Dimensions of late '60s logo

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by UlricvonCatalyst, Jul 9, 2020.

1. UlricvonCatalyst

UlricvonCatalyst TDPRI Member

Hi all,

I wonder if anyone out there who has a late '60s Custom Tele, with this style of logo....

[​IMG]

....could do me the enormous favour of measuring the length, either of both words separately, or from the F of Fender to the R of telecaster. Measurement in millimetres would be much appreciated.

Alternatively, maybe somebody has a link to a site with official dimensions of the various logos used over the years?

This is for a custom logo for my Syd Barrett 'tribute' guitar - NOT, I must stress, a counterfeiting operation, but rather a custom-designed logo one of my OSG pals has magicked up for me. Just want the proportions to sit right on the headstock.

Hope someone here can help me with this.

2. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

You can calculate what you need from the picture. If you know one measurement, width of the string tree, tuner spacing or whatever, you can work out the scale and back calculate to the dimensions you need.

3. Kloun

Kloun Tele-Meister

If it helps I have an unapplied reproduction decal of that style of logo. If you want, I could do a hi resolution scan of it and either PM or email it to you so you can take your measurements directly from it. PM if you want a scan.

4. UlricvonCatalyst

Thanks, both of you, but as someone smarter than me has pointed out, "Google has the answer!"....

[​IMG]

Kloun likes this.
  5. derekwarner

derekwarner Tele-Meister

a. I am wondering what type of Logo alignment face tool was used during the late 60's to early 70's

b. Was there a Standard alignment footprint?

c. Or did the final sanding of the machine head profile alter the actual positioning of the Fender Logo and wording?

1st example here, best aligns top E string to the letter T
    2nd example here, best aligns top E string to the letter A
    3rd example here, best aligns top E string to the letter S

My money $ is the latter [both b. and c.] that .....there was a Standard alignment tool which hooked against the lower profile of the end curves of the machine head, so any discrete variance in the curved profile as sanded determined the alignment tool in it's final place & hence the discrete positional variance of the Logos

Derek

P1190475.JPG

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
  6. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

There was no alignment tool used. The line workers eyeballed the location and stuck it on. I've seen decals that had the top of one of the letters partially covered by the high E-string tuner bushing.

It was the same way at Gibson during in the Kalamazoo days: the women that applied the 'Les Paul model' signature decals to the headstocks eyeballed 'em. No two are exactly alike.

Fretting out likes this.
  7. derekwarner

derekwarner Tele-Meister

Well......if this simplistic eyeball method was used, this answers the question........so there is no specific placement used ......and all Telecsater logo placements were unique and so answers the OP's original question

I am comfortable with your comment & advice ....thankyou

Derek

8. UlricvonCatalyst

Actually my question was about dimension (length) rather than alignment - it was fairly apparent from the various headstocks I'd looked at that they weren't exactly alike - but I got my answer from a couple of google images, so it's all good.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.