Dimarzio DP112 Pre B-1 vs SD STL-2 Hot Tele

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by aon8, Oct 18, 2020.

1. aon8

aon8 TDPRI Member

Looks like specs-wise these two aren't that different - both are Alnico 5 flat pole without the base plate and the DCR is in the same ballpark as well...

Anyone tried both of them? Are there any other similar pickups that I should consider?

2. JRapp

JRapp Tele-Meister

I have tried a SD Hot Tele a few times and they just have a weird EQ---lots of bass, high mids, no clarity. Does not sound like a P90. If the Dimarzio is similar, I wouldn't bother with either of them. There are plenty of 10K wound pickups out there that sound better.

3. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Afflicted

I have not tried sd hot tele~

I do have pre-b-1 and think it's a good pickup, full and not muddy, plenty bright, and bottom 2 strings have plenty of snap.
    Definitely worth a try~

Tommy Biggs and aon8 like this.
  4. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

The Pre B-1 used to get quite of bit of love here in the past. Tons of choices these days.

What are you looking for in a pickup?

Welcome to the forum.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  5. aon8

aon8 TDPRI Member

Thanks!

Looking for something with slightly toned-down highs (but not too muddy either) and enough output that it could balance reasonably well with a neck humbucker (probably sh-1n but I'm open to suggestiobs there as well, I've also considered the Dimarzio PAF master). Preferably flat poles on the bridge.. Going into a MIJ traditional 50's tele that I'm going to use for 70's blues/rock tones, not too concerned about the cleans as I have a strat for that.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.