DiMarzio Twang King compared to Duncan APTR-1

MajorSeven

TDPRI Member
Hi, I have a SD Jerry Donahue in the bridge position of my Yamaha Tele, which I like a lot. But as I couldn't find a suiting neck pickup so far I considered returning to the Chopper T for the bridge and to pair it with a Duncan Mini Humbucker in the neck position (totally different story, I launched a thread about that, thanks for the help I got there, but it also made me postpone that project because of the need to change pots and caps, which I am not very good at).

So now I will try to stick to the Donahue and find a better neck match than the APTR-1, which sounds really good, if it didn't have the volume drop when switching from the bridge to the neck.

I read a lot of good things about DiMarzio's Twang King, has anybody paired that one with the Donahue? Does a Twang King have higher output than the APTR-1?

Other recommendations for a neck pickup that suits the Donahue, drops into the standard Tele pickguard and works fine with 250k pots?

Thanks!

TinkerSolderTry

TDPRI Member
the twang king might have slightly more output than the APTR-1 but very lil if at all. it will be more clear and bright, but less middy so you may even perceive it lower in output.
the drop from bridge to neck will still be there.
u can use a hotter tele neck with awg44 (for example fender highway one) or somethin like that which looses the sweet top end though.

the weak neck is a tele bug/feature.

twisted tele neck or rio grande tallboy are more strat like but fit the tele route.

i tend to use a dedicated amp channel for the tele bridge and neck these days, or use a clean boost fir the neck.
but i will try a true strat PU and firebird neck in one of my next builds to achieve better volume balance between neck and bridge

Last edited:

SPUDCASTER

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
The aptr-1 has a plated brass cover. Most any other nickel silver covered neck pickup will usually have more clarity.

That may equate to more perceived output.

I had a JD paired with an O.C. Duff Big Boy that I liked. I'm now interested in the Cavalier Fat Lion King.

dougstrum

Friend of Leo's
I have Donahue in the bridge of one Tele; you will probably laugh at my choice for the neck pickup~dimarzio chopper~
Great combo, love both pickups, probably my favorite guitar.

Sax-son

Tele-Afflicted
I Love the Twang King set. Have them in my Thinline Tele and they are a great marriage. No experience with the Duncans. Twang Kings have just the right amoung of output.

nic'o'caster

Tele-Afflicted
The TK neck is one of the best neck pup for Tele because it's clear and balanced, in short words a versatile pickup. The APTR-1 should sound a bit darker and may be better suited for jazz if that's your thing. The middle position could be a bit more interesting with the Duncan because the 3 positions will sound a bit more different from each other than with the TK. That said the TK is so good you might end up playing it most of the time !