a SPDT to do it.
    Tone control to the centre tag - one side goes to the volume control / switch output (with that side selected the tone affects all switch positions) - other side goes to the bridge pickup hot where it comes to the switch (with that side selected the tone only affects bridge pickup and middle position, but not neck-only position).

moosie and Ebidis like this.
  11. tessting1two

tessting1two Tele-Holic

With a SPDT (or one half of a DPDT) switch you should be able to wire the input lug of the pot to the center (common) lug of the switch and then run a wire from the lower lug (switch down) to the bridge pickup lug of the 3-way and another wire from the upper lug (switch up) to the neck pickup lug of the 3-way. Then with the push/pull down, the tone only affects the bridge pickup and when pulled up it only affects the neck pickup.

This is a crude drawing showing the 6 lugs of a DPDT switch as you'd find on a push/pull pot:

[​IMG]

You could also consider a 4-way switch, where position 1 is neck-no tone and positions 2,3,4 are normal tele wiring.

moosie likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.