Dining in my hotel room - tactics?

Old Verle Miller

Tele-Meister
If you have a microwave and can boil water in something, google Mountain House meals and pick what you like. Each one is enough for two meals unless you're burning tons of calories every day.

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
I travel for work regularly and in some places it it difficult to find good options.

I hear ya. Pre-pandemic my wife and I were both contract consultants with road gigs. It's sometimes miserably difficult to find any hand-held quick foods that aren't comprised of sugar, salt, and fat.

Don't buy anything in the airport except bottled water.

In New York State they just passed a law that foods sold in airports cannot be priced more than 10% above the average market price. The law has provisions for monitoring and robust enforcement. It all started with someone's post or article about paying $28 USD for a beer in an airport.

BYOC (bring your own coffee).
You can pre-grind and put in a baggie.

An Aeropress will get you in the neighborhood of espresso, but more like an Italian moka. I generally buy and grind espresso beans when I get where I'm going, though it's hard to find truly good beans on the road.

At the airport, a sure way to get your roller bag pulled off the conveyor, then opened and inspected, is to have a bag or brick of coffee in it. It scans as a package of dense, impenetrable, mystery substance.

MisterZ

Tele-Afflicted
When I was a road warrior, I'd make a habit of going to the closest minor league ball park if the team was at home. (The Birmingham Barons have a BBQ pit at the park! $5 got me 2 rows behind home plate, another five got me some excellent barbecue.) And I wasn't stuck in the hotel all the time.

KokoTele

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
When I’m traveling like that, I usually rely on take out or restaurants. Sometimes the hotel will have a snack bar or restaurant on-site, but that’s less common for hotels with conference facilities.

Where are you going? The strategy will vary widely by location and whether you’ll have access to ground transportation. City/suburban locations are usually easy. Resort/destination locations are less so, but still doable. All the people who work there need to feed themselves and their families, too.

Given the choice between dorm room food (tuna, PBJs, etc) and catered food, I’d take the catering 100% of the time.

rickthescot

Tele-Afflicted
I stay 3 nights a week in hotels. Ether get a prepackaged salad at a grocery store or go to one of 3 chain restaurants for a meal. Why chains? Easy they are predictable and consistent. I don't want to trust what some local tells me about their favorite place and risk stomach upset. This has worked for at least 10 years. Also take some melatonin with you.

Tonetele

Poster Extraordinaire
A co-worker of mine used to carry a dad fy in a match bx. After eating most of the meal he'd call a waiter over and point out said fly. Another meal Thank You.Always worked!;)

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Cereal and fruit is great, cheap, easy, and healthy.
Avocados, cut in half, salt, pepper, Tabasco if you like it, are great, and easy.
Grapes, cherries, peaches, etc.
I also like sardines, and smoked herring, but admittedly, they kinda stink.
When I was a semi-impoverished road musician, admittedly long ago, I ate that stuff in my hotel rooms all the time.
Depending on whether I had roommates, I’d take the sardines out to a nearby park and eat em’ there, leaving the tins in a trash can.