Dinner ?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Bones, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

Vegetable Madras curry- eight vegetables in a lentil and chick pea sauce, plus onion and cucumber raita, with naan bread and pickle on the side.

I made the curry yesterday. This one always tastes better after it's been left to rest. ;)

(The vegetables were....onion, potato, parsnip, red pepper, mushrooms, carrot, tomato and celery.)

2. MarkieMark

MarkieMark Tele-Holic

Ok, ok.
    I need a good turnip recipe to experiment with.

Any ideas?

3. Anita Bonghit

Anita Bonghit Tele-Meister

Shrimp Po Boy Tacos

4. tlsmack

tlsmack Tele-Afflicted

You dun threw a hankerin' on me!! I have not had a good roasted turnip in years!!! Are we talking little purple tops or big ol' rutabagas?

5. MarkieMark

MarkieMark Tele-Holic

Purple tops.
    I roasted them last time. Simple, cubed, little drizzle of olive oil and sea salt.

Got an itch to try something different this time.

6. tlsmack

tlsmack Tele-Afflicted

I love to sneak some purple tops into the mashed potatoes and see how people react:)!!!

7. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Wow, a cook too. I have never attempted Indian food even though I love it. That looks like a good one to try.

8. suave eddie

suave eddie Tele-Afflicted

3 hours at what temp?

9. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

To keep the Balance of the Zen, I did not have that for dinner.

Torren61 likes this.
  10. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

I made a PBJ sandwich

Torren61 likes this.
  11. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I thought you meant Heston Blumenthal's Dinner in London. I've eaten there. Loved it. $750 for two and worth every penny.

https://www.dinnerbyheston.co.uk/about

Tonight, it's elk stew meat cooked with onions and jalapenos and served over German noodles.

Obsessed likes this.
  12. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

My kinda meal. I'd take that over anything at Blumenthal's. Well, except for the beverages.
    Okay and maybe the appetizers.
    Well ... how is their Cesar salad?:D

Torren61 likes this.
  13. Chick-N-Picker

Chick-N-Picker Friend of Leo's

As long as they had tasty seasoning and you got those ribs up to an internal temp of 195 to 205 over 3 to 4 hours then they would be delicious. I can cook some pretty tasty ribs. Either in the oven or on the grill. I typically braise my rack of ribs, with one of 2 braising liquids. And, yes, I do have a special ingredient in my rub mix.

Ingredients:
    2 racks of baby back ribs

Rub Mix:
    8 tablespoons light brown sugar
    2 tablespoons kosher salt
    1 tablespoon chili powder
    1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1/2 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
    1/2 teaspoon onion powder
    *special ingredient*
    1/4 teaspoon of monosodium glutamate

Now you can choose either of these braising liquids for both racks or cut in half and do one rack with one and one with the other. I just go with wjat I feel. You will be reducing to a glaze later so keep that in mind.

Braising Liquid:
    #1:
    1 cup white wine
    2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
    2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
    1 tablespoons honey
    2 cloves garlic, chopped or 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder

1 cup chicken broth or pork.
    3 tablespoons applecider vinegar
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    1 tablespoons honey
    2 cloves garlic, chopped or 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder

Preheat oven to 250. Mix all rub ingredients together. Take 2 pieces heavy duty extra wide aluminum foil longer than the ribs. Lay one rack per piece of foil. Put the rub on real good. Trasfer to the refrigerator for 1 to 2 hours. Mix and heat up your braising liquid(s) in the microwave for 30 seconds. It just helps the honey disolve. It's not a required step. Now remove and fold the foil over the ribs but leave one end open to pour your choice of braising liquid into. Now finish folding up the foil. Make sure no liquid or air can get out. Put in the over for 4 to 4.5 hours OR until the thickest part of the ribs reach 195 to 205. Ribs are a fatty, connective meat and need to be raised to high temp slowly to break down all the fat, and connective tissue. If your tried this with say, pork loin, then welcome to dry-ville. Pork loin should reach about 150 to 155 and have a little pink.

Ok, once internal temp is correct remove the ribs from the oven and get you a little pot or sauce pan. Cut or clip the foil and let all the juice run into the pot. Keep the ribs wrapped to keep warm. Now THIS is important. If you are using the braising liquid with wine you need to cut the burner on low and slowly reduce until a glaze happens. If you try to raise the burner high and reduce fast the wine will produce some not so great flavors. Adding about 1/2 another tablespoon of honey now will help it if you want. If you are using the braising liquid with broth, then cut the burner and reduce as fast as you want, with the optional 1/2 tablespoon of honey. Either braising liquid will leave with a delicious lip smacking glaze.

Now cut your broiler on. Brush some of the glaze on the ribs and put under the broiler until it carmelizes, maybe 1 to 2 minutes but watch it closely or it will burn. Now take the ribs out and cut into the rib portions and pour the rest of the glaze all over the ribs. Eat you son of b.

CJM3309 and P Thought like this.
  14. hotpot

hotpot Tele-Afflicted

I made a batch of home made chicken & vegetable soup yesterday, I saved two servings with dumplings for lunch for my missus & myself and put the remainder in containers to freeze for next weeks lunches.
    I also made a cottage pie for tea.

[​IMG]

MattyK-USA and trev333 like this.
  15. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

yumm, extra points for the beetroot...;)

hotpot and Tonetele like this.
  16. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Trev , my Mum came from the Ukraine and that's how she taught me to cook potato slices. Less fat than chips dipped ( soaked) in oil. That's how they do fries in Europe. Good one Mate!:)

trev333 likes this.
  17. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

My old mate Moorey who shared a few houses with me down the coast used to do them under the overhead griller..

he'd get home from the pub hungry and drunk, slice a few spuds and slide them under the griller until they were near black, flip them over char the other sides and that was our late night snack..

Moorey!!! the spuds are burning... you turn them... no, you turn them ... somebody turn them... before the smoke alarm goes off...:lol:

every time I cook spuds this way, I think of those times...:D

18. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I cooked 'em like your photo for an "Ausssie" guy whom I shared a house with when I worked in Ceduna.
    Come to think of it all the men in my family do /did the cooking. Always have. So, no truth about the bombastic German , at least not in my family, or any of the settlers I know of. We're more like he Amish but with a beer or wine.
    He'd never seen them cooked that way before. Only last night I was telling the Italian lady who serves me ( she was eating artichokes) and potatoes and I told her my style ( like yours) of cookin' them.

19. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

first hour at 250 then I bump it to 350. I cook them on a wire rack over a shallow pan with a little water in it, with chunks of onion and garlic on the rack as well. The whole thing is loosely tented with foil and then at the end I give them about 7 minutes under the broiler, uncovered after the sauce has been added. Quick, easy and quite delicious.

boris bubbanov and suave eddie like this.
  20. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I hate to say this, but we've kind of cut back on dinner.

Maybe just a small portion of pasta, with romano and marinara and some butter and herbs. Or maybe just canned soup, crackers and an apple or two.

I was cooking big portions of chicken or fish, to share with Daisy. Now she's gone, and the fun is sort of out of cooking at day's end. Rather eat something at lunch.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.