dings, dents, and scratches fix me

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by psp777, Jan 12, 2014.

1. psp777

psp777 TDPRI Member

Trying to fix a few dings dents and scratches on a guitar I recently picked up. Someone tried nail polish I think in the large dent.

I tried to steam out the dents on the maple neck but the satin finish would allow the steam to get into the wood.

3 issues:

1. Scratch and chip

2. Neck dents

3. Ding on face of guitar

Please address what you can...thanks
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. jamesgmac

jamesgmac TDPRI Member

you can try putting a small drop of warm water on the neck dents. i've had some luck with that. it won't remove them completely, but it usually makes the wood expand a little, making them less noticeable. i've also used a hair dryer on dents. the heat from it does the same thing. again it won't make them go away completely, but can help a little. good luck!

3. allen082

allen082 Friend of Leo's

Steam, moisture and heat are all bad things for a finished guitar. You're more likely to remove the finish than anything else.

You can probably buff and polish out some of the surface scratches but those dents are there for the long haul. I say let it ride. Play it and enjoy it.

4. psp777

psp777 TDPRI Member

I fixed the neck - will upload some pics when I get a chance.

Small drops of crazy glue in the dents, let harden for an hour,scrap with razor blade, wet sand 600, 800, 1000 - super smooth.

Drop filled the big ding after some dark paint...will tackle this one in the morning - will likly have to finish with car scratch polish.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.