Ding on Squier Bass VI. Easy fix?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Luis Mendo, Apr 13, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Luis Mendo

Luis Mendo TDPRI Member

I got this ding today on my Squier VM Bass VI, three-color sunburst. The ding is on the black part.

Is there a simple way fix it myself? It's in a part of the instrument where it's not very visible so I'm not too concerned about how it will look. My main concern is, if I don't do anything could the nearby black finish fall off and make the ding bigger? What have you done in the past to fix this sort
    of thing on your guitars?

In case it matters, the finish is gloss polyurethane and the body is basswood, according to Fender's web

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

IMG_1318.JPG

IMG_1319.JPG

2. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Be glad it's a Fender and not a Gibson.....that little bump would've knocked the headstock off a Gibson. ;)
    That's a "love-tap" in my book.....leave it alone and play music......

robinn and Luis Mendo like this.
  3. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

I'd swab in some super glue just to keep it from chipping any more, at least.

After that, you could fill it in with auto body glazing compound, sand, dust with black paint, then clear enamel and buff.
    It won't be invisible but less noticable.

Luis Mendo likes this.
  4. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Tele-Afflicted

5. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

I asked my guitar guy to drop some super-glue on a similar ding on my Squier... he ended up building it back up and polishing it smooth again... like a ding-under-glass. It was really kind of funny.

eallen and Luis Mendo like this.
  6. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    Cyanoacrylate glue is eminently useful

But be careful with it.

It can/will run all over creation

Shuster, getbent and Luis Mendo like this.
  7. Luis Mendo

Luis Mendo TDPRI Member

This looks like a great solution! However, I’m confused as to which specific product I need. Would the fill-n-finish black be enough, or would I need to use something else?

Thanks also to everyone for your ideas! Good to know there are several usable approaches

8. Luis Mendo

Luis Mendo TDPRI Member

Hm. Apparently Gluboost don't ship to Spain :(

9. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

Black sharpie and few tubes of super glue gel.

10. Jimmy Dean

Jimmy Dean Tele-Afflicted

Congratulations, you just got yourself a "Road Worn" model without the high price tag.

11. Luis Mendo

Luis Mendo TDPRI Member

I think I'm going to try superglue, then nail polish or paint, then car lacquer. I'll report how it turns out.

12. eallen

eallen Tele-Afflicted

I just mix black dye powder in slow cure CA glue to color, cover with clear CA, buff, enjoy.

Eric

Luis Mendo and jrblue like this.
  13. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Tele-Afflicted

At least they have some vids that show the procedure. Any medium viscosity CA glue with a little black die (India ink maybe?) should work, Gluboost has just taken it to an art form.

Luis Mendo likes this.
  14. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

DON'T USE BLACK SHARPIE!

It's not black! It has a weird blue cast - very noticeable next to a finish.

Get a black lacquer touch up marker and color in the bare spots. Then drop fill with medium super glue - slowly, in built-up coats. You will never get it smooth/even along the edges, so get as close as you can, overfill a bit if possible, and use a razor-blade scraper to even the edges as much as possible. You can look up the scraping procedure using google. Try not to do too much sanding or you'll spend endless hours trying to polish scratches out.

The gluee will hold the existing finish in place, and prevennt having sharp edges that can catch and chip.

Flakey and Luis Mendo like this.
  15. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

Eallen described what I would do. It's pretty easy to get a good match in black. While this repair is easy if you know how to handle the materials, it is easy to create a spectacularly ugly mess -- like the majority of "fixers" end up doing -- if you lack patience, skill, and judgment. And that's not a ding. It's a hack, or maybe a gash. A ding is a small dent. Good luck. It's a straightforward fix, but only if you can get the right materials and work with care.

eallen and Luis Mendo like this.
  16. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

Actually it works very well, and the repair is invisible, but I'll bow to your superior knowledge. :D

Luis Mendo and Tony474 like this.
  17. Luis Mendo

Luis Mendo TDPRI Member

I followed the above procedure, and this is the result. It could have been better, but hey, not bad for being my first time.

It's worth mentioning that the superglue (cianoacrilate) interacted with the finish on the edges of the ding and caused a whitish rim about 1 mm thick. So I had to put the nail polish and the lacquer over that too.

después_IMG_1334.JPG después_IMG_1336.JPG

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
    milocj and eallen like this.
  18. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

Maybe remove the chip, press some wood filler into the void, shape it, then use a q-tip dab some dark wood stain over the filler.

It appears that you're not concerned with taking care of your gear, but when something bad happens, then you're concerned with taking care of your gear.

My best advice is this:

If you take care of your gear, your gear will take care of you.

19. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

In some light, yes. But under certain fluorescents (which are made in all sorts or tones) the blue becomes glaring. Black touch-up lacuer is east to get - black nail polish is usually lacquer, if you don't have a pro paint store or a Michaels or other craft that stocks lacquer touchup pens, or can't order them from Stewmac or on Amazon.

They're so easy to get that using Sharpie - which will look weird under some lights - just doesn't make sense.

20. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

This shows my age, but I got a ding just like that on a Jazzmaster back in ‘66. I bought some Testor’s gloss black and gloss brown model airplane paint and mixed it 5:1 black/brown. It took four applications to bring it nearly level. At that point I let it be. Today I’d probably fill it a little over level, let the paint cure, and wet sand and polish. Back then I was still in high school and I was satisfied with the ding no longer being obvious. When I traded the guitar, the music store salesman didn’t even notice the ding.

Luis Mendo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.