1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

DiMarzio Area T or Hot T

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by revelation2012, Dec 25, 2012.

1. revelation2012

revelation2012 Tele-Meister

I have a tele that I am going to turn back into original tele configuration. I have some dirty electricity so I am going noiseless hence the Dimarzio Area pickups. I already have the neck pickup but need to get the bridge. I am on the fence with the Standard Area T Pickup or the Hot T. I play mostly classic rock stuff but I am leaning toward the regular Area pickup because I think it might have more dynamics. Do I necessarily need the Hot pickup to get Zepplin tones or good ZZ top tone to Tom Petty? Can I just get that with the regular Area Pickup? I like to play clean too.

Anyway which one should I get? Which would be more versatile? I can just use a boost pedal for more output? I want to go ahead and order this tomorrow sometime.

Thanks.

2. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

I put a set of Area T into my 68 tele after the neck pick-up blew. The Area T neck is now better than the original, the Area T bridge is pretty close to the original in tone with no noise and puts out plenty for me.

My Les Paul has hot pickups and I really didn't want them on the tele also.

We can always add dirt with a pedal but I tend to say pretty clean most of the time. I do the same styles of music plus Blues.

Best tele pickups I ever used - but of course haven't tried everything out there.

3. Kevinpenguin

Kevinpenguin TDPRI Member

There is a third option

There is a medium hot output Area T. Check it out. It has some boost, can rock with it, but i play a lot of country with my set. Works well for the Pete Anderson riffing. It's the Area T™ 615 DP424. Check it out. Very nice pickup matched with the neck pickup.

4. hal

hal Tele-Afflicted

I have an Area T hot in my partscaster. I have the original Virtual Vintage pups in my 68. I was going to get a regular Area T but my dealer suggested the Hot T. He said the term is a misnomer. It is just a rounder sound, more like a broadcaster pickup. I decided to go for it and I love it. It's a great match for the Duncan Antiquity HB I have in the neck. And I still get that glassy middle position sound( I call it Memphis) that I love.

Comparing it to Virtual Vintage original in my 68--it is a little less bright. I would not say it is much louder. Hope this helps!

5. LawDaddy

LawDaddy Tele-Holic

+1 on the Area T 615. It's got a different shimmer on the high strings that the others don't have, sort of a refined upgrade to my ears. It is indeed great for the Pete Anderson stuff.

6. revelation2012

The chart on Dimarzio shows it has even less mid and lows than the regular Area T but slightly more output. Is it more bright than the regular Area T?

Edit: However I am wondering if the 615 might be good for my tele as it is rosewood board and alder body. The mid scoop might be nice for this guitar and if I need more base perhaps raising the bass side of the pickup.

I guess in my first part of my post I play mostly blues. I don't know why I did not write that. Does this bridge pickup fit that style?

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  7. revelation2012

Okay I ordered the Dimarzio Area T 615. I also ordered a 4 way MojoTone kit. Looking forward to it.

8. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

We'll have to compare notes on the 615...

I'll be dropping one into a Reverend Buckshot this week, as I need a noiseless in the fully exposed bridge pup cavity. It will also have to balance with the Revtron neck bucker.

9. LawDaddy

LawDaddy Tele-Holic

Keep us updated. And, yes, it'll do blues just fine.

10. Hoodster

Hoodster Friend of Leo's

Bumping for more input on the 615 Bridge. I previously had the original Area T Bridge and probably should never have replaced it -- excellent pickup. But now I'm curious about the 615 since I have read nothing but raves about it.

Poca Distor likes this.
  11. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

615 doesn't keep up with a humbucker in the neck, but it is a nice sounding pup. imo

12. rokdog49

rokdog49 Friend of Leo's

I had that pup for a while and it is a nice "sweet-sounding" unit.
    Ended up with a overwound Broadcaster-type, A3 mags etc.....more growl and output.
    I think the 615 would be great for country and country pop.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.