Dilemma regarding the magic tone of the neck pickup

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by NorthenLights, Feb 25, 2020.

1. NorthenLights

NorthenLights TDPRI Member

A while ago I built a thineline partscaster. I swaped a no name solid body for the thinline, and although it sounds fantastic, I can't helt but miss the feel of a regular solid telecaster. There's just something with that feeling of purity and directness that you just don't get from any other type of guitar. So I decided to get ahold of another neck. You can never have too many partscasters, right? :)

The pickups in the thinline were made by David White. He was one of the first custom pickup winders, and his work is kinda revered. They are probably worth more than the rest of the new solid body will be when it's done. They are easily the best single coil pickups I have ever hear (though admitedly I haven't tried that many). The neck pickup is deep yet still clear, soft but still with a certain bite when you hit the strings harder. I'm thinking of moving them to the new build, as I think that's where they will really shine.

So that leaves the question of what pickups to get for the thinline. I don't think I will manage to find another set of David Whites, and even if I did they'd probably cost more than I am willing to pay for pickups these days. I've thought of tryin to find some 70's Maxon, since I like their humbuckers, but their tele pups don't come up very often either.
    Another option I'm considering is ditching singles altogether, and go with a 70's Gibson minihubucker that I have lying around. They are pretty popular in teles I believe. If I remember correctly, it's got both sparkle and bite, but not quite the depth or responsiveness of the singlecoil. I worry I will won't be as happy with it if I switch to another type of pickup.
    The problem is that neither the thinline nor the solid body have pickguards, so there will be nothing to cover up any routing. There's no going back once I decide.

So, what would you guy do? Any thoughts, advice, or other suggestions? Mind that I don't really care about the bridge pickup in the thinline. I'm using it mainly for jazz, so the bridge will mostly just sit there for the looks.

2. tonejam

tonejam Tele-Meister

So many choices. The Dimarzio Twang King will get you there.

zippofan likes this.
  3. elelpe

elelpe Tele-Afflicted

P-90 route. You can use P-90, P-90 sized hb/filtertron/gold foil, minihb/firebird mini in P-90 ring (it looks cool)... So many option. [​IMG]

4. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

That's an interesting pickup setup, nice!
    Work well?

5. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

You might want to look into a Charlie Christian type of pickup, although, they aren't inexpensive.

Thinline casket likes this.
  6. elelpe

elelpe Tele-Afflicted

Thank you. It does. Rawness from the bridge and clarity from the neck. And with P-90 route, I can do pickup experiments whenever I want to. I did similar thing to my Wildkat. P-90 ring acts like a pickguard. [​IMG]

7. kiwi blue

kiwi blue Tele-Afflicted

I would first try standard Tele pickups and only route for a different type if that didn’t satisfy me. Do you know the basic specs of your David White neck pickup? Resistance, magnet type, type and gauge of wire? That will give you a good starting point.

For non-standard size pickups you could check out Tim Lerch’s excellent YouTube demos of the Lollar Charlie Christian pickup. Come to think of it he also has one of Don Mare’s jazzy sounding Big Box Tele pickup.

8. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Cavalier Fat Lion King

9. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

FYI..I had a dead one (twang king) neck..on arrival this week. Measures zero on multim.

Back to the neck drawing board.

10. Penguin

Penguin TDPRI Member

Zhangbucker has some killer deals on his Specials page. I have a Telebucker 2 neck pickup and a Tarpaper bridge (8.5K A3) amazing handwound pickups!

http://www.zhangbucker.com/specials.html

I’ve had Don Mare, Dimarzio, Lollar, Fender CS and Jim Wagner pickups. The Zhangbuckers outshine them all to my ears and at a lower price than most.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.