1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

DiMarzio Area Hot T vs. 615?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by RBMusic, Jan 21, 2015.

1. RBMusic

RBMusic TDPRI Member

Anyone used both and can give a compare/contrast? Thanks

2. xhqm4457

xhqm4457 TDPRI Member

I'd like to know also. I have a "Hot" on order and had one a few years ago. Really liked it a lot. Does everything real well. My guess is less "stingy" high's than the 615. I would have ordered a 615 out of curiosity alone, but could not find one for sale on the GC site, which is where I needed to buy it from. The Hot does not leave "Tele-land" as some might thing. Still sounds like a Tele, just thicker. Great for rock, but can still do country. When it gets here I am going to install a no-load pot give me the option of a little extra high end if needed. Good luck, I hope you get a good comparison!

3. RBMusic

RBMusic TDPRI Member

Apparently Kinman has a new Tele bridge called the Tele Bridge Blaster. Probably similar to the Hot T. Sometimes I like DiMarzios better (usually) but Kinman has a few models of strat pickup that I like a lot, and his noiseless p90s are the only ones worthy of the name, so I'd be curious on a comparison there to.

This is for a Maple/Ash ASAT classic which is already naturally quite bright, so I'm cautious about doing anything to accentuate that and wouldn't mind tamping it down, if I could do that and still have it be, well, Tele-ish.

4. xhqm4457

xhqm4457 TDPRI Member

I think the Hot T would be perfect then, and the 615 might be suspect (reading other threads on it) for serious high's. But - I'd sure like to see what others have to say that have tried both.

5. Jethro

Jethro Tele-Afflicted

Don't mean to hog this thread, but can you elaborate on these Kinman Noiseless P90's?

Also, I have the AREA T Hot and love it. Very true to Tele bridge tone

6. RBMusic

RBMusic TDPRI Member

The kinman P90s are the only noiseless P90s out there that sound/feel like a P90. There are other attempts, Fralin/Barden/DiMarzio/Armstrong etc, but they are either PAF types hidden under P90 covers, Sidewinder types, or stacks using technology from the early 80s, and don't sound or feel like a P90. Kinman seems to be the only one who has figured out how to do that.

DiMarzio doesn't seem interested in doing an "Area 90". I've talked to them about it, they feel the P90 market is too small to invest the R&D.

So if you want something that really sounds like a P90 and doesn't hum loud like a P90, there really are no other options.

7. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

i haven't tried the 615... but i tried the hot area T for a bit. it sounded a lot like a tele bridge pickup... but a little flatter and obviously hotter. still had lots of treble, but not the glassy sparkle i like in a true tele single coil. on the other hand, it's probably the closest i've heard from a noiseless pup.

for what its worth, i switched to the dimarzio super distortion and haven't looked back. it's very clear and snappy... but with a much bigger bottom end and punch with the volume all the way up

8. RBMusic

RBMusic TDPRI Member

That's the super distortion T? Are you running it in series, parallel, or switching between the two?

I have the P90 Super Distortion in a Les Paul bridge, and in parallel with a resistor to create a 250k load, it does a nice Tele impersonation.

9. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

yup... super distortion T in series wiring (or whatever their standard configuration is... i'm 99% sure it's series)

aside from it being kinda ugly to me, i'm perfectly happy with the pup

10. Jethro

Jethro Tele-Afflicted

Hmm...good to know. I have a 2011 SG 60's tribute with the P90's. I love it's tone, but she is big time noisy. I will look into these Kinman's

Much appreciated,
    Jethro

11. Jethro

Jethro Tele-Afflicted

Here I go hogging this thread again :oops:

Wow....just went on Kinmans website and listened to all the soundfiles. I'm impressed. I may bite the bullet and go for a set. Any recommendations on which set? I'm thinking the regular Hx 90....the nasty set might be a bit too much as I play more clean

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.