1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

dimarzio virtual vintage?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by racehorse, Nov 23, 2004.

1. racehorse

racehorse Tele-Meister

Does anyone used one of these ? I did a search ,and found Pete Anderson , paid lip srevice to them but , on his web page the guitars seem to all have SD pups.

I am still looking for a pup for my latest MIM .I am going to go with just a bridge pup ,for a while.

The Idea of a noisless pup seems good , but do any of them sound good . I went to the SD site and listening to the clips of there offerings , I am not impressed.

I have always liked the dimarzio HB`a Over the similer SD HB`s.

any first hand experience with Tele virtual vintage?

Thanks Racehorse

2. gtrwrks

gtrwrks Tele-Afflicted

not on my tele, but...

i've got some in a strat. the virtual vintage series sounds great to me and they are dead silent. very quack-y. i've never heard the tele V-V pups. like most everyone's, they're good quality.

3. lukeness

lukeness Tele-Meister

Hi Racehorse,

I recently did install a Dimarzio Virtual T in my bridge... I don't know if there is a diff between the Vintage Virtual T or Virtual....

Anyhow, I said this in another post, but I hated it. I originally had a Seymour Duncan Vintage... and I ended up putting that back in.

The tone itself, as everyone would say, is very subjective... but to me it sounded too hot.

My biggest complaint was the wiring though. All four wires were seperated... with the ground wire being bare... a solid bare wire... not stranded. So if you bend it too much, it might break. I covered the whole wire so that it won't come in contact with other inappropriate contacts.

I've dealt with Seymour Duncans a lot... I've bought and installed 4 pickups from them so far. The quality is good. Their wires are all covered with a rubber cover, like an instrument cable... and under that, it's covered with foil for shielding and under that, the 4 wires are dipped in wax. To me, that's a lot more trouble they went thru than Dimarzio did.

So if you're gonna choose btwn the two... my opinion would be SD.

BUT... and this is a big BUT... I just installed a custom wound OC Duff pickup that was made for me, to my specs... and the sound is freakin' amazing.... At $65, it sure as hell beat up the Dimarzio and SD out of the water.

4. lukeness

lukeness Tele-Meister

Hi Racehorse,

I recently did install a Dimarzio Virtual T in my bridge... I don't know if there is a diff between the Vintage Virtual T or Virtual....

Anyhow, I said this in another post, but I hated it. I originally had a Seymour Duncan Vintage... and I ended up putting that back in.

The tone itself, as everyone would say, is very subjective... but to me it sounded too hot.

My biggest complaint was the wiring though. All four wires were seperated... with the ground wire being bare... a solid bare wire... not stranded. So if you bend it too much, it might break. I covered the whole wire so that it won't come in contact with other inappropriate contacts.

I've dealt with Seymour Duncans a lot... I've bought and installed 4 pickups from them so far. The quality is good. Their wires are all covered with a rubber cover, like an instrument cable... and under that, it's covered with foil for shielding and under that, the 4 wires are dipped in wax. To me, that's a lot more trouble they went thru than Dimarzio did.

So if you're gonna choose btwn the two... my opinion would be SD.

BUT... and this is a big BUT... I just installed a custom wound OC Duff pickup that was made for me, to my specs... and the sound is freakin' amazing.... At $65, it sure as hell beat up the Dimarzio and SD out of the water.

5. Ian

Ian Tele-Afflicted

Loud

I got one in the bridge of my Warmoth Tele. LOUD pup,boy!!! I got rid of the neck pup, it didn't blend with the bridge. Dead quiet, the tone's ok. Twangy enough, but the pup's power is very,very apparent when swapping guitars, ( going from my Warmoth to my stock MIM60's Strat , the volume difference is HUGE!!!).
    CHEERS!!!

6. racehorse

racehorse Tele-Meister

Thanks

Ian , do you know if it is the ,"vintage " or "hot" output pup you have?

Thanks

7. Ian

Ian Tele-Afflicted

It's just the "T" , I don't think the "Hot" version was out when I intalled em' ( @4 yrs ago)
    CHEERS!!!

8. TheBenLow

TheBenLow Tele-Meister

Good Pickups

I've got a Virtual Vintage Hot bridge and Duncan Neck stack in my CIJ 62' Tele Custom and I'm pretty happy with them. I don't think the Dimarzio is overly hot, loud or distorted and I play through a Marshall. I think you can get most Tele tones with these pickups too. Want some country picking? Turn up the treble and presence and turn down the volume. Want a more nasty sound? Bring up the gain. All in all I'd say they're very good pickups and very reliable.

9. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

V V's

I have a set in a poplar bodied homebrew and they sound very good indeed. As stated above, tone is subjective and it all depends on what your looking for. I use the hot t bridge and regualr v v neck pup. The neck pup is very open and strat like in tone. The bridge pickup pumps it out. Still has some twang, but more power and p-90 tone. Both respond well to vol and tone control tweaks.

I use various pickups....from neck buckers & P-90ish bridge pups to ultra vintage wind neck and bridge to the V V's. I like em all, but they all do different things. So, be sure what you want tone wise before making your pickup choice.

If you want quiet, beefy tones that sound very good, the V V's may be the right choice for you.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.