DiMarzio Twang Kings?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by MDMachiavelli, Nov 17, 2015.

1. MDMachiavelli

MDMachiavelli Tele-Afflicted

Anyone have experience with DiMarzio Twang King pickup sets for Telecaster. I play older, 70s, Outlaw type country music.

Thanks.

2. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Specs say Alnico 5 with 6.2kohms so they should be 'bright'. Pair them with 500k volume pots for more brightness or 250k volume pots for a bit darker take.

3. MDMachiavelli

Cool, thanks for the response. Do you have any suggestion on a particular brand of pots to get?

4. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I have only the bridge pickup. I would not call it classic tele twang, it's a warmer, more overwound sound, IMO. It does sound real good, though

5. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I have a set. Very great 'ol Tele tones, kinda Nocaster like. Neck is nice, not dark, kinda Stratty.

250 k audios and a .022 cap is perfect.

dewmonkey6 likes this.
  6. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have a set. ..or at least a bridge. I like it. Twangs all day. Not thin or brittle and not all new-school sounding like many hot pups.

7. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

I have a TK neck pup, sounds great, classic tones, great for old school country.

8. emisilly

emisilly Tele-Afflicted

I have a set in a recent build. They sound fantastic!! Yes, the neck is clearer, kinda Strat-like. The bridge is wound just a bit more than average. Spanky like a vintage bridge pickup but is a bit rounder and will push the front of your amp a tad more. A great, balanced sounding set. To answer the OP's question- yes, they'll sound GREAT for outlaw country. A vastly underrated set for sure.

9. barker

barker Tele-Meister

In my opinion they're the best price / performance aftermarket pups out there. I've tried at least 6 different sets in one of my teles, mostly fenders and a few Duncan's and the twang kings were the best.

The neck has the strat clarity with the tele warmth which is no small feat while still having output. These babies got volume.

The bridge can twang or bang depending on your settings. There are hotter / fatter pups out there as well as weaker / sparkly ones. These are goldilox tele pups imho.

Regular 250k fender pots are great, I always use a no-load tone pot for extra sparkle and to keep some clarity when the volume is rolled back. I prefer a 0.047uF tone capacitor for warmth when rolling back the tone. It does jazz really nice.

dewmonkey6 likes this.
  10. MDMachiavelli

Thanks, that is exactly what I will be using it for.

11. MDMachiavelli

Thanks, this is exactly the type of technical infor I was looking for. So if I buy a regular set of 250k pots I should be good to go? If I wanted to add that tone capacitor, should my guitar tech know what I'm talking about? Is that something he would have to add to the set of pots?

12. JG806

JG806 Tele-Holic

You may also consider the Dimarzio True Velvet T. Very much like the TKs but with a little more output and bass (I take that as a little more balls) . I've had the Velvet T in the bridge of a Tele for 6 years and have never thought once about changing it out. Dimarzio's website can give good info about the differences.

dewmonkey6 likes this.
  13. Itwang

Itwang Tele-Meister

I'm gonna go against the grain here, I've got a set in my partscaster and being tape wound instead of wax potted means they are super micro phonic. For me this means they make audible clicking sounds whenever you lightly touch them with pick, fingers etc. I can't really complain about the tone, they sound good, they just have that acute microphonic aspect that makes them not work out for me. Also, a set of OV's used is really a bargain as far as pickups go.........

14. barker

barker Tele-Meister

Yes regular fender solid shaft 250k audio taper pots are all you need. They usually come with a 0.022 uF capacitor. If you want the 0.047 uF you'll have to order that separately but I bet your tech has one lying around that he'd likely sell you. He'll know what do do with it if he knows what he's doing. Good luck!

15. MDMachiavelli

Again, thanks for the input. As you say he should know. I'll call him next week and talk to him about it. I'll also make sure he has one.

I appreciate it.

16. TNO

TNO Friend of Leo's

There was a time when TKs were one of the best choices on the market. Was one of the first neck pickups with a nickel silver cover for clarity. There are great pickups everywhere you turn these days.

17. MDMachiavelli

Give me some examples.

18. Leep Dog

Leep Dog Tele-Afflicted

I have a twang king in the neck of my Tele. I don't play country, but I think it's a really nice pick up. Very clear sounding.

19. rokdog49

rokdog49 Friend of Leo's

I had them in a couple of years ago and liked them a lot. I thought the bridge was twangy without being brittle and the neck is still my favorite among those I have tried.
    I went to a Broadcaster style (Rumpelstiltskin Black Rope) and Blues Special Aaron makes to go with it because I wanted a thicker twang, more output and the even more Strat-like Tone of the Blues Special. They are certainly a great set and I would recommend them.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.